U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,760,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This was a side topic from another thread. I have a friend who is a single woman that claims she lives on a $150/month food budget. Some people thought this was doable, but I couldn't see how.

So... this seems like a good topic for a thread. How do you guys do it? I'm open to the idea but I can't quite grasp how you eat three nutritious meals a day on $5 a day. Please give as many specifics as possible, and remember I'm talking about living on a budget like that all year long (this person is not fasting or trying to lose weight). A grocery list would be great.
Buy bulk from Costco and freeze everything once you get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 PM

455 posts, read 840,077 times
I'm amazed that in the entire time this thread has been up, no one has mentioned the Coupon Mom system. I'm just beginning to use it and I'm saving at least 50% on all my grocery store purchases. TP, paper products, cleaning supplies, personal care items.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 AM

483 posts, read 433,295 times
Quote:
This was a side topic from another thread. I have a friend who is a single woman that claims she lives on a $150/month food budget. Some people thought this was doable, but I couldn't see how.

So... this seems like a good topic for a thread. How do you guys do it? I'm open to the idea but I can't quite grasp how you eat three nutritious meals a day on $5 a day. Please give as many specifics as possible, and remember I'm talking about living on a budget like that all year long (this person is not fasting or trying to lose weight). A grocery list would be great.
I can live on less than 100...

Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
BOGO is a good place to start. bread (freeze the extras), cereal, milk, etc. Buy various greens as needed for both salads and as sandwich stuffers. Mix up the lunch meats with cheap canned tuna and good quality sliced turkey, ham, beef. Nothing wrong with PBJ either. Pasta, rice, tortillas, hamburger, chicken....multiple types of meals with that. And buy fresh fruit frequently so you can have some everyday without waste. Put it in salads, eat by themselves, make a dessert out of then (Hershey suryp and bananna, apple slices with carmel...yumm). That's how I would approach things.

Supplement with low cost eating out. A couple of tacos from a taqueria will set you back $3, a $10 thai takeout dish will be good for 2-3 servings, etc. Do that once a week if you like, that way you don't feel deprived and won't waste money buying speciality ingredients that will only be used occasionally.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:17 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
BOGO is a good place to start.
What is a BOGO?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM

14,933 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What is a BOGO?
Buy One Get One (free)

Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM

318 posts, read 738,480 times
Talking I eat happily on $1.50 a day.

I eat on about $50/month. No joke. Including drinks & the occasional doughnut, soda, and lunch with coworkers/friends (which comprises a good 40% of my budget).

Grocery list:
1. Spices, spices, spices! A MUST in terms of "investments" when you're on a tight budget.
2. Flour, for making Chapati (kind of tastes like a thicker, chewier tortilla but can be seasoned to anyone's taste and 8 of these [silver-dollar pancake size], a huge meal, works about to 20 cents!)
3. Cooking oil, for making Chapati
4. Ramen. Ramen is cheaper than other types of pasta, and works out to a 15-30 cent meal (depending on how hungry I am lol). Nuff said.
5. Rice. Can be seasoned to anyone's taste and costs, at least where I live, about $1/lb
6. Potatoes. I live in a region that is the second largest grower of potatoes in the States and when I can't get them for free, I end up paying no more than 50 cents a pound.
7. Bread. Bread and butter works, too, at least if you get your bread on the discount shelf for <75 cents/loaf

Yeah, my diet sucks @ss but it keeps me alive and lets me work less and enjoy life more!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
I make a menu for every mon &tues ieat arice dish. Evert wed &thur i eat beans every fri &sat ieat fish on sunday i have a new york steak. The steak i buy at safeway in the clearance section usually about $3, sometmes there are two in one. Package the fish i get at a salvage grocery store $5-for 3lb bag (fish is from usa) i buy my hamburger from same store $9,99. for 3lbs ihad a garden and my tomatoes and sauces were free except for the spices where most of them come from dollar store every evening i have a big bowl of salad to make sure i get my veggies i sually buy a bag of yams $3'i get my bread free because i live in a senior apt and the food bank delivers bread to us i cook a oats in my crockpot once a week and i dont put any milk or anything in my cereal because i put applesauce in my oats while cooking for the sweetness i drink green tea i make twice a week in a gallon jar and keep in the fridge also my salad is organic and cost $5 twice a month its a big tub i also get at safeway sorry i dont know the total for the month but i know its less than $150'

Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM

505 posts, read 547,176 times
Top Sirloin Steak on sale here $2.59/lb at the local supermarket every couple weeks.

I eat 1 lb per day which is $2.59 * 30 = $77.7 Plus some Diet root beer, hot sauce, salt, pepper... muli-vitamin, baking soda...

Just pretend living in the artic circle and eat fish steak every day.

If someone decide to USPS/UPS/FedEx me Fruits/Vegies to artic circle, I would be happy to accept them.
Just do not ask me to cough up a penny for your idea.

Quote:

Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Most of our garden did well this year.

A friend who runs traplines on my land brought us mushrooms yesterday. We host a potluck the last Sunday of every month, just for folks in our town. He brought us 30 pounds of maitake mushrooms.

So this evening we had stuffed mushrooms, buy they are good. They taste like butter.

We grow a lot of beans. My Dw has developed recipes to use bean-flour to make breads, pizza crust, cookies, snack crackers, and fudge brownies all from beans. Wheat-free.

Last week was our regional Organic fair. [They got 27,000 non-members on Saturday] My Dw and I do a demo of all her bean-flour recipes at the fair. Which is a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living