U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,857,873 times

Advertisements

Ditto to the guy who said the Freecycle mods were ridiculous. I was a member in good standing on my local Freecycle board here in RI, and one of the moderators sent me an very rude, arrogant email over a post that was totally fine. I got so ticked that I quit the board and don't miss it at all. It's too bad though, because I met a lot of nice folks thru Freecycle. You always get at least one of those people small minded, self important jerks who think everything is all about them to ruin everything - jerks! Oh well, Craigslist works just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:24 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,232,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

If nobody takes it, the next day I haul it to the dump and pay to get rid of it.
If they don't take it on day 1, put a sign with a dollar amount on it, then someone will steal it.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,839,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, there usually is a requirement to write a narrative statement telling them why you want to join the group. I guess they think it proves you're sincere. It also weeds out the bots and spammers who won't go to the trouble. Your first few posts are moderated before being allowed on the board.

The one we had back in western Fairfax County was great, a cool bunch of people AND moderators. Here in COLO SPGS, the mods allowed unlimited "wanted" ads on freecycle to the point it became a joke, ten "wants" for every one "offer" posting. They may have tightened a bit since I left the group, but never again. Half of the people who ask for your item never show up nor give you the courtesy of an email saying they changed their minds or couldn't make it. What a pain.
Really a narrative? Not here.
Yeah I agree with the wanted ads. Over here in CA they ask for laptops, ipod, digital cameras, etc... Some people have an incredible sense of entitlement. I am about to leave the group. And over here all messages are moderated.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,872,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
All you had to do was go to the site and change your settings on the group. That would have solved the issue.
That's not what they told me...This was a few years ago...I had asked them if I could get just the listing in my area and they said I could not....So I opted out.

Last edited by Houston3; 06-07-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 02:53 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
I love freecycle. It's nice to get rid of things to places that the item is need/wanted. I've also got some good stuff there.
Here in Bangor ME, all I had to do was sign up. The require your first post to be an offer, and limit how often you can ask for or offer the same item (once a month). I can choose to have it sent to my email account (which I do-it doesn't take me that long to delete the things I'm not interested in, or can't help with) or can go to the site and look. All of ours goes through the mods, so they come out in bulk, and it might be the day after you submitted your post, but I don't think that's a big deal.
Every once in a while we see things like running cars, computers etc being asked for, but like I said, it doesn't take long to delete those.

I think I would ask why they turned you down, maybe they have a limited number of people they can service, or maybe they got you confused with someone else.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Really a narrative? Not here.
Yeah I agree with the wanted ads. Over here in CA they ask for laptops, ipod, digital cameras, etc... Some people have an incredible sense of entitlement. I am about to leave the group. And over here all messages are moderated.
Yes, a short narrative.... and yes, some people on the COLO SPGS list are asking for laptops and stuff, even old cars.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,147,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
I love freecycle. It's nice to get rid of things to places that the item is need/wanted. I've also got some good stuff there.
Here in Bangor ME, all I had to do was sign up. The require your first post to be an offer, and limit how often you can ask for or offer the same item (once a month). I can choose to have it sent to my email account (which I do-it doesn't take me that long to delete the things I'm not interested in, or can't help with) or can go to the site and look. All of ours goes through the mods, so they come out in bulk, and it might be the day after you submitted your post, but I don't think that's a big deal.
Every once in a while we see things like running cars, computers etc being asked for, but like I said, it doesn't take long to delete those.

I think I would ask why they turned you down, maybe they have a limited number of people they can service, or maybe they got you confused with someone else.
I wrote the mod of that group and asked why the deny, but they never responded. It was the Hancock County group.. maybe I should just join the Bangor one instead.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I wrote the mod of that group and asked why the deny, but they never responded. It was the Hancock County group.. maybe I should just join the Bangor one instead.
I just sent an email to Freecycle HQs, with a link to this thread. The freecycle concept is good, but some of their Mods execute the mission rather poorly, either too lax (anything goes, like a gazillion "wanted" ads) or too restrictive (rigid list-nazi control freaks).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-28-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 AM

4,007 posts, read 9,887,667 times
I just looked and for some reason I am no longer on the freecycle locally. It very well could be because I deleted the group.....I did a major purging of groups several months ago. But I could have been booted as well....no idea.

I have asked to rejoin.

Dawn

Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 8,703 times
I was turned down for Freecycle, so Craigslist became my backup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living