U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times

Advertisements

This needs to happen for me, however, i have yet to make this happen. I budget around 215 bucks per month, and probably spend closer to 300 (including wine). part of my problem is i avoid eating certain foods, im not a big fan of grains. i know its possible, as i make my own lunches and all that, i just have to get on it and track how much i actually spend. i need to start buying in bulk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,304,793 times
You have to be a little price conscious. We have one store that sells rotisserie chicken for 9.00 and another store selling it for 5.00. I never buy the 9.00 one. I can't imagine how they sell any at that price.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
You have to be a little price conscious. We have one store that sells rotisserie chicken for 9.00 and another store selling it for 5.00. I never buy the 9.00 one. I can't imagine how they sell any at that price.
it comes down to quality. ive had 13 dollar ones and they were superior in every way. of course this is just pre made chicken. i need to do a price comparison on meat. i shop at whole foods, and i almost only buy their 365 brand, everything else is way over priced, but even their 365 brand is over priced on a few items. i can get non rbgh beef for 5.99 lb, the other super markets carry it for the same price, but the regular rbgh treated beef. i just have to buy in bulk and freeze it, something ive been neglecting to do.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 PM

15,174 posts, read 15,218,690 times
I got 5 pounds of chicken legs on sale today, $4.19.......it will make about 5 meals.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 AM

742 posts, read 1,159,820 times
Since this thread was originally started almost 4-1/2 years ago, it is still possible to spend less than $150 a month on a healthy diet? This would be for two people, one of whom doesn't do so well on a strictly vegetarian diet so there will be meat in the diet. I'll have to see if I can do this for the rest of the year. :-)

Old 10-29-2013, 10:34 AM

22,688 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Since this thread was originally started almost 4-1/2 years ago, it is still possible to spend less than $150 a month on a healthy diet? This would be for two people, one of whom doesn't do so well on a strictly vegetarian diet so there will be meat in the diet. I'll have to see if I can do this for the rest of the year. :-)
the healthiness of fruits and vegetables are very overrated. they aren't needed in great quantities in a healthy diet, they are more filler for their taste and texture. plain rolled oats are way healthier. meat can be had for .99 a pound or less if you watch for sales so you can eat for under $150 and include that.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM

12,775 posts, read 9,443,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Here's another tip: If you've bought too many veggies, don't let them rot in your refrigerator's crisper drawer. Puree them in a food processor or blender with a little water, freeze the concoction in an ice cube tray, and add a cube or two to other foods for a nutritional boost next time you cook.
This is an excellent idea.I like your suggestion on the pancakes. Please give me some ideas on what you do with them. I'm a fan of Rattatouie,(sp?) Lots of veges, tomatoes, eggplant zuchini, served with parmeson cheese. yummy and cheap.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,777,139 times
This thread reminds me of my immigrant grandmother. She knew her way around a grocery budget! Basically, you pair the low cost foods everybody has mentioned with cooking in bulk and living on frozen and reheated meals that you cooked on your day off. Have a pitcher of water in the fridge, and maybe also a cheap lemonade/fruity drink mix when you (or the grandkids) want something sweet. It's not a glamorous way to live, but you do what you have to sometimes. Time is just as big an obstacle as cost. We could all do this easily if we had all day to plan meals out. But nobody does. We all have busy lives. Eventually, you figure out what foods keep better than others. She didn't make rice often, for example, because it doesn't freeze well at all.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,443,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
This thread reminds me of my immigrant grandmother. She knew her way around a grocery budget! Basically, you pair the low cost foods everybody has mentioned with cooking in bulk and living on frozen and reheated meals that you cooked on your day off. Have a pitcher of water in the fridge, and maybe also a cheap lemonade/fruity drink mix when you (or the grandkids) want something sweet. It's not a glamorous way to live, but you do what you have to sometimes. Time is just as big an obstacle as cost. We could all do this easily if we had all day to plan meals out. But nobody does. We all have busy lives. Eventually, you figure out what foods keep better than others. She didn't make rice often, for example, because it doesn't freeze well at all.
I have the time, but I really hate to cook. I make really simple dishes, lots of casseroles, love the slow cooker, don't like to fuss. I know I should plan meals, but that's just not going to happen.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 AM

785 posts, read 770,667 times
Keep in mind that what is one persons $150 dollars is not another. For instance is she buying every bit of food she will be consuming that month? Or is she shopping sales, stocking and eating off of those in addition to new purchases. That 150 dollars a month may not even include stocking dollars. That might be a second pot. I am broke this pay period and decide that 100 or less would have to suffice for two for two weeks. It's easy enough to plan some menus, when I have some back up. So, I bought lots of fresh veg, some bread, cheese, grains. I already have enough chicken and hamburger to last me this time and may even have some left over. So the weeks menu this week is a bit over 50 dollars. in this weeks output. I'm using food that's available at home. That's why it's importan to always pick up extras on sale, and keep staples stocked. So, this week as been meatoaf with potato/cauliflower mash, chicken verde tacos, home made felafels. beans and rice. Potato and broccoli bake with cheese, Vegetarian pizza, and tamale pie. Those meals make left overs from lunch. My staples from my shopping trip, were onions, potatoes, broccoli, caulifower, lettuce and cabbage. Also some cream beans, cheese, and other items like coffee. What I already had here at home was chicken, hamburger, bread, nann, eggs, baking mix, cornmeal for cornbread. So, I'm not buying every single thing for the week on just 55 dollars or so. My play is to serve the dinner meals, use left overs for lunches and keep breakfasts simple. A poached egg on a piece of toast. A bowl of oatmeal with chopped apples and with peanut butter in it. Sliced apples wich peanut butter and toast or as a sandwich. Use the chicken and hamburger scraps and veggie peelings to create a broth, drain and add sauteed onions, mushrooms, and garlic and celery if you have it. then add veggies, a can of tomatoes and Parmesan and noodles and you have an Italian vegetable soup for lunches. Drinks are tea, water, or coffee. I think the hard part is to think about not having what you think you have to have. I remember as a child being quite happy with a peanut butter sandwich, an egg and piece of toast. A piece of toast, peanut butter sandwich, carrots and apples for snacks. It seems like now we seem to want to have something special. Something prepared, but when I was child no one was fixing me things to eat. Dinner but everything else was use the food we have to heat up soup, eat off left overs, old bread, peanut butter, tuna. It was all good. I'm hoping I stay within my 100 dollar a week for food for the two weeks Im working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living