Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
Due to my son's allergies a lot of stuff we need to get for him are 4 times as expensive as regular food ONE 8 oz can of his special soy formula costs 2.50 even when bought in bulk.

Is there any way we can conserve for my husband and I? we both don't have any allergies. How can I make the copoun system work. We are new to the US, where do I get the coupons?
try emailing or calling the companies and asking to be signed up on their coupon list. Let them know you love their product, etc etc. See if you're eligible for WIC, they can help you w/ the formula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Be careful with coupons. Often coupons lead you in to purchases of things you dont need, or wont use, simply because you have a coupon for them.

That is what all these stupid coupon mavens on all these shows, and with all these books and internet sites dont reveal.

Sure, they saved $102 on their cart of groceries, but how much junk in that cart would they even have bought if they DIDNT have a coupon for it?

Something to think about.
When I was a newlywed and had to grocery shop for our family, I clipped coupons religiously. I soon found out what you pointed out...I was buying stuff I really didn't need or foods my family didn't really eat or like.

I stopped clipping coupons and started reading grocery store circulars. When the store I shop at has a good sale on something, I stock up on it. I find that I am able to save money that way.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
If your child is under 5, contact your local WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Program. They help with vouchers for nutritious foods including milk, cheeses, peanut butter, cereals, juices for children and formulas for infants under 1 year (older if they still have a medical need for formula). This is a very good program and used to also include nutrition classes giving great hints on low cost and healthy recipes using some of the WIC products.

Link to site: WIC

Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,461 times
Make sure you get a dr note before you go to WIC stating that your child needs special formula due to his allergy. They will only provide regular formula with out that note.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
What is he allergic to exactly? If he's lactose intolerant you may want to try goats milk. My dad is severely lactose intolerant but can drink goats and sheeps milk perfectly fine.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:09 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,635 times
I would write the list of items you need to buy and stick to the list..go staright to where those items are and do not walk around each single isle.

Also make sure you are full when you shop, never shop in an empty stomach.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM

199 posts, read 652,916 times
My son is allergic to Dairy, Eggs, Garlic, Wheat and Nuts... Multiple allergies... Isn't WIC only for low income families? I fit the age demographic as well as location, my son obviously has dietary restrictions...but I doubt if we fall into the low income category... I have given up hope on lowering my son's grocery spending simply because his food needs to be so specific (whole foods is our home away from home) I am just hoping to reduce my husband's and my grocery bill instead...

Here is one tip I learned about :
I heard that grocery stores like Kroger (unfortuantely not where I live) has an option of pre-loading coupons into out store cards.. That way once we get everything on our list and we scan our store card..viola...all our coupons are automatically added to teh purchase...better for teh environment and easier for us!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,841 times
Quote:
Isn't WIC only for low income families? I fit the age demographic as well as location, my son obviously has dietary restrictions...but I doubt if we fall into the low income category...
Income Eligibility Guidelines 08-09

Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,311 times
Quote:
My son is allergic to Dairy, Eggs, Garlic, Wheat and Nuts... Multiple allergies... Isn't WIC only for low income families? I fit the age demographic as well as location, my son obviously has dietary restrictions...but I doubt if we fall into the low income category... I have given up hope on lowering my son's grocery spending simply because his food needs to be so specific (whole foods is our home away from home) I am just hoping to reduce my husband's and my grocery bill instead...

Here is one tip I learned about :
I heard that grocery stores like Kroger (unfortuantely not where I live) has an option of pre-loading coupons into out store cards.. That way once we get everything on our list and we scan our store card..viola...all our coupons are automatically added to teh purchase...better for teh environment and easier for us!!!
This one will take some time. I actually sat down and started menu planning for myself. I write down what I want to eat for each meal in a week and buy only the groceries I need for those meals. I shaved about 50 dollars off my weekly grocery bill because I realized that I was just simply throwing items into a cart.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 PM

225 posts, read 574,828 times
I'm single and recently was forced to take a 10 percent pay cut, so I've decided to become the coupon/sale chopping queen. I really live quite frugally anyway (my two luxuries are HBO and my DVR, which I won't yet give up since I've given up socializing, grr).

I bought a crock pot on sale and will now make and freeze tasty meals. Today's effort is pot roast, and I had a major score at the grocery store. Two chuck roasts at $2.99 a pound, one went in the freezer. Also got my favorite steam in bag veggies for 3/$5.00 - coffee, 2/$5.00, some pasta sauce I like for 2/$5.00. I got on the Kroger website last night to check out the sales. My Kroger card said I saved $24 today and I bought everything that I usually buy (or would buy, in the case of the roasts) except for some marjoram and paprika.

My new favorite website is smartsource.com, because not only can you print out coupons, but you can also get the local grocery store specials from several different stores listed right on your screen. This is AWESOME. I was able to compare prices right here in my living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living