U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 AM

326 posts, read 1,146,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Was the cheese THAT awful?!
LOL... no actually I'm a cheese person and the cheese was good. It was cheese you can find at the supermarket. Even though you weren't suppose to know what brand it was you could sometimes tell.

I did this while living in NJ... they did all kinds of testing not just cheese. They were right around the corner from my job and the testing always only took an hour so I would go during my lunch break to make some extra cash.

I have to find some consumer testing now that I live in FL... if anybody knows of any please let me know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 AM

47 posts, read 93,611 times
recently on msn.com, they had lists of legit national companies that do the following --

1. work at home opportunities
2. mystery shopping
3. surveys

i don 't know if you can still find it on the site, but anyone can dm me and i'll pass the info along. so far i've only checked out some of the work at home ops and they seem legit. i also cross-referenced some of the sites with a list i found on clarkhoward.com -- he's like a male suze orman ---

Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
We own a janitorial company and hubby is a veteran dumpster diver. He sells on Ebay, we take the boxes of tossed out books to Half Price books every couple of months for cash, and we sell soda cans. At a 1.80 a pound we usually get around 120 bucks a month from this -- and we don't take from recycling containers -- these are tossed in the trash cans. People refuse to recycle....

All in all I'd say we get about 200-400 bucks a month with minimal work out of it.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:58 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,337,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
We own a janitorial company and hubby is a veteran dumpster diver. He sells on Ebay, we take the boxes of tossed out books to Half Price books every couple of months for cash, and we sell soda cans. At a 1.80 a pound we usually get around 120 bucks a month from this -- and we don't take from recycling containers -- these are tossed in the trash cans. People refuse to recycle....

All in all I'd say we get about 200-400 bucks a month with minimal work out of it.
I was mortified when my son first told me that he was dumpster diving. Now I say, "Here, let me give you a boost up!"

He found about 500 universal remotes in a commercial dumpster- sold a bunch and left the rest in a WalMart parking lot with a "free remotes" sign.

My only fear is that we may find a dead body or something in one.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 AM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I was mortified when my son first told me that he was dumpster diving. Now I say, "Here, let me give you a boost up!"

He found about 500 universal remotes in a commercial dumpster- sold a bunch and left the rest in a WalMart parking lot with a "free remotes" sign.

My only fear is that we may find a dead body or something in one.
Only on TV -- we've been doing this for 12 years and that's a lot of dumpsters. Never found a dead body.

That's sort of my fear, too. When we first started the business I had a guy who cleaned in one of the rougher neighborhoods in San Francisco tell me about calling the elevator in one of his buildings to his floor to clean it, had the doors open to a guy who had died from being stabbed. A lot.

He said the first person he called was the cops. The second was his boss -- who he told to call Crime Scene clean up -- HE wasn't cleaning that...

Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM

79 posts, read 55,666 times
Its not actually possible to make much at all with legitimate moneymaking schemes as nearly everyone is doing it. The best moneymaking ways are angled from the legitimate original ideas - now these schemes are nearly full of total profit as its so rare to find anyone doing them. People don't think of them because they don't have time to sit down and ponder them out to a successful conclusion.

Remember this: By being a legitimate citizen, the only one your hurting is yourself. No one is going to thank you for being a goody two shoes, not even the Government of your respective countries.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,068,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I get items off Criagslist and then sell them for a profit. My 15 yo son does this too and loves it.
If you don't mind my asking, what types of items?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:32 PM

29 posts, read 74,247 times
I strip.

I kid, I kid!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post

...what are some of the things people are doing to make extra money to help make ends meet?...

All the money I ever made helped to make ends meet.

Although I never did get those ends to meet, I always seemed to have enough money.

But none of it was ever "extra".

Old 07-16-2009, 01:15 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,422,302 times
Online test preparation business. Same thing as the other companies except 100% automated and like 90% cheaper than the rest! I provide the BEST value for your dollar.

Standard test preparation:
textbook - 100-150
Test prep book - 40
flash cards - 10 to 20

My service:
Textbook
Test prep (lectures, exam grading, quizes, how to write an essay etc.)
Simulations modeled after the exam that tell you where your weaknesses and strengths are
Flash cards

only 10$.

Did I mention the website is 100% automated? Just answer e-mails, update content (when I feel like it), and collect my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living