Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,631,196 times

Advertisements

I make a few bucks playing the 5-string banjo.

Oddly enough, bluegrass music is quite popular in the Washington DC area with lots of clubs featuring it. I'm not a regular in a band anymore....got too old for the hours involved....but I fill in occasionally on friends' gigs.

$150-$400 a night depending on the venue. I love to play so it's not even work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 PM

347 posts, read 977,195 times
When I lived in South Florida in addition to my full-time job I did a lot of focus groups, and I did one medical study that paid me $300.
Now I live in South Carolina, and go to school full-time. I'm a representative for Science Diet pet food on the weekends and make $60 for a 4 hour shift. I also work with a realtor one day a week making excel spreadsheets, creating flyers, placing phone calls, etc.
The part-time personal assistant thing has helped me make money when there's nothing else.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,935,722 times
I get items off Criagslist and then sell them for a profit. My 15 yo son does this too and loves it.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:58 PM

746 posts, read 3,492,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I did technology stuff for awhile, I went through college doing it and got several nice bonuses in education and experience to always be pretty knowledgeable (A+, MCSE coursework...but they lost funding on the tests and I went into finance). I did it for a bit off on the side, but stopped abut 2 years after I graduated. People just wanted cut rate technology repair...when I started to get calls from people who went to competitors because they cost a good bit less, had destroyed the equipment, then demanded I come at their rates to fix the mess the idiot made...I stopped even telling people I knew anything.
This reminds me of a great marketing strategy used by a local barber when a chain that offered $5 haircuts moved into his small town.

He put up a sign that read, simply: "We fix $5.00 haircuts."

Perhaps you could do the same. "We fix botched computer repairs."

Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,461,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
My dad was doing it for a company in Michigan and I just signed on with them...and eventually found some other legitimate companies. Now I'm on a few different mailing lists for different restaurants and hotels I can forward you a list... or you can look back in my prior posts where I've listed them here

I did that for a while, but the Sonic and James Coney Island (hot dog place here in Houston) mystery shops were catching up to my waistline.

Too much hassle (reports online) and too little pay to give up study time with an 8-5 job and 15 hours of school to deal with...

Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,934,216 times
What do you do to make extra money?
Hot pants and a red light bulb.

Just kidding...............
I work in sales, so if I see it is going a little slower, I work a couple of extra shifts per week to make up for any financial loss.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,443 times
Default Extra income from your hobbies

Earn money from your hobby You may have thought that the things you do for fun were just that - fun, but have you ever considered making a profit from your hobbies (http://www.frugal-living-now.com/make-extra-cash.html - broken link) ? You may be able to!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,970,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
I did consumer testing...
I got paid $40 once to taste cheese...
Was the cheese THAT awful?!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,147,243 times
I give out samples in grocery stores. Pays $17 an hour for a five hour shift. I've done it for over a year and the available jobs have picked up after a good six months of nothing. It's a national marketing company and you get hired, find events and report on events that you have worked online. They take out taxes, too, which makes it easy to report at tax time. I keep my mileage and that helps tax-wise, as well.

DM me if you'd like their website.

I'm going to google focus groups. I once made $100 for a real estate focus group. Fun, quick work.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM

304 posts, read 902,130 times
If you have secretarial skills, you could freelance as an association secretary -especially if you live in a low population state. There are numerous associations out there, just start thinking of professions and most likely they will have an association or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living