U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 AM

8,252 posts, read 9,105,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My supermarket has 3-pound bags of "soup veggies", which cost $4.99. In the bag, there is potato, cabbage, carrots, celery. None, bought separately, cost over 65c a pound, but putting a little in each bag, they have literally tripled the price of the veggies. And people buy them.

Don't even get me started on Lunchables.
Being a cashier I see this stuff every day. I wonder why people don't just buy the stuff individually, and cheaper, and make their own.

I hear you on the Lunchables too. I also see people buying bags of cut up apples, etc. and I KNOW it would be cheaper to slice their own. I guess they are just lazy. Can't be the 'time' angle. I mean, how long does it take to slice an apple??? lol

One thing I've noticed though is that buying a package of three bell peppers...different colors...or even frozen ones, is cheaper than buying them individually right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I sometimes buy the more expensive frozen vegetables but I live alone and I could not eat 10 pounds of potatoes before they would start to rot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Root vegetables last a long time in cold storage. We still have some picked last fall!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I live in Texas!
You can freeze fresh vegetables yourself. How do you think they got into the freezer section at the store?

Even potatoes can be frozen: How To Freeze Potatoes. | eHow.com

Old 01-21-2012, 08:57 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,932,091 times
Agreed that the smaller and smaller corporate packaging people are likely going to start waking up to the benefits of making it yourself - so much more for the money. Also, you can dictate what goes into the food - not a bunch of chemicals and preservatives!

Would like to hear from people in whose families both spouses work outside your house full time and have kids. (you know the deal: lessons, homework, etc, etc.) Then making it yourself from scratch becomes a real challenge. additionally: we have NO auxiliary freezer, house too small... I try to stock up as much as I can.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 AM

304 posts, read 510,854 times
I sometimes get home from work at 6:30. There is no way I am going to go cook a chicken when I walk in the door. Cooking from scratch may be fine for soccer moms or people who work from home or work-part time, but for most working people, we don't have the time.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I sometimes get home from work at 6:30. There is no way I am going to go cook a chicken when I walk in the door. Cooking from scratch may be fine for soccer moms or people who work from home or work-part time, but for most working people, we don't have the time.
There's a big difference between not having the time and not taking the time to figure out how to work around it.
You have the time.....it may just not be the day you get home at 6:30.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,432,647 times
I am so glad that at my local market you can buy indvidual fresh veggies. You can buy one potato if that's all you need. No need to store 10 lbs and watch them sprout. As far as time is concerned. You can broil a couple chicken breasts (fresh) or what ever cut you like in less than a half hour, while making a salad, and steaming a couple of cut up carrots. If you can't have a nice dinner (not from packages) on the table in 30 minutes you need to get some advice.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 AM

443 posts, read 743,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
What about using a slow cooker? Chuck the ingredients into the slow cooker, and have a hot meal ready when you get home?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
The first rule of frugal living, overriding all other considerations, is nutritional freedom. To live frugally, you MUST have control over what you eat and how it is prepared. A person who is unable or unwilling to prepare his own food will waste a minimum of $1,000 a year if forced to eat "convenience" food, and probably $2,000 to eat commercially-served ready-to-eat food.

A delivered pizza every night will cost $5,000 a year. A potato, 4 ounces of chicken livers, and some cooked onions or carrots every night will cost about 1/20 of that a year, less than a dollar a day, and significantly improve your health.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,932,091 times
The problem I am having with my crock pot, is that I am gone for 10 full hours. There is not a way to start the crockpot up AFTER I have left, 10 hours seems to be too long to cook something. Everything I cook in it (except for weekends when I can monitor and have the stuff in there for only 6-8) tastes burnt.

I take the opportunity to make a batch of several things on the weekend. And have leftovers all week. Because with lessons, sometimes we are only home for an hour or so before we have to take off again.

1brokegirl, that is probably your best bet. Make a roasted chicken on Sunday, and then for a couple of days at least, you can make something with the meat. Or freeze the meat for later. I am a big fan of making a bunch of chili or spaghetti with meat sauce in the crockpot and freezing that for later dinners... just boil up the pasta when you get home.

I am trying to not have those pre-made family dinners so much because the sodium level in those is quite high too. I agree, it just requires more planning... but sometimes when I get home, we have grilled cheese and canned soup for dinner no time for anything else.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM

54 posts, read 57,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
The problem I am having with my crock pot, is that I am gone for 10 full hours. There is not a way to start the crockpot up AFTER I have left, 10 hours seems to be too long to cook something.
Are you sure? My rice cooker has a start timer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living