U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times

Advertisements

I did not know that child support etc. was put on an EBT card.

I stand by my comment, however redirected at food stamps from government assistance ONLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I did not know that child support etc. was put on an EBT card.

I stand by my comment, however redirected at food stamps from government assistance ONLY.
It can be -- that's why it's called an electronic benefits card. It's all sorts of benefit monies. My mom qualified for SNAP -- it's a senior food stamps -- and she qualified for 16 bucks a month... and I've seen WIC on them.

But you can use these cards in several states at banks as ATM cards, and at Target, and CVS.... so it's not just food.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM

11,894 posts, read 14,359,727 times
Used to know someone who always cried poor mouth and complained about his employer locating in such an affluent suburb. Then he bought a luxury condo, with cash, two miles from the office.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 PM

183,840 posts, read 74,970,778 times
People who arrive at a gathering for a feed with only hot dogs and eat everyone's fried chicken and sides and take the hot dogs back home...every time.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,703,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
People who arrive at a gathering for a feed with only hot dogs and eat everyone's fried chicken and sides and take the hot dogs back home...every time.
Incredible!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM

31 posts, read 66,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I have a friend who lives with his girlfriend of three years, but refuses to get married because her credit is bad. He works six months out of the year, and invests..he lives off of interest. She works full time, pays the rent, and buys food. He buys the big stuff, so he says they're even.

But if she ever wants to go out to coffee or go out to a cheap lunch with friends, he bugs her about it! While he goes and buys tons of high-end crap for the house! Designer toilet seats, I kid you not... He whines and whines about being poor, but he's so lazy...plus has a higher net worth than anyone I know.

I'm frugal, but at least I know how to live and don't fret about my finances to others. Sheesh.
I used to date a guy like this. Besides the bad credit part, I was like the girlfriend. He was a trust fund baby and I worked two jobs while going to school (without loans, so if my grants and scholarships didn't cover it then I paid out of pocket). He would nitpick at everything. I was ridiculed for buying starbucks once a week, for buying name-brand tampons, etc. I understand it's important to save money but when you work 50+ hours a week, it's nice to indulge in things that make you comfortable. Sheesh.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I don't know how many times I have had parents say "I can't afford to buy more pencils and paper. You teachers just ask for too much." When we contact them because their child does not have supplies. Yet, when they pull up in the car line to pick up their child, they are driving a Mercedes, Lexus, or BMW.

What bugs me even more is when I see them in Wal-Mart or Target they have a buggy overflowing with groceries, name brand labels and expensive products. Then they pull out the food stamp card to pay for it. This just infuriates me!
Yes. Or they have money to go to concerts, and have loads of money when it comes to hitting the clubs every weekend. They may need taxpayers to provide them food stamps but they have plenty of money to get hair extensions, gaudy nails done up at the mall, and tattoos so they can go dancing and drinking in the clubs at least one night a week.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:40 PM

4,663 posts, read 5,907,077 times
This weekend and accquaintance was complaining to my husband that he couldn't find one and one half binders for his kids school supply list. We happened to be at Wal-Mart when this conversation was taking place and there were truck loads of them. When hubs told the man there were plenty at Wal-Mart, he wanted us to buy them and bring them by their house. I didn't go along with this as I know these people go into town multiple times daily and I suspected we would not be reimbursed if we bought them. Later, we were at a local thrift and they had a huge bin of binders for 29 cents each. Hubs called the guy and told him. Talked to him later, asked if he got the binders, his response was "no, they were picked over and the kids didn't want them."

Not a doubt in my mind, he just wanted us to buy them.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM

30,405 posts, read 9,086,867 times
People who simply complain yet do nothing to save money. Recently, a neighbor/friend moved out south "because it's cheaper." She never tried to save money on gas, food, etc., and I can remember her saying years ago that money "burns a hole in" her pocket. Now she's complaining about prices there.

Bad habits follow you anywhere.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM

183,840 posts, read 74,970,778 times
All to often they might be either a blood relative or in law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or