U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times

Advertisements

FWIW - many people define themselves by how much money they earn/borrow/spend and not what they are getting or doing. They wish to appear prosperous like the lady badmouthing everything in the starvation army store.

As for our buying too many books; the books we buy are in addition to the books we borrow from our excellent public library. The library also has a much faster Internet connection that I care to pay for. We save the most money by buying used cars that have reached the plateau of decrepitude but are still capable of another 100k or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 AM

4,007 posts, read 9,887,667 times
We live frugally.

For us, frugality means living BELOW our "means."

We owe on the house, that is it. We use cash for things we buy and have a budget that we live on.

We could survive for one year on our savings (without dipping in to our retirement accounts, it is in an actual savings account for the sole purpose of emergencies.)

DH and I teach a program similar to Dave Ramsey called Crown Financial at our church. We feel that if we teach it, we need to live it.

It took us over 2 years to get out of debt with our cars and student loans, but we did it.

We now look at money VERY differently than we used to.

Our next goal is to see if we can sell this house and buy one we can pay off in as few years as possible.

Dawn

Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
But I'm the type of person who needs to try clothes on before I buy them. Or if I don't try them on, I need to be able to return them. And you can't do that at Salvation Army.
Each year, my wife buys me 10 pairs of shoes from the Salvation Army for $20-40 TOTAL. Of the ten pairs, two don't meet my tastes, four do not fit well, and two or three are winners. Many of the shoes are Rockports, New Balance, Dexters, etc.

So I get two-three great pairs of shoes for $20, and the small tax deduction for donating the rest back to the Salvation Army.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,933,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That link just provided a list of stores by state that offer double and sometimes triple "manufacturer" coupons. Check with your local store first to confirm.

Now to find manufacturer coupons you can:
1. E-mail the company like Kraft and ask them for coupons.
2. Get them from the Sunday newspaper.
3. Get them from magazines.
4. Find them in grocery stores(sometimes).
5. Go on-line for printable coupons at places like Coupons | Online Coupons.
6. Buy them on E-bay which I have never done so far.
7. Start a neighborhood coupon swap.

Here is a link for Printable coupons from Kraft:

Kraft Coupons Expire on 6-13-09

Remember a coupon is only good if it is for a product you will use.

I also post a lot of freebies and offers here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/deals...ns-free-stuff/

You're right about coupons only being good if they're for products you actually use.

I find that too often they are for junk food or for items that cost a lot more than the "own brand" version.

I tend to look for the two-for-one deals in-store and marked on the shelves on stuff like shower gel, toothpaste etc.

It makes more sense for me to go direct to the product manufacturer websites for coupons, or to use the coupons printed on the till receipt - they are usually for the actual products I use, or a similar product.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 AM

929 posts, read 1,824,067 times
There are many frugal millionaires. That's a big reason they became millionaires. They now how to get the best bang for their bucks and they are also good at earning those bucks.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,809,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Each year, my wife buys me 10 pairs of shoes from the Salvation Army for $20-40 TOTAL. Of the ten pairs, two don't meet my tastes, four do not fit well, and two or three are winners. Many of the shoes are Rockports, New Balance, Dexters, etc.

So I get two-three great pairs of shoes for $20, and the small tax deduction for donating the rest back to the Salvation Army.
Your wife's a smart lady. I'll need to try that sometime .

The clearance rack at the shoe store can also be a good deal - just make sure the shoes fit really well before you buy them because they probably won't be returnable.

I just picked up two pairs of nice sandals for $36. I would have spent $80 on them if I had bought them only a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or