U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 AM

4,550 posts, read 3,191,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Fortunately, I don't hear much whining. I'm a Pastor, and most of the people I know, know that I am and therefore are usually on their best behavior. (Guess they think I don't know what people are really like.) Anyhow, yesterday, I'm in Wallyworld checking out, and this nice looking young lady, with designer jeans, nice new athletic shoe, and a fancy diamond wedding ring, gets some of her food with her Foodstamp card. Makes me sick especially when the lady checking her out is about a 65 yr. old lady. IE. That old woman is working hard all day standing there, while part of her income goes to pay for the young healthy moocher.
Many years ago, during one of my 'dire straits' periods, I was given food stamps. I had a month or so left when I finally got a job and one day I went shopping, after work. The cashier told me then that as long as I was using food stamps I really really shouldn't go shopping "all dressed up". I wasn't...I was just wearing my office clothes...but I understood her point.

As a cashier now I see this all the time. I give them the benefit of the doubt figuring they probably already had these 'nice things' before they got hit by adverse circumstances. I don't automatically judge them as "moochers". Although I DO wonder about the ones who pay for food with food stamps and then haul out a roll of money to pay for everything else.

I'm a 69 year old "old woman" but I kinda resent being thought of that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 AM

17,021 posts, read 12,393,575 times
my wife's cousins are people that make good money, spend way too much and she is always complaining that she is worried about money. but what really bothers me is that my mother in law will criticize everything they do and point out how they are wasting money. we have already established that they waste money, i dont need to hear it everytime they do something.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 AM

304 posts, read 243,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
We all know someone who cries poor mouth, yet annoys you with their hypocrisy? Who is that person? What annoys you?

Ill start it off.

A woman at my job, who constantly cries about being broke, and how her kids have to eat the same thing every day to anyone who will listen, yet at the same time eats out every single day at restaurants for lunch.
My friend who does not work and is not actively seeking work, and always talking about how broke she is (her father pays her rent).

I am broke, too, but I work full-time - there is a difference.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM

604 posts, read 418,275 times
This whole thread pretty much describes the entire "Occupy (Enter City)" crowd!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 AM

797 posts, read 985,890 times
What kills me about these people crying poor mouth is that they're never smart enough not to tell you about their wastefulness. If I was trying to get someone to subsidize my lifestyle, I'd probably keep mum about all the new stuff I just bought.

I learned a long time ago that these people can't be helped because they don't want to change. They just want you to give them some money so they can continue to pi$$ it away on all the things they feel entitled to. Most will be that way until desperation forces them to do things differently.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 AM

17,021 posts, read 12,393,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
What kills me about these people crying poor mouth is that they're never smart enough not to tell you about their wastefulness. If I was trying to get someone to subsidize my lifestyle, I'd probably keep mum about all the new stuff I just bought.
yeah, thats what i keep hearing from my wife and mother in law regarding the family member that is always crying about not having enough money. they went on a 2+ week family trip (4 people) to egypt and israel, which apparently cost some ridiculous amount of money. now it seems she says she wont be able to send her daughter to the college she wants to go to because of the expense.

its interesting how people seem to never want to sacrifice current spending in order to have money for future things. sometimes i wonder whether or not it catches up to people.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,540,202 times
My mother's friend cries broke and poor ALL the time. Yet she goes to the movies almost everyday AND buys her snacks there (she always tells my mom how she goes to "Theater A" all the time even though they are the most expensive around, because the popcorn is the best with the best butter on it).

And no, she's not using gift cards that she got - she pays.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM

5,254 posts, read 11,124,906 times
People that will drive a gajillion miles to get something on sale... and then have the nerve to cry about the price of gas. Do they NOT do the math? What it costed in fuel, killed the cost savings of whatever they were getting. Not to mention the depreciation cost of their vehicle because they do this all the time and put a gajiliion unnecessary miles on their vehicle. It would be different if you live in the middle of nowhere and have no choice but to shop far away, but when you live in a town that is full of stores? makes no sense.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,540,202 times
My neighbor cries poor and how he has no money for anything, but he drives up to NH a couple times a month (= gas money spent) AND buys 4 cartons of cigarettes EVERY month.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 AM

4,952 posts, read 2,769,099 times
I really enjoyed this thread. I got some great laughs. Sorry that I'm going off topic. My favorite (rather least favorite) area are the parents that get government support for children with extremely mild special education needs. Don't get me wrong, when you need to buy diapers for your severely handicapped 12 year old, special materials or special equipment I totally believe in these programs. But sometimes children with (for example) speech and language needs and low income parents slip through the cracks and get accepted.

A number of years ago I had two brothers with speech & language needs & slight delays (at the early child hood level. They also had a six year old brother with speech delays. They would come to school dressed like fashion models every day. Top of the line, Tommy Hilfiger type clothes, very frequent new clothing and new shoes. My son was about the same age at the time & he was wearing shirts that I got on sale at Target & Kmart plus hand-me-downs from an older cousin. I could never understand how they could afford those clothes (as I certainly couldn't on my teacher's salary) as I know the parents lived in low income housing and the dad only had a part time job. The parents constantly complained how they couldn't pay $4 for the fieldtrip or buy books for their children or pay the extra $10 for school pictures.

One day the parents sent something into school to apply for free lunch and I noticed that they were getting $400 in supplementary government payments a month for each son! Imagine $1,200 a month! Then it all made sense, no wonder they could afford the big screen TV and new furniture in their apartment and all of those great clothes. The funny thing was that later in the year the speech therapist tried to dismiss the older son from speech and the parents put up a huge fuss. Instead of being happy that he had made so many gains they probably were thinking about losing the $400 a month. BTW within two years all three boys were dismissed from speech. I have been wanted to get this off of my chest for years.

Before all of you readers go crazy----it has been my experience that almost every case of government support to moderately and severely handicapped children is very legitimate, it is very rare that something like this slips through the cracks.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living