U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times

Advertisements

I just found this list and thought it had some good tips. Just find your "thing" and it will give you 20 uses for it.

Remedy Page - a natural solution to your every problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 AM

16,836 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Are you serious???

When I clicked on "two-liter bottles", it took me to the page for uses of old film canisters. Like anyone has tons of those hanging around anymore.

When I clicked on "ash", here are a couple of "uses" that cropped up.

# Mix with sugar and eat for sweetness.

# Rub into top of head to prevent "water getting in" after going out in the rain or washing hair.

Y-e-a-h... R-i-g-h-t...

Now if it had said something useful, like pee in it to make potassium nitrate, or leach lye out of it to make soap, then I might think the site was worth something.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,486,058 times
This has some really odd things intermixed with just a small smattering of common knowledge, I would hope no one takes something away form it.

Baking soda: Put into fridge to soak up odors (Yeah knew that one) or make into a creamy deodorant (Um, you want creamy pits?)

Coffee: Drink black, it's better for you [Next Line] Drink it with milk and sugar for a rich cup (wait didn't you just say the other way?)...Use it as a topping for ice cream (hopefully you cool it down first)...use it to make your floors brown (wouldn't it stink?)

Fabric Strips: Use as stuffing (even scraps cost more then stuffing)....use like paper mache (fabric def costs more then newspaper)....make into envelopes (fabric costs a good bit more then those)

Henna - Add a little liquid to your shampoo to make conditioning shampoo (not henna, and wouldn't that just water it down?)....add with eucalyptus oils and eggs/yogurt to make shampoo (wait, I thought it was a dye...and euw)

Oil - Use to cook (No *** Sherlock)...use to oil doors (if you use food oils that rot to do this, your house will stink like hell)....rub on yourself to give you that healthy glow (I wouldn't want to touch you, and I hope you like zits)

Old 05-23-2009, 10:31 PM

The scarey thought is that someone thought enough of these "ideas" to spend the time posting them on the internet.

Thanks for the additional info that I tried to avoid. Now I'm going to have to try to get to sleep tonight with visions of someone with ashes and yogurt in their hair and covered in cooking oil. Maybe this person has a secret desire to be the pig at a barbecue?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 AM

Sorry all. I just found the link on another frugal forum. I thought it might be useful to some people. If not that is also fine. I'm so sorry we can't all be perfect like you and only post 100% accurate things "all the time". There really is no need for bashing. I feel bad for you that you feel the need to do that. I on the other hand look for the good and hate the drama. Move on all.

Thank you for the bashing and I hope you all have a wonderful day. Isn't great to have "freedom of choice". Now if we could only add to that a little common decency.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
There is a difference between living a "frugal life" and living an "eccentric life".

Saving all sorts of junk because it might be useful for "something" or just because it's "too good to throw out" is an example of the latter.

Just because most everything can be recycled doesn't mean that it should be.

A big part of living a frugal life is living a well organized life, and the best way to accomplish this is to throw out the trash and only keep what is needed for efficient day to day living.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sorry all. I just found the link on another frugal forum. I thought it might be useful to some people. If not that is also fine. I'm so sorry we can't all be perfect like you and only post 100% accurate things "all the time". There really is no need for bashing. I feel bad for you that you feel the need to do that. I on the other hand look for the good and hate the drama. Move on all.

Thank you for the bashing and I hope you all have a wonderful day. Isn't great to have "freedom of choice". Now if we could only add to that a little common decency.
Younglisa7, I've run up against variations of reactions like yours multiple times on the internet, in responses to posts of mine and in response to the posts of others. I strongly urge you to rethink your response, since you were likely perceiving the responses as a personal attack on you, which they were not.

I don't always put a smiley emoticon when I am playing. Contrary to popular belief it is NOT required to indicate a joke or satire. Writers got along for thousands of years without them. I haven't run across a single one in the Bible.

You have been posting long enough that I expected you had developed the thicker skin that most long term posters develop. I'm a bit surprised, and I hope you learn that disconnect between presenting an idea that is not up to snuff, and having it shot down, and a personal attack.

The link you put up is so outrageous that it is funny. If you didn't vet it thoroughly enough that you didn't realize it, then maybe that is a lesson learned. Remember those similar reactions that I mentioned earlier? Some of those were for pointing out publicly to people that Bill Gates did NOT in fact want to send me $100 for forwarding an email, or that I couldn't really earn thousands by sending $5 to five anonymous strangers, and other obvious email and usenet chain letters. We all have different levels of tolerance for silliness and outright bad advice.

Am I or anyone else that disagrees with your link perfect? Of course not. I've had a lot of my posts shot at, sometimes with a lot of validity. In more than a few cases I've actually reviewed and come to agree with my critics. I thought, and still think, that a lot of the "suggestions" in the link you provided are not only outrageous but possibly were even originally intended as jokes. Life is like that. I've been snookered many times myself by someone playing what they thought was a funny game. They even have tv programs with that as the macguffin.

In any event, you are doing so well in so many ways that you shouldn't sweat the small things. (If you do, you might just need some more sugar and ashes... )

Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM

HC

Fair enough. Some of the things I checked were nail polish and baking soda. Most lists like this I take with a grain of salt. Kind of like an old wives tale. If it seems like a good idea then I might try it if not then I don't.

Maybe I should have added "use at your own discretion".

Have a good day.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living