U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:40 PM

625 posts, read 1,607,637 times

Advertisements

A friend does live over the phone (and some computer) interpreting full time, but I'd think that would be something that could be done part time, too. She just calls her boss & says she's ready to work & they send the phone calls as they come in....most are with insurance companies or credit related, but she'd also gotten calls to interpret for doctors, hospitals, prision calls, law enforcement, liveetc.

When she's had enough for the day...enough hours or after a particularly emotional call, she just calls back & says she's done or needs a couple hour break or whatever.

Last edited by 3-Oaks; 07-23-2009 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM

415 posts, read 2,107,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristajensen View Post
I'm a Director with Scentsy Wickless Candles! I bring home between 900 - 1300 a month extra. It really helps pay down old bills and stay on track! I love it! if you want info.. let me know, I'm more than happy to help

I would,like to know more about your candle business, email me here or post info as to how to get in touch

Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 AM

415 posts, read 2,107,079 times
Default Is there anythign real out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Besides working your regular job, what are some of the things people are doing to make extra money to help make ends meet? I have been going to a local flea market on Sunday mornings and looking for cheap antiques for resale on ebay. It's not as easy as it sounds, as you really have to know your stuff to make it pay off. I stick to the antique categories that I know well (antique glass and advertizing items) and I realize a fairly respectable profit most weeks. Also, my wife is an amatuer photographer and has been visiting local dog parks and animal shelter and taking pics, and has been selling some to various animal and pet magazines.

Neither of these ideas are going to make us rich, but it helps us make ends meet and helps pad our savings account, which is VERY important to us these days. I'm just looking to see what others are doing, and I'd love to hear your stories and idea. Thanks in advance!!
I have been wanting to find something I could do on the computer, is there anything out there that is real and one can work from home or from any computer to make extra money each month.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:25 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,362,558 times
I run a lawn mowing / lawn care business. Bring in about $5000 / yr. About 5-6 accounts so about 5-8 hours per week. The mowing season goes from May - October. Pays the mortgage in the summer months. Plus it's a nice tax shelter.

Invested about $5k in a truck, a commercial mower, weed eater, blower, hedge trimmers, & chain saw. In the spring and fall I do cleanups which are lucrative. Also do hedge and tree trimming. THe key is finding accounts close to your home and learning how to bid/sell jobs.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,748,258 times
I do income tax returns for some of the people I work with.

It's surprising how many educated people (I work at a college, ferchrissake!) are scared of the 1040EZ.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM

127 posts, read 246,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Besides working your regular job, what are some of the things people are doing to make extra money to help make ends meet? I have been going to a local flea market on Sunday mornings and looking for cheap antiques for resale on ebay. It's not as easy as it sounds, as you really have to know your stuff to make it pay off. I stick to the antique categories that I know well (antique glass and advertizing items) and I realize a fairly respectable profit most weeks. Also, my wife is an amatuer photographer and has been visiting local dog parks and animal shelter and taking pics, and has been selling some to various animal and pet magazines.

Neither of these ideas are going to make us rich, but it helps us make ends meet and helps pad our savings account, which is VERY important to us these days. I'm just looking to see what others are doing, and I'd love to hear your stories and idea. Thanks in advance!!
rob banks

Old 07-24-2009, 12:37 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,586,660 times
Instead of wasting my time making "extra money" I would rather organize my life around living well on what I already have.

I have always been able to live a good life regardless of whether I had resources of more than $100,000 a year or less than $100 a month.

Admittedly, those $100 a month times were pretty intense, but they were also some of the best times in my life.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,732,281 times
Write web content articles through Demand Media. I can do as little or as much as I want and average $15 an hour without even getting dressed. (OK now that just looks...funny...) Hardly great money, but it's come in handy.

Put the word out that I'll do some petsitting gigs if it works with my schedule...now I have a few clients who use me a few times a year.

I can fit these two things in with my regular business, works for me.

Also I like Fat Freddy's thought of figuring out ways to cut back at the same time. That doesn't need to mean diminishing quality of life.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:01 PM

481 posts, read 605,322 times
I sold all the books and CD's in my library that I was tired of on Amazon.com and have made a few hundred dollars.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,795,287 times
Not so much up here in MI, but in FL I would clean windows. I usually charged about $60 to $150 just for the outsides, screens $15 to $25 extra. It's hot work and people hate cleaning windows. A lot of times I'd be doing a house and 2 or 3 of the neighbors would come over and ask me how much I charged and they would have it done too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living