Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times

Advertisements

I just received an email that my request to join my local Freecycle group was denied! I didn't think it was such an exclusive group-lol.. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:40 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
No, I was allowed in, but the moderators on our COLO SPGS list are totally anal rule-based nazi's that I quit the list.

I tried to post a suggestion that people with a lot of stuff schedule a "freecycle meet up" which is like a yard sale only everything is free to freecyclers. The clown moderator deleted it and gave me a ration of crap about a rule against "come and get it" posts. When you have 100-200 items to let go of, before or after moving, listing eaches (or even groups) gets terribly time intensive, and then managing scores of people who don't know when they'll come by, etc, and it just doesn't work to follow the rules our COLO SPGS list pushes on people.

Now, I just bundle stuff up and take it to the drive thru at the local Goodwill facility and they can make a buck on it.

If I really want to get rid of something, I put it on Craigslist, which allows pix of items and is totally flexible, not rule-stupid.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Freecycle and Craigslist became such a hassle, and the Goodwill became so picky about what they would accept, that I just put my stuff in front of the house with a "FREE" sign on it.

If nobody takes it, the next day I haul it to the dump and pay to get rid of it.

No wonder you see so much stuff dumped in vacant lots and beside the road.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I can understand not doing the come and get it things, there are people who post "Come and Get it" for other peoples houses...and the greedy SOB's break in and start helping themselves because they were given "permission". I just have never had luck with it myself, people don't even bother coming around for stuff I'm letting go of (not really great stuff, but it works) so I just donate it to goodwill.

There are freecycle centers around certain cities, they are usually good for cheap materials and some have furniture.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I posted an ad on craigslist for landscaping pavers, within 10 mins I had someone on their way over (driving 40 mins none-the-less) for them. Hell I probably could've charged $10.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I just received an email that my request to join my local Freecycle group was denied! I didn't think it was such an exclusive group-lol.. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
You may be glad they turned you down... When I was a member I was getting as many as 200 e-mails a day from them...

Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 PM

17,386 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
We've participated in Freecycle and haven't had any problems. I can't imagine why they would deny a person membership. I wasn't aware that Freecycle even had an admissions process.

Maybe you live in an area of Maine that isn't close to where the other members live? Only thing I can think of.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You may be glad they turned you down... When I was a member I was getting as many as 200 e-mails a day from them...
All you had to do was go to the site and change your settings on the group. That would have solved the issue.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Quote:
K~, write them a note and ask them why you were denied. That's just weird. I belong to the one here on the Cape, but I also joined two in Florida after my dad passed. Because his house really straddled two cities, Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood, I joined both... and I'm out of state! lol Someone goofed I would say. (Assuming you tried for the C/W County one?)

Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We've participated in Freecycle and haven't had any problems. I can't imagine why they would deny a person membership. I wasn't aware that Freecycle even had an admissions process.
Yes, there usually is a requirement to write a narrative statement telling them why you want to join the group. I guess they think it proves you're sincere. It also weeds out the bots and spammers who won't go to the trouble. Your first few posts are moderated before being allowed on the board.

The one we had back in western Fairfax County was great, a cool bunch of people AND moderators. Here in COLO SPGS, the mods allowed unlimited "wanted" ads on freecycle to the point it became a joke, ten "wants" for every one "offer" posting. They may have tightened a bit since I left the group, but never again. Half of the people who ask for your item never show up nor give you the courtesy of an email saying they changed their minds or couldn't make it. What a pain.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living