U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:21 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,048,871 times

Advertisements

My wife has sold Avon cosmetics & products for over 32 years making a nice side income. The
key point with Avon is that YOU own YOUR business and Avon supplies the product to you as a
reseller. Not many folk's understand that key point.

Want to give the customer a discount for picking up in place of you delivering? Yep, you can do
that out of your percentage. Want to work with groups to sell your products? Yep, you can do
that too. All that is required is that you stay active with a least a small/tiny order to pay to
keep your name on the books. How much earn is really up to you and how hard you are willing
to work.

Disclaimer: I'm a cranky old goat and insisit that my wife show a profit every year or the Avon
stops. For 32 years she's had a profit each year (NO, she's not her own best customer! She
SELL'S Avon) so she logged another profitable year. And oh the income tax writeoffs you can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM

199 posts, read 570,561 times
How does mystery shopping work?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 AM

943 posts, read 2,711,833 times
If you live in a large metro area go to craigslist and look under the category of volunteers, etc, part time and event and you will see a variety of short term jobs and market research focus group opportunities. I made a little over a $1000 a year for the last five years through these opportunities on craigslist. www.craigslist.com (Even though one of the categories is called volunteer, there still are options where they pay you for participation)

Contact every company in the area that does market research focus groups and sign up, it is easy money!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 PM

326 posts, read 1,148,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I do mystery shopping, but I don't really end up making money because I only do the restaurant shops. I do get two free meals a week out of the deal though!
Intersting how did you get into this? Everything I see looks like a scam...

Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM

I did consumer testing...
I got paid $40 once to taste cheese...

Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM

12,996 posts, read 24,091,519 times
I have a second job working event security which is flexible, and sometimes sell on eBay.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,346,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
Intersting how did you get into this? Everything I see looks like a scam...
My dad was doing it for a company in Michigan and I just signed on with them...and eventually found some other legitimate companies. Now I'm on a few different mailing lists for different restaurants and hotels I can forward you a list... or you can look back in my prior posts where I've listed them here

Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
My wife has sold Avon cosmetics & products for over 32 years making a nice side income. The
key point with Avon is that YOU own YOUR business and Avon supplies the product to you as a
reseller. Not many folk's understand that key point.

Want to give the customer a discount for picking up in place of you delivering? Yep, you can do
that out of your percentage. Want to work with groups to sell your products? Yep, you can do
that too. All that is required is that you stay active with a least a small/tiny order to pay to
keep your name on the books. How much earn is really up to you and how hard you are willing
to work.

Disclaimer: I'm a cranky old goat and insisit that my wife show a profit every year or the Avon
stops. For 32 years she's had a profit each year (NO, she's not her own best customer! She
SELL'S Avon) so she logged another profitable year. And oh the income tax writeoffs you can get!
My mom did this to and made decent side money of it... she was always invite to the Avon Dinners every year for the top sellers.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 PM

12,633 posts, read 14,657,433 times
My husband and a buddy of his have been scheduling side jobs, just whatever homeowners need to have done around their house. In the last month they've prepared posts to have artificial stone applied to them, roofed a garage and roofed a house. Husband has made about $800 in a month's time doing this. They don't seem to have any trouble finding people who are looking for help.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:39 PM

1,009 posts, read 3,552,519 times
Learning how to re-stretch carpets might have income potential . . Craigslist examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living