U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 01:24 PM

7,841 posts, read 6,919,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
^^ But that's probably why they do. They save their money instead of blowing it.
No, they make a lot of money, spend a lot of money, and then they cry poverty. You don't ever want to go out to eat with them -- they welch on their share if you do one check and they leave terrible tips for wait staff when you do separate checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM

720 posts, read 1,433,644 times
A relative spent Christmas Eve (dinner) with our family at my daughter's home. Not her first time, so she knew we exchanged gifts, and had received them in the past. All that was expected was a token gift, candy, an ornament, bottle of wine. Speaking of whine, she put on a "oh don't give me anything, we can't afford to reciprocate" act.
She and her DH make over $150,000 a year, take frequent trips (Paris,California, anyone?). Just plain selfish.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:16 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
My daughter has a friend whose father is the head of a publicly traded insurance company. His salary of $1,300,000 was published recently in the local paper. Yet his wife makes a big fuss about worrying about paying for their daughter's college tuition.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM

393 posts, read 1,060,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm curious what kind of a full time job she has at 76, and then a part-time one also. Maybe she has worked these jobs for many years.
She's a fed by day and works in retail at night and on the weekends.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
I dont talk about money or health to freinds and aquaintances.

Seems like a tacky subject....and I know I don't like hearing about it from others...thats their personal issues, not really a convo topic. Complaining about not having enough money is the same as bragging about having a lot or about a good deal you got somewhere...thats nice, but not intersted.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
Quote:
You don't ever want to go out to eat with them -- they welch on their share if you do one check and they leave terrible tips for wait staff when you do separate checks.
Quote:
All that was expected was a token gift, candy, an ornament, bottle of wine. Speaking of whine, she put on a "oh don't give me anything, we can't afford to reciprocate" act.
She and her DH make over $150,000 a year, take frequent trips (Paris,California, anyone?). Just plain selfish

they spend money on what they want to spend it on.

These are the exceptions where I am not frugal...gifts and taking people out to dinner. I have a pretty tight budget, but I set aside my income tax refunds for gifts, and dont make a big deal about "how expensive eating out is"...when Im eating out with someone (ill gripe about it here at C-D, though!)....

...because, gee whiz, dont be a cad about it...."eating out" with someone is breaking bread, conviviality, etc.

And gifts are to make other folks happy....be generous with friends and family, is what I say.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

Seems like a tacky subject....and I know I don't like hearing about it from others...thats their personal issues, not really a convo topic. Complaining about not having enough money is the same as bragging about having a lot or about a good deal you got somewhere...thats nice, but not intersted.
Well said. The topic is crass.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,391,629 times
I used to enjoy going out to eat with a friend.
She would always pick the restaurant; country clubs, yacht clubs.
However when the bill came, she would pay half (she drank chocolate
martinis like a fish and I drank water). I would pony up with at least a
20% tip, she would grab the bill and reduce the tip. Needless to say
I stopped going out with her.
I even tried to leave extra money by my plate, but she would grab it!!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

Has anyone noticed this on City Data too? I just saw someone who wants to relocate to a city and
said they "only" have 1.5 million to spend on a house and need several garage spaces.????????
Then last week was a woman who bragged about her 10 Coach bags but was asking what would be
a good (inexpensive) gift to some wealthy friends that were coming to town.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 08-09-2013 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: error

Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM

385 posts, read 1,257,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Has anyone noticed this on City Data too? I just saw someone who wants to relocate to a city and
said they "only" have 1.5 million to spend on a house and need several garage spaces.????????
Yes, I see this all the time. "I am single and just got offered a job for $60K. Will I be able to live on this?"

Then it turns out their definition of "live" means a new car every few years, barhopping several times a week, luxury travel every year, hundreds of dollars on new clothes every month...OK, if that's what "live" means to you, then maybe not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or