U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,314 posts, read 11,499,740 times

Advertisements

Anyone have great stories on how they saved $$ during college whether it was shopping for apparel, buying groceries, eating out cheap, etc.? I have one, but it is more of a confession...kinda like fraud.

Remember those cards that Subway used to have for patrons? Where everytime you buy a sandwich , they would give u a little stamp. Once you accumulated 10, you were able to get a free one? I used to scan those stamps into my computer and print them with a color printer and change the numbers on those stamps in Photoshop and print them out. I would get a pair of scissors to cut the stamps like it was perforated to make it more realistic like originals. There were several Subways around where i lived which allowed me to rotate stores for my 'free' sandwich. I did this for several years. God knows how much i saved! It sure beat eating Ramen noodles mixed with raw eggs.

I have other stories, but this is the one that really helped alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,220,872 times
99-cents Whoppers were my mainstay back in the days ...

15 years later, I'm still paying the price for that ...

Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,502,704 times
I used to go and stuff my pockets full off things like bagels at the dorm cafeteria, or come into socials at the university and graze instead of lunch.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,314 posts, read 11,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I used to go and stuff my pockets full off things like bagels at the dorm cafeteria, or come into socials at the university and graze instead of lunch.
LOL! I used to do that too. Put food from my dorm cafeteria(when i stayed in a dorm) in my backpack, so that i could have late snacks.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,779,462 times
I know a lot of college kids eat a lot of ramen noodles...

Some try to qualify for food stamps...

Shop at second-hand places, swap clothing with friends, carpool, try to see if there are any student discounts at different places....

Taco Bell, McDonald's, Wendy's...are some places I hear a lot from college students. They tend to be open late and the food is cheap.
The key is to also exercise off this food and make sure your arteries don't end up clogged.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,848,015 times
Volunteering to participate in psych experiments got me $50 a pop. Collecting cans that had a deposit on them was always pathetic but easy and worthwhile. We all cut each other's hair.

Another (awful) tip-- a friend of mine used to donate blood and then go for a run before the Friday happy hour. One beer would fix him for the rest of the night.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 PM

948 posts, read 2,272,576 times
Duing one of my 3 summer jobs I spotted a pickup heading up the street with a dog that I had seen on a poster. I was on foot, and traffic was heavy. I chased the truck over many blocks. Just when I thought I was going to lose it, there was a croud of people watching a guy doing burnouts on his motorcycle (sturgis bike rally if you've heard of it) it slowed him down just a half block from the cop shop - I got the lp # and continued to the cop shop - They caught him and I got the $500 reward. God knows I needed it. Can't imagine myself chasing a vehicle on foot again, based on a photo I had only glanced at. Not exactly a frugal story, but a heck of a way to make some needed cash for noodles and rent.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,502,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
LOL! I used to do that too. Put food from my dorm cafeteria(when i stayed in a dorm) in my backpack, so that i could have late snacks.
Oh geez yeah, I think I got 14 bagels in my coat with covered things of cream cheese

Man, I ate so many eggs and ramen when I was a sophomore in college...it took me a few years to eat eggs, and I still can't eat ramen.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 AM

1,133 posts, read 3,186,428 times
I just graduated with a BS degree. I went to a cheap state college and I applied for every scholarship I qualified for and applied for financial aid every semester. I got enough money in Pell grants and scholarships every semester to pay tuition (~$2k/semester), plus usually $1-2k left over. One semester I got $4200, after tuition! I estimate I got $30-40K in *free* money for all the time I spent in college. I graduated debt-free. *happy dance!*

I did a lot of the other usual frugal stuff to live cheap. My college offers free dial-up internet to students. It's slow, but the price is right.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,545,585 times
My husband and I got married right before college. We live off campus, which is cheaper for us. We cook at home, and eat fresh foods instead of junk. Date nights are very often, but dinner never costs more than $7 a person when we go out...we use coupons, or go to cozy local dives. We don't have television, and rent movies when they're 99c or less. We go out to the dog park for entertainment, or have dinner parties or cookouts. Neither or us drinks alcohol or soda..so we don't have that dent in the budget.

We both shop at thrift stores for just about anything we need. Our biggest expenses are really pet care and health care.

EDIT: forgot to say, because we're both independent, our tuition is more than paid. Gotta love free money for education!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living