U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:08 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times

Advertisements

Frugality means different things to different people. Some people might consider my family frugal while others consider us extravagant. How do you define it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:19 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesFex View Post
Iím frugal because I want to get the most value out of every dollar that leaves my wallet. That means I donít necessarily buy the cheapest things if the cost of repeated replacement would be more than a better quality item and I make do with what I have as long as I can.

I live within my means;save money and manage my finances;but I am not obsessed like you describe on every penny.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:22 PM

42,225 posts, read 49,783,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Frugality means different things to different people. Some people might consider my family frugal while others consider us extravagant. How do you define it?
That's so true. We may wonder why people would want to shop at Neiman's...but someone else might wonder why we shop at Dillards when we could get clothes at Target...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times
...And those who shop at the thrift store may wonder why you shop at Target.

My family thinks I'm extravagant because I pay for grocery delivery. I consider myself frugal because it allows my family of four to live with only one car.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM

29,724 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Forest Beekeeper, I've seen your posts on other threads and they are interesting. I have a friend who wants me to move to Southern Maine, inland. You quoted your prop taxes somewhere, and they were so low. We were looking at Sanford, Shapleigh and Wells areas. Only thing is we would want to avoid private water/sewer, as there's not much in the budget to take care of those things if anything goes wrong. Are there inland towns that have public water/sewer and low prop taxes that are not far out in the country? Being in our 60s we're no longer able to do back to the land. Thanks for your insights...

~~NewEnglGirl
Low tax areas are available because most of Maine is 'Unorganized Township's.

UTs have no municipal services.

No town clerk, no PD, no FD, no building inspector, no selectmen, no town hall.

See all those folks on the pay roll, push the taxes up a lot.

Every guy on the pay roll, means that taxes had to be raised somewhere to be able to pay him.

A municipal water treatment plant, and a municipal sewage treatment plant, are both small parts of an urban infrastructure. Many small organized towns do not provide municipal water and sewer.

So you would have to stay away from the low tax UTs. And really you would have to avoid the medium tax small towns too.

In the scale of municipal services that a town could provide, municipal water and sewer are pretty far down the list.

All those folks on the payroll push the taxes right up there.

I think that you would have a dog catcher on the payroll, before you had water and sewer.

I am so sorry girlly. A well does cost a couple thousand, and a septic system can easily cost that much too.

Unfortunately Maine requires a septic system. Once installed they do not require that you use it though. A person could use an out house, or an indoor composting toilet. We have looked very closely at composting toilets. But by law you must have a septic system first.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
If you read this, I would love a step by step process of how I can save 50% off of my groceries. I want to do it so badly...
I can't take credit for all of it and depending where you live, you may simply not be able to.
A lot of the great saving is due to the (regional) store I use.
It not only doubles coupons but usually puts on sale the items that the Sunday paper has coupons for.
Although more and more, they are introducing their own brand, they still carry a wide selection of brand name items.
The register is set to reject when the savings is higher than the amount owed but the cashier is allowed to override that.
Along with the savings I mentioned, the computer also kicked out a coupon for $7 for my next trip and added another 10 cents (per $50 spent) a gallon off on gas.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM

156 posts, read 605,334 times
We have a good solid income (one-income family, but the salary is a good one in the low six figures), and the more money my husband makes, the more frugal I become! It's crazy...I'm not sure how/why it happened....maturity, perhaps! LOL!

We don't wear designer clothes, we pay cash for our cars, and we love shopping at thrift stores. We eat out maybe 2-3 times a month, buy all our groceries at Walmart, don't have cable (and don't miss it). My kids do not have the latest/greatest electronic must-haves (never owned a video gaming system, and our cell phones are Tracfones). In fact, I wanted to get my DD an Ipod for her 16th birthday, and she didn't want one! She said her ($25 from Walmart) MP3 player from Walmart suited her needs just fine. I'm proud of raising my children to be so non-materialistic. The one thing we do splurge on is vacations...my husband gets 20 days of vacation a year, and we use all of them. We usually go to Disney for 10-12 days a year, and some other "domestic" vacation for the remainder.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:54 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's so true. We may wonder why people would want to shop at Neiman's...but someone else might wonder why we shop at Dillards when we could get clothes at Target...
I like getting something from Neiman's (ON SALE) especially since Mr. Stanley Marcus lived around the corner from me. What's even more fun is mixing it up with something cheap and everyone thinking it's all expensive. I've even worn fake watches from Canal Street with expensive stuff to nice places and fooled folks.

I don't take it seriously but it's kind of fun and it reveals the absurdity of materialism.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM

596 posts, read 2,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can't take credit for all of it and depending where you live, you may simply not be able to.
A lot of the great saving is due to the (regional) store I use.
It not only doubles coupons but usually puts on sale the items that the Sunday paper has coupons for.
Although more and more, they are introducing their own brand, they still carry a wide selection of brand name items.
The register is set to reject when the savings is higher than the amount owed but the cashier is allowed to override that.
Along with the savings I mentioned, the computer also kicked out a coupon for $7 for my next trip and added another 10 cents (per $50 spent) a gallon off on gas.
This is incredible information. How can I learn which grocery stores double or triple coupons without actually drive to every grocery store? Is there some listing of which companies typically do...or dont do this?

Thanks so much.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 6 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,499,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
This is incredible information. How can I learn which grocery stores double or triple coupons without actually drive to every grocery store? Is there some listing of which companies typically do...or dont do this?

Thanks so much.
I found this site but I would still call ahead as it may not be current. Scroll down to your state and find the stores that double and triple coupons.

Double Coupon Grocery Stores - Grocery Coupon Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or