U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,364,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
Due to my son's allergies a lot of stuff we need to get for him are 4 times as expensive as regular food ONE 8 oz can of his special soy formulae costs 2.50 even when bought in bulk.

Is there any way we can conserve for my husband and I? we both don't have any allergies. How can I make the copoun system work. We are new to the US, where do I get the coupons?
You might be more specific on where you shop (a lot of times it depends on where you buy things, may people go to warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's Club, BJ's (though there is a cost, they sell in bigger quantities)) and what you are buying. Is the formula special and not found in many stores? I thought soy formula is not too hard to find, or as I asked, is it a special kind?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM

199 posts, read 569,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
You might be more specific on where you shop (a lot of times it depends on where you buy things, may people go to warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's Club, BJ's (though there is a cost, they sell in bigger quantities)) and what you are buying. Is the formula special and not found in many stores? I thought soy formula is not too hard to find, or as I asked, is it a special kind?

The Soy formula is a special kind, I shouldn't have said formulae, it's a pediatric soy drink called Bright Beginings Soy drink in the 8 oz can. I buy directly from their website and so far have not come across any coupons. The problem with speciality foods for special conditions like allergies is that the cost is soo high....

I do shop at Costco, and there is a Giant nearby.. I go to Lotte's Korean market for fresh fruits and veggies at a Cheaper price.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:44 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
You need to shop at an aldi - if you have one by you. You can't buy everything there. I also frequent the ethnic food aisle in my regular grocery store. For the basics anyway - we have significantly lowered our food bills since we did this.
The coupon game - is a website I know people use. Me, I am too busy to be this organized to make it work. And I have absolutely NO place to store any "stock up" items which is how many figure their savings.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,364,557 times
Quote:
The Soy formula is a special kind, I shouldn't have said formulae, it's a pediatric soy drink called Bright Beginings Soy drink in the 8 oz can. I buy directly from their website and so far have not come across any coupons. The problem with speciality foods for special conditions like allergies is that the cost is soo high....
So you can't buy any other brand? In any case, you should shop on the internet, if you buy directly from them that's generally the most expensive. I don't know who these people are, but you can see, other places sell for less (assuming this is what you are talking about).

Bright Beginnings Pediatric Nutritional Soy Vanilla Drink - Case of 24- 8 oz each - Buy at Diapers.com - Fast Free Shipping

Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
I used to be the food service director at a major pediatric hospital a few years back and saw specialty formulas a lot more expensive that that (some as much as $100/day).

Seriously, I would consult with your pediatrician and a pediatric dietician to see of there are alternatives to the Bright Beginnings Soy formulas. Often, when a particular formula is recommended, it is because of familiarity of the doctor with that one formula. There are generally (but not always) other alternatives.

Also, I do not know why you would have to buy an 8 oz can or bottle other than convenience. In general, we would buy large sizes of formulas and measure out 8 oz. There are some real savings there.

One more thing. Most MD's have ***NO*** idea of the costs when they prescribe medications and other items. If you get to the pharmacy and find a particular prescription very expensive, have the pharmacist call the doctor and see if there are more reasonable alternatives. For five years, I took a drug that was $280/mo; when the doctor found out what I was paying, he replaced if with two $4/mo prescription which have produced similar results.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM

326 posts, read 1,146,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I used to be the food service director at a major pediatric hospital a few years back and saw specialty formulas a lot more expensive that that (some as much as $100/day).

Seriously, I would consult with your pediatrician and a pediatric dietician to see of there are alternatives to the Bright Beginnings Soy formulas. Often, when a particular formula is recommended, it is because of familiarity of the doctor with that one formula. There are generally (but not always) other alternatives.

Also, I do not know why you would have to buy an 8 oz can or bottle other than convenience. In general, we would buy large sizes of formulas and measure out 8 oz. There are some real savings there.

One more thing. Most MD's have ***NO*** idea of the costs when they prescribe medications and other items. If you get to the pharmacy and find a particular prescription very expensive, have the pharmacist call the doctor and see if there are more reasonable alternatives. For five years, I took a drug that was $280/mo; when the doctor found out what I was paying, he replaced if with two $4/mo prescription which have produced similar results.
Good post... very helpful and informative.

I tried repping you but had to spread it around.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
Good post... very helpful and informative.

I tried repping you but had to spread it around.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

We are all here to save a little money while still living a full quality of life. If i can save a few of you some money based on my experience, maybe you all will participate and give me some information on things that I do not know much about.

The more good posts and the fewer flames, the better the place is.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,174,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I agree, there may be another,generic option.

Also, as special formulas are generally produced by drug companies it is worth seeing if they have a special savings program. Many do.

You should also track the allergies -many kids grow out of them and there is evidence of excessive over-diagnosing of them so you should have your child re-tested as he grows. No sense in a strongly restrictive diet unless truly necessary.

One more thing -Whole Foods is ridiculously expensive. You can find gluten-free and other restrictive diet foods in the organic section of regular supermarkets. Plus, many regular label foods are fine. Case in point -a friends daughter is allergic to gluten. Special cereals etc are incredibly expensive. But both Rice and Corn Chex are already gluten free and half the price, a quarter of the price if she buys them on sale. She buys regular rice noodles dirt cheap at an asian supermarket. Speciality "gluten free" rice noodles in the supermarket cost a LOT more -just for the packaging and focus on parents scared for their kids. Truth is, it is all the same thing.

Last edited by AnthonyB; 06-24-2009 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM

199 posts, read 569,518 times
Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions, testing em out now

Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
You need to shop at an aldi - if you have one by you. You can't buy everything there. I also frequent the ethnic food aisle in my regular grocery store. For the basics anyway - we have significantly lowered our food bills since we did this.
The coupon game - is a website I know people use. Me, I am too busy to be this organized to make it work. And I have absolutely NO place to store any "stock up" items which is how many figure their savings.
I second this. I used to shop at Aldi in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living