U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times

Advertisements

Nicole....thanks for sharing your savings story!

I'm a strong supporter of coupon shopping!!. When all the kids were still living at home, I can't begin to tell you how much money I saved by planning my menus around the coupons available. The stores rarely do the double/triple coupons any more....but that used to be some of my happiest weeks because it left us with extra money to go to the movies with or whatever.

Hope you have a great coupon saving summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 4,976 times
I said it because of your previous post. "If I could afford organic foods I would" and you said it like a smart ass! Well, if you didn't have a blackberry maybe you could AFFORD to buy food for your poor family.....DUH!!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
well, I guess that if I could afford to be more snobby about what I buy, I'd go for that. But with 1 small child, a tween, a 6'1" 14 year old, a 6' 14 year old (depending on if my step son is with us), 2 adults and a budget of $400/month for food, toiletries, laundry soap, etc., then I'll take what I can get that's relatively good for them, fills them up and make sure I still come out ahead.

Here is your smart ass reply....and yes, I know how much the plans are

Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Wow, you've inspired me. When I discipline myself to use coupons and plan ahead I do save money, but not like you have. I am going to check out coupons.com.

One of the things I do regularly is purchase lots of buy one, get one items that we use regularly. But I've had to make one shelf off limits to my kids, BC they would just eat twice as much when we had multiple boxes of cereal or other BOGO purchases that should have lasted a month or two.

I only use coupons on items we normally purchase and when there is something new that I want to try. Unfortunately, too often I clip and don't think about using them until they have expired. Thanks to your post, I will get the coupon section from my mom and report back on my savings!

As to the naysayers, maybe there should be a Judge Me, Judge My Lifestyle forum so that they will feel more at home.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,899,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieh1026 View Post
Did anyone else notice "My camera isn't working so I had to use my blackberry." They aren't cheap....and neither are the plans you must have with a blackberry.
Hey, no offense, but if you're living frugally, the first things you get rid of are Easy Mac, glade plug ins and Chinet anything. The best way to save money is to avoid buying prepackaged 'convenience food'. This is why I don't use coupons...there aren't many coupons for spinach, bananas, brown rice, milk, eggs....

Old 06-21-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Hey, no offense, but if you're living frugally, the first things you get rid of are Easy Mac, glade plug ins and Chinet anything. The best way to save money is to avoid buying prepackaged 'convenience food'. This is why I don't use coupons...there aren't many coupons for spinach, bananas, brown rice, milk, eggs....

This is kind of what I was trying to say. I hate when people complain they have no money for food or necessities, yet they have certain luxuries. If I could not afford good food for my family, the first things to go would be luxuries. :/ That is all I was saying....and I am done now!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,601,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieh1026 View Post
I said it because of your previous post. "If I could afford organic foods I would" and you said it like a smart ass! Well, if you didn't have a blackberry maybe you could AFFORD to buy food for your poor family.....DUH!!!!
1st - I don't do organic. I don't think it's worth it to spend tons of $$ for food that I don't believe is any more helpful than what I buy, and frankly, I don't care if you agree w/ that opinion or not.
2nd - unless you're buying my food or paying my bills, you REALLY don't need to worry about what my other expenses are. Although FYI (since you're sooo interested), we pay less than $100 for our family's cell phone bills.
3rd - did it ever occur to you that maybe by saving in one area, I can splurge in another?
4th - NO WHERE did I say I can't afford food and necessities for my "poor" family. I said I can't afford organic. And I can't. If I could, I still wouldn't buy it.
<insert passive aggressive smiley here>
5th - I'm so honored that you signed up simply to be critical of my posts. Everyone should be so lucky.

THAT was a smart @ss reply.

Last edited by NicoleJ; 06-21-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
One of the things I do regularly is purchase lots of buy one, get one items that we use regularly. But I've had to make one shelf off limits to my kids, BC they would just eat twice as much when we had multiple boxes of cereal or other BOGO purchases that should have lasted a month or two.

As to the naysayers, maybe there should be a Judge Me, Judge My Lifestyle forum so that they will feel more at home.
HIF, my kids do that too! Esp. w/ the things that are good for quick lunches or snacks, like the mac & cheese. Please do report back on your savings. A lot of us will be thrilled for you!

I'm really shocked at the negative posts. It's like the money is coming out of their pocket or something. sheesh.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:43 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times
Many times you can to to any particular products website, get on their mailing list, and they will email you coupons on a monthly basis or have shopper reward programs.

Example: P&G eSAVER (Proctor & Gamble)

I don't go out of my way to buy organic anything. It's just another over priced fad....like name brand bottled water. Plain old fresh food and clean water will work.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Glory, I'd never heard of that website. THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or