Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I've also met many people that have similar stories to the ones that have been shared here.

What annoys me the most - actually what disappoints me the most - is that such qualities as honesty, integrity, self-sacrifice, helping your neighbor, personal responsibility, sucking it up, adult decision making, caring for your children first, standing on your own two feet, humility, are all foreign concepts to so many people.
Exactly!

I wonder where in the world this entitlement mentality comes from? And it's not just the up-and-coming generations either, as shown by the people who posted that they know seniors who do the exact same thing (plead poverty while having money in investments, taking vacations, etc.) It just seems like honest-to-goodness values have been kicked to the curb because more and more people think that they have the right to help themselves to other people's pocketbooks. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
Well, even though I'm no one to judge, I don't mind venting a little about a family member, hehe.
He and his "girlfriend" (of the day), live in an apartment my parents are stupid enough to pay for. He's mid 20s and threw a fit saying he needed to move out of my parents house because "He's a man now", and somehow cowed my parents into paying his rent. He signs up to college classes on my parents dime and doesn't attend. He does this so he can keep saying he's a poor student, and my parents keep footing rent, car insurance and cell phone "since he's in school". Ummm...the kid makes straight Fs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Open your EYES!
He posts pictures of himself passed out on facebook surrounded by expensive whiskey bottles, thinking that's funny. You can't walk through the apartment living room as it's stacked with boxes and boxes of video games, action figures and comic books he buys since he doesn't need to use his money to live. He brags on Facebook about how poor he is. He makes up bizzare untrue stories about himself on line like "Oh, just broke my arm, fixed it with some duct tape." When you ask about the story later he gets angry and demands you shut up. He works a night job where he appears to be weaving a tale about his life that is very, very false. He drives around a new car, but asks you to "Hit him with a 20" constantly.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
Duct tape? Thats the best thing I've ever heard. Ive got friends who brag about having money they dont have. One guy the other day told me he contributed "a little over $300K" in his 401k over the last 5 years. "Howd you get around those 401k contribution limitations?" ... "Oh they dont apply to my job". Riiiiiiiight...

Or another friend of mine went to dinner with us, bill was about $600 for 10 people - he didn't have cash so he pulled out his credit card and we all gave him cash. Later, he told me he just expensed the dinner on his corporate card and kept the cash.

Guess this isn't poor mouth, but its just as bad.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
Oh my gosh Chicagotodc, that's straight up fraud!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Oh my gosh Chicagotodc, that's straight up fraud!
It's his call whether or not its OK for him to expense it; I'd argue its fraud too, but far as I was concerned thats between him and his employer. What bugged me most was that he basically took money from his friends.

If you think thats offensive consider this: The guy makes well over $100k...

But the worst part of the story? He's a lawyer. Seriously.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM

88 posts, read 296,511 times
Omg I thought I was the only one who knows people like this, it is SO annoying!! Aghh!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
We just spent the weekend with friends & family and one of the couples, were the same I spoke about in an earlier post.... Always,always complaining about not having any money, we can't afford this or that but yet last Summer they purchaed season passes to a waterpark when they have a pool in their backyard..
This weekend, they went to see the movie ; "The Avengers" THREE times! ? Three times to watch the same movie and 2 of those 3x were at an Imax Theatre which we all know, costs more money?!
IF you cannot afford things, my guess would be that spending almost $100 in one weekend on the SAME movie, is not exactly frugal.....??

Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
I had a hard time recently with what another friend said/did. She and her husband have an 18 y/o daughter, a 6 y/o daughter and a 2 y/o granddaughter. They support the kids of course, including the grandchild. I have nothing against that, but she has admitted since the 2 y/o was born how she and her husband struggle financially. The 18 y/o doesn't work or go to school and contributes nothing to her daughter's care (and she isn't staying home caring for the "baby" - she is in daycare that is paid for by the state). However, for her birthday she wanted a tattoo, and her parents paid for it - to the tune of $900. And then they had to shift the budget to afford the necessities.

I get that you want your teen to have as normal a life as possible, but to pay for her tattoo of that amount and then continue to grumble about having to crunch numbers to pay the bills and buy groceries......gah! Can't feel sorry for you. A tattoo is not a necessity!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
This weekend, they went to see the movie ; "The Avengers" THREE times! ? Three times to watch the same movie and 2 of those 3x were at an Imax Theatre which we all know, costs more money?!
IF you cannot afford things, my guess would be that spending almost $100 in one weekend on the SAME movie, is not exactly frugal.....??
Wow, thats just,

Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Wow, thats just,
Yes, it is absolutely ridiculous....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living