U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,096 posts, read 1,833,400 times

Advertisements

What is it? We were talking about it at work, and none of us had the same concept as to what it is.

My thoughts were it was anything that made preparing food easier. If one were to follow that thought, then flour would be a convenience food - I could grind my own wheat berries to make my own flour.

I do make most of my food from scratch, and I do grind my own bean flour, but never thought that buying a sack of flour as convenience food.

I make a lot of my own mixes, but am not above buying them if I can get them cheaper than my making them. Sometimes I get them because I have a lot to do, and it does make it easier/faster - such as having a dinner party, I might by frozen sliced peppers rather than slicing them up myself.

What do you think? What is convenience food to you? Do you use them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,989,809 times
Generally, I believe "convenience food" is the pre-manufactured stuff that has a picture of itself on the box. You either take it out of the box and stick it in your mouth, sometimes it is even soft and doesn't need much chewing, or you heat it up - sometimes still in the box - and then eat it. Either way, if you have to do much of anything to it it isn't classified as "convenience" anymore.

Convenience food is also the kind of stuff you get at the gas station. Chips with some sort of bizarre sauce on them, hot dogs, microwaved this and that, etc. We can get Spam musubi at our gas stations, but since that is an unwrap and eat sort of thing, it would be a convenience food.

I grind wheat for flour but will also have a bag of store bought white flour around for various purposes. I consider it an ingredient and not a convenience food. Anytime you have to put more than three things together and then process it somehow, it isn't in the convenience food category anymore, IMHO.

We don't use much convenience foods since they are generally unhealthy and they are also generally a lot more expensive. A box of instant oatmeal packets is sort of convenience food but by buying the ingredients separately - rolled oats, brown sugar, milk powder, cinnamon and raisins, we can make better instant oatmeal mix a lot cheaper than buying it. AND it doesn't have all those weird chemicals in it either.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,977,657 times
Convience foods to me is anything pre-processed. It does cost more over "from scratch" and is full of chemicals and preservatives.
I do as much "from scratch" as possible given that I work full time.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,889,726 times
Convenience Food = I can eat it raw...

Old 05-09-2009, 01:58 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,096 posts, read 1,833,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston3 View Post
convenience food = i can eat it raw...
:d

Old 05-10-2009, 03:15 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,821,633 times
Food that requires very little preparation. Like rotisserie chickens, premade subs and sandwiches from the grocery store, frozen pizza etc.

Not to be confused with the fast food we get at restaurants.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,598,438 times
"Convenience food" is anything someone else cooks and serves to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living