U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,407,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
We all know someone who cries poor mouth, yet annoys you with their hypocrisy? Who is that person? What annoys you?

Ill start it off.

A woman at my job, who constantly cries about being broke, and how her kids have to eat the same thing every day to anyone who will listen, yet at the same time eats out every single day at restaurants for lunch.
Omg do you know my friend too!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,297,369 times
I rented a dumpy apt on the side of ahouse, from a couple who were always claiming they were on the edge of bankruptcy. The husband turned out to be a control freak and never wanted to fix anything. They often claimed they were eating peanut butter sandwiches everyday and then I would see them in the store with a humongous cart of food. It was funny! I do not understand it. Also there would be cars at a whim and keep them in the driveway, yet their house was a wreck and you could tell they did not spend any money on it, but their garden was filled with all types of flowers etc and landscaped beautifully. When I needed a knob for the oven, believe it or not the wife gave me one from her stove rather than fix mine! They owned many houses in the area and land, but said they could barely make the mortgage payment etc. I wonder, because Iwas paying a lot of rent!!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 AM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
We all know someone who cries poor mouth, yet annoys you with their hypocrisy? Who is that person? What annoys you?

Ill start it off.

A woman at my job, who constantly cries about being broke, and how her kids have to eat the same thing every day to anyone who will listen, yet at the same time eats out every single day at restaurants for lunch.
Most people who cry 'poor mouth' have plenty of money, but they're looking for other people to subsidize them. Usually, they have plenty of money for the things they want to do that aren't necessary, and then they claim they don't have the money for necessities, so others should give it to them.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,253,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I was married to someone who had to have "top of the line" items on a "bottom of the barrel" income. I'm talking everything, even mundane stuff. It was a relief after we got divorced.
Oh, I had one of those! You know how, after a divorce, a woman's quality of life is supposed to plummet financially? Well, much to my shock, I had MORE money left over at the end of the month! Turns out, I suddenly had a surplus. I couldn't believe how much of my money he had been spending on hand painted Italian ties and the like. My quality of life soared after my divorce!

As for the other posts, I'm reading through and yeah, I get the frustration with people who complain about feeling the squeeze even as they continue to enjoy their high priced items and habits. But some of the judgments here might be off the mark. The family that is barely scraping by but suddenly goes to Disneyland? How do you know they didn't receive an inheritance or that it wasn't a gift from a relative? Sometimes when you have struggled a long time and your morale is low, you welcome an opportunity to do something "lavish" for your family. There is nothing wrong with that. It depends on the situation. I try not to judge people on this level because there is too much going on behind the scenes that I don't know. It's none of my business.

If they appear to be doing just fine but ASK ME for money, well, then I feel I have to right to ask some questions and get annoyed.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Oh, I had one of those! You know how, after a divorce, a woman's quality of life is supposed to plummet financially? Well, much to my shock, I had MORE money left over at the end of the month! Turns out, I suddenly had a surplus. I couldn't believe how much of my money he had been spending on hand painted Italian ties and the like. My quality of life soared after my divorce!

As for the other posts, I'm reading through and yeah, I get the frustration with people who complain about feeling the squeeze even as they continue to enjoy their high priced items and habits. But some of the judgments here might be off the mark. The family that is barely scraping by but suddenly goes to Disneyland? How do you know they didn't receive an inheritance or that it wasn't a gift from a relative? Sometimes when you have struggled a long time and your morale is low, you welcome an opportunity to do something "lavish" for your family. There is nothing wrong with that. It depends on the situation. I try not to judge people on this level because there is too much going on behind the scenes that I don't know. It's none of my business.

If they appear to be doing just fine but ASK ME for money, well, then I feel I have to right to ask some questions and get annoyed.
Exactly. I never judge the way people are spending their money unless THEY make it an issue, either by complaining endlessly about finances or, worse yet, asking me for money. Once somebody asks you for money, then you have an absolute right to judge.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
After you see epople doing the same things for a long time ;you pretty much just ignore them.There will always be irresponsible people.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,439,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
My mother.

My mom has moved in with my Grandmother, who has Alzheimer's and it's in the middle stages. My Grandma has a very good income, house is paid off, no car payments or CC bills or any of that. My mom has a decent income which is now combined with my Grandma's since there's only one household to maintain.

My mom refuses to hire someone to help out with the care of my Grandma and says that she "can't afford it". This drives me crazy. I don't want my Grandma in a nursing home, and we are in agreement there, but the money is THERE to avoid "caregiver burnout", why won't she use it? She spends a ton of money on crap though... but there's always something she's saying she can't "afford".

I have a friend that I've been friends with since adolescence, literally. Our kids have grown up together. When she was married she forever complained about being broke, though she hadn't worked outside the home for the entire time she was married (long after the kids were little and we were both SAHM's)... I just let it go in one ear and out the other, when she complained, because I knew full well we were managing on half of her income and that's with an extra kid in our household compared to hers, plus she got lots of "Grandparent" help for things like dance lessons, soccer, amusement park season passes, Disney vacations, etc. Her kids always had a TON of excessive "stuff", they always had big TV's, newer cars, and so onn. We don't have any of that, especially the "Grandparent help". So yeah, her "I'm so broke" stuff drove me batty.

I feel kind of bad about it but she finally knows what "broke" is now and I will admit to having some small bit of satisfaction here. She and her husband split, he kept the kids, her absolute lack of employment history and relatively useless degree are giving her a big, fat reality check. I don't like to see anyone struggle and I would help her out in a heartbeat if she needed it (she stayed with me for a while after the split, in fact) but man, I bet she has some real perspective now on the word "broke" and doesn't toss it around as freely now that she's experienced the joys of counting change for gas money!
Maybe she's using your Grandma's money on her crap. You may want to look into it.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Amazing...

If there was a magic wand that could be waved over every poor "moocher", "parasite" (read welfare recipient) instilling in them the deepest feelings of the protestant work ethic you would have enough jobs to accommodate them even if we were at 4% which is considered full employment! Instead, some folks here sit around wailing about the unemployed poor, ironically never mentioning the working poor, in a period on eight plus percent unemployment.

It simply boggles the mind.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

11,892 posts, read 14,359,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner35 View Post
People who file bankruptcy; spoiled irresponsible brats. The exception would be illness.
That's most of them. Though these days folks who thought they would always be able to find a decent paying job are a large part.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 AM

8,033 posts, read 7,056,459 times
Fortunately, I don't hear much whining. I'm a Pastor, and most of the people I know, know that I am and therefore are usually on their best behavior. (Guess they think I don't know what people are really like.) Anyhow, yesterday, I'm in Wallyworld checking out, and this nice looking young lady, with designer jeans, nice new athletic shoe, and a fancy diamond wedding ring, gets some of her food with her Foodstamp card. Makes me sick especially when the lady checking her out is about a 65 yr. old lady. IE. That old woman is working hard all day standing there, while part of her income goes to pay for the young healthy moocher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or