U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM

21,543 posts, read 26,155,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Most of our garden did well this year.

A friend who runs traplines on my land brought us mushrooms yesterday. We host a potluck the last Sunday of every month, just for folks in our town. He brought us 30 pounds of maitake mushrooms.

So this evening we had stuffed mushrooms, buy they are good. They taste like butter.

We grow a lot of beans. My Dw has developed recipes to use bean-flour to make breads, pizza crust, cookies, snack crackers, and fudge brownies all from beans. Wheat-free.

Last week was our regional Organic fair. [They got 27,000 non-members on Saturday] My Dw and I do a demo of all her bean-flour recipes at the fair. Which is a lot of fun.
You do know there is a thread in the Food and Beverage forum for recipes, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 AM

449 posts, read 1,432,199 times
I know we could keep it around $200. Problem is we have one person who doesnt like any of the cheaper foods, not eggs, rice, beans etc. so that increases our costs.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 AM

491 posts, read 572,847 times
I find Bountiful Baskets to be a huge help. For 16.50 I get more veggies and fruits than I can eat in 2 weeks.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 AM

11,651 posts, read 17,066,329 times
My husband just has to have meat with every meal. If it wasn't for him we would do fine on 200 per month. Right now we spend about 350 for a family of 3 per month.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,684,911 times
I try to keep our grocery bill at $400 a month for the 4 of us. This doesn't count pet foods or paper products. It means 2-3 meatless meals a week as well as very little processed foods and growing some veggies. I have pantry shelves and extra fridge/freezer in the garage. So I stock up on good sale items, blanch and freeze fruits and veggies. I hate coupons and think people end up buying stuff they normally wouldn't just cause they have coupons. How is that saving money?

Wish I could cut my grocery bill but don't see how I can. Some neighbors with same age kids as ours spend $200 a week but i think they drink wine every night.

I TIVO Melissa D"arabian $10.00 meals every week and she has some good ideas.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM

15,240 posts, read 15,242,866 times
That would be simple for me:

breakfast - 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, cost, about 75 cents.

lunch - 2 cans of sardines, olives and veggies, cost, about $2.25.

dinner - crockpot soup, 3 chicken thighs (or any other on-sale/marked- down meat)and veggies, cost, about $2.00.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM

22,744 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This was a side topic from another thread. I have a friend who is a single woman that claims she lives on a $150/month food budget. Some people thought this was doable, but I couldn't see how.

So... this seems like a good topic for a thread. How do you guys do it? I'm open to the idea but I can't quite grasp how you eat three nutritious meals a day on $5 a day. Please give as many specifics as possible, and remember I'm talking about living on a budget like that all year long (this person is not fasting or trying to lose weight). A grocery list would be great.
its so easy and it is what people on food stamps should be doing. im sure others have said; grains, beans, potatoes, etc. cheap and full of calories. id make whole grain rolled oats a staple since it is cheap (87 cents a pound at Costco or aldi) and nutritious. you could live on oats and be super healthy.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 AM

2,026 posts, read 5,006,849 times
As long as you buy groceries on sale, stock up when stables like cereals, pasta, can or jar tomatoes are cheap. Freeze meats and learn to make meals from scratch. 150 is completely sufficient for 1 person without being cheap. You don't even have to live on rice and beans 6 days out of 7. Slabs of meat (steaks) at each meal does get expensive, so cut back portion size and cook it with veges (like in a saute). If you have a substantial dinner, then eat lighter (as in sandwiches or soups) for lunch. Another area to cut is prepared / packaged / frozen entrees. For the amount of food in those boxes, you pay a lot to have the convinence. Learn to eat and use veges as they are healthy. Cut down on butter and cream as they aren't great for you. Eat fruits and whatever is in season.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 AM

6,718 posts, read 11,184,922 times
Eat lots of veggies.. use butter and olive oil to ensure you're getting enough calories.

Good thing about a tight food budget is that it forces you to eliminate processed food and overpriced food at restaurants. Of course, I'd only do this if I lost my job and had all the time in the world to cook.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,207,918 times
i budget around 200 a month for just myself, i probably spend more like 250, but i eat good and food is a large part of my life, i love to cook quality products. usually when you start to worry about money or budget, your quality drops. sure i could buy the inferior items and still make the same food, but at a lower quality, taste, and ultimate satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living