U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,364,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
This is incredible information. How can I learn which grocery stores double or triple coupons without actually drive to every grocery store? Is there some listing of which companies typically do...or dont do this?

Thanks so much.

There are also coupon forums on the internet. Before the internet it wasn't as easy to get information, now you can get it all the time. Here's an example of one, I noticed (in the few times I looked) on other shopping forum sites there are posts of people who go and buy things and pay only a few dollars for many bags of stuff.

Coupon Forum :: Index - CouponForum.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 PM

224 posts, read 593,199 times
I'm not as frugal as I should be, but then I'm not well off so maybe I can't relate on this topic. But we do things that other families of our community might not do, like no cable. Why have it when we can watch our fav shows on the net for free, and no home phone. We just use our cells so we don't have a third bill. And instead of buying retail, I get alot of our clothes at the Goodwill, it may sound bad but I actually get alot of name brand stuff there and in good condition. Sure makes the clothing bill cheaper. And I plan to can whatever I grows in my garden this year, that means buying less frozen veggies next winter. Why spend more when you really don't have to, no matter what income level you have... Sometimes less is more and alot more hassle/stress free.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:00 PM

16,045 posts, read 18,263,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I found this site but I would still call ahead as it may not be current. Scroll down to your state and find the stores that double and triple coupons.

Double Coupon Grocery Stores - Grocery Coupon Guide
Great info, thanks! Are these the coupons that you get in the local newspapers or in the in-store flyers?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great info, thanks! Are these the coupons that you get in the local newspapers or in the in-store flyers?
That link just provided a list of stores by state that offer double and sometimes triple "manufacturer" coupons. Check with your local store first to confirm.

Now to find manufacturer coupons you can:
1. E-mail the company like Kraft and ask them for coupons.
2. Get them from the Sunday newspaper.
3. Get them from magazines.
4. Find them in grocery stores(sometimes).
5. Go on-line for printable coupons at places like Coupons | Online Coupons.
6. Buy them on E-bay which I have never done so far.
7. Start a neighborhood coupon swap.

Here is a link for Printable coupons from Kraft:

Kraft Coupons Expire on 6-13-09

Remember a coupon is only good if it is for a product you will use.

I also post a lot of freebies and offers here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/deals...ns-free-stuff/

Old 05-24-2009, 01:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times
Quote:
They wanted to 'try it' and so I brought one of them to the Salvation Army during one of my visits there. (Now, I personally like to divide and conquer, or be left alone to go through things item by item, practically...) Well this woman would not get off of my heels and made comments and looked around at everything as if it was coated in slime and infectious! I cut my shopping short because I was far from enjoying myself. There is just no convincing her that you can find great deals, cheap. She wanted no part of it. This couple is in debt up to their eyeballs in credit card bills, etc. Oh well, to each his own
It's called being lazy.

I know people who are deep in debt, too. If you give them tips, they don't listen. They just aren't willing to make the effort it takes to get themselves organized.

BTW, I find great stuff at the Salvation Army all the time. It is really so much fun to come out of there with $200 worth of clothes for $15.

W.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 PM

596 posts, read 2,494,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
It's called being lazy.

I know people who are deep in debt, too. If you give them tips, they don't listen. They just aren't willing to make the effort it takes to get themselves organized.

BTW, I find great stuff at the Salvation Army all the time. It is really so much fun to come out of there with $200 worth of clothes for $15.

W.
I hear you there. Its almost become a hobby for me but with the excellent twist of covering more than a small share of our needs. We dont cringe, we embrace it. We buy everything from furniture to shoes, clothes, tools, coats - there is no end to what you can get and it isnt disgusting...alot of the things I find even have tags, still. I think stores donate, modeling shows donate, entire homes are cleared to Salvation Army, and with the number of amazing antiques I have come across, sometimes Granny's attic is emptied to the place and sold as .99c junk when it may truly be priceless...At times I want to boast about it and at other times I almost want to keep it a secret

Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,809,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
It's called being lazy.

W.
Some people have a real knack for finding bargains on clothes at Salvation Army - they have an extensive wardrobe and always look like a million dollars. I wish I had that knack!

But I'm the type of person who needs to try clothes on before I buy them. Or if I don't try them on, I need to be able to return them. And you can't do that at Salvation Army.

So I do the next best thing - I shop at bargain stores. I find deals for myself and my family at Walmart, JC Penney, Kohl's, Target, even Costco. When you shop the sales and use store coupons you can find some pretty good buys on new clothes, too .

Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM

21 posts, read 305,318 times
Quote:
How do those with great income and nice things and by all appearances seem to be like any other individual/family manage to continue being frugal when others are "pulling" for restaurant meals, shopping trips to malls, etc? We ENJOY being frugal, but we are not necessarily poor. We find the spending of other's kind of wasteful but we dont judge - its their own choice. But its hard sometimes when they want to do something expensive and we're just not into it as much as going to the park/beach/lake/playing games/free concerts, etc etc. Its almost like the opposite of keeping up with the Joneses.

My wife & I currently make more money than ever before in our 25+ years of marriage. In addition, with our kids grown, we have less expenditures.

Even so, we still are very frugal. Generous, but frugal.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
I have a pretty high income (sub six figures but only just) and I try to be frugal too. I recently lost a lot of weight so I had to keep buying new clothes and it was killing me to spend all that money on clothes that I knew I probably would not get to wear for very long! Now that I am at my goal weight it is less traumatic but I still buy clothes at stores like Target, Old Navy, etc because I think it is better value for money.

I do not eat out very often and I try to pay attention to what is on sale, sometimes I will go to 2-3 stores on the same day to get items on sale and I plan my route to be efficient on my shopping trip. I need to start clipping coupons but I do not want to buy a paper every week, it makes so much trash, and I have not been able to find a good coupon site; can anyone recommend one that will not flood my email with spam?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have a pretty high income (sub six figures but only just) and I try to be frugal too. I recently lost a lot of weight so I had to keep buying new clothes and it was killing me to spend all that money on clothes that I knew I probably would not get to wear for very long! Now that I am at my goal weight it is less traumatic but I still buy clothes at stores like Target, Old Navy, etc because I think it is better value for money.

I do not eat out very often and I try to pay attention to what is on sale, sometimes I will go to 2-3 stores on the same day to get items on sale and I plan my route to be efficient on my shopping trip. I need to start clipping coupons but I do not want to buy a paper every week, it makes so much trash, and I have not been able to find a good coupon site; can anyone recommend one that will not flood my email with spam?

Congratulations to you on making your goal weight. That is fantastic. You can find coupons at Coupons | Online Coupons. Also check out the freebie forums and these other threads.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/deals...ns-free-stuff/

Kraft Coupons Expire on 6-13-09

Any Good Sites with Printable Coupons?

What are your favorite websites for DEALS, PRODUCT INFO, DISCOUNTS and COUPONS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or