U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,593,781 times

Advertisements

I don't buy toilet paper.
I wipe myself with the junk mail I get.
Then I send it back.

I don't really do that.
I have thought about it though.

But when I figured out what it would me cost me, I decided to use the money to hire someone to wipe my butt

With Charmin.

I don't do that either
But I'm still thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:40 PM

472 posts, read 628,213 times
Just a for what it's worth comment. Those who would never buy a used mattress might consider that when you overnigt in a hotel/motel you are sleeping on a very used mattress.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,121,948 times
I've always preferred thrift shops to spending outrageous prices for new. In the small town I lived in, there was always a surplus of underwear and shoes in the thrift shops - new stuff from last year's inventory, complete with the tags still on. I never had a problem buying things like that - in fact, just today I walked to the grocery store wearing a pair of Tevas I got for about 50 cents maybe 18-20 years ago. Ditto for several pairs of Birkenstocks. As for mattresses, it depends on whether or not I know the person getting rid of it. Some people are exceptional housekeepers, others aren't. And I now have a queen set we got free, along with the bedding, because some friends decided to move up to a king size.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,272,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
I know that a lot of people on here like to call themselves frugal but there are usually some purchases or items where you just draw the line. What purchase do you just say no, this is not an item that I will skimp on? Mine is toilet paper. I cannot and will not use cheap or rough toilet paper for my rear. I only use Charmin, the one with the teddy bears in the tv commercials. Unless someone here can recommend a cheaper equivalent I will continue to buy Charmin. LOL
Food

We spend a lot of money on very high quality, well grown, healthy food. It is, after all, what keep us alive.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-13-2009, 08:41 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,396,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I don't buy toilet paper.
I wipe myself with the junk mail I get.
Then I send it back.

I don't really do that.
I have thought about it though.

But when I figured out what it would me cost me, I decided to use the money to hire someone to wipe my butt
Silly boy...if you sent it back in the pre-paid envelopes that came with the junk mail, it wouldn't cost you a penny!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM

173 posts, read 437,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
Just a for what it's worth comment. Those who would never buy a used mattress might consider that when you overnigt in a hotel/motel you are sleeping on a very used mattress.
Good point, but I never thought of it that way. On the other hand, if I am going to buy a mattress, it still would have to be new and unused. Why spend money on a worn mattress? Isn't that, most likely, why the seller is getting rid of it? Who wants to buy a mattress with someone else's indention in it, I know I don't. Besides, hotel mattresses are, at least, still springy and comfortable.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 AM

3,714 posts, read 8,121,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
Good point, but I never thought of it that way. On the other hand, if I am going to buy a mattress, it still would have to be new and unused. Why spend money on a worn mattress? Isn't that, most likely, why the seller is getting rid of it? Who wants to buy a mattress with someone else's indention in it, I know I don't. Besides, hotel mattresses are, at least, still springy and comfortable.
Like I said earlier regarding mattresses, it depends. The queen set I referred to was less than a year old. The people who'd had it just decided they wanted a bigger one. Some of the sheet sets that came along with it hadn't even been used yet, they were still in the original packaging. And the price was definitely right - it was free.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,884,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Silly boy...if you sent it back in the pre-paid envelopes that came with the junk mail, it wouldn't cost you a penny!
I think he was talking about hiring an attorney after they put him in jail...LOL

Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,396,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I think he was talking about hiring an attorney after they put him in jail...LOL
Oooops!!! Duh on me!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 AM

326 posts, read 1,147,487 times
Another thing I can't skimp on is my teeth cleaning... toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouthmash. I usually have to get the most expensive brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or