U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 AM

171 posts, read 375,896 times

Advertisements

I'm fascinated by this forum, so apologize if posting to older threads is an issue....

FWIW, I do not see mental illness here. An alternative lifestyle? Definitely. I think there is far too much that we do not know for people to be lobbing around the notion that your friend is mentally ill. For one, her choices only effect her. She has shelter. She has transportation. We don't know about her food, her health insurance or her savings. It sounds like she is happy and her basic immediate needs are met. That's more than many people who have "done everything right" and lost their jobs and eventually their homes anyway.

Perhaps she was really ready to move on from her previous career, and needed to do something more extreme in order to make that happen?

I've moved in and out of the traditional workforce, and took time out to travel, worked temp jobs and so on in my 20s and early 30s. (Am 38 now.) IME, there is always some sort of work to be done if you have skills and a decent work ethic.

I imagine the older you get, regardless of the reason, that you face more barriers to traditional "good job" employment, We just don't know with your friend though. Maybe she'll be out for a few years, and figure out a more lucrative path? Maybe she'll start a business of some kind with savings or talent we do not know about? It is also entirely possible that certain industries might love to have someone like her on board. For example, I had an easy time landing "traditional" gigs working for tour operators, a study abroad program, wrote a few travel articles and so on based on my non-traditional choices.

And to echo pps, you can grow a lot of food in containers or relatively small plots. Remember, your friend is only feeding herself.

Anyway, if you're still reading, what ended up happening to your friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living