Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin that is the biggest hyprocrite when it comes to being "poor".

He complains constantly about having to pay child support - although he is only ordered to pay an astronomical total of . . . . $300 a month.

Now on months where it doesn't get paid, I just sit back and laugh because his monthly budget of things that he could do without and then pay his child support is huge.

$300 in child support

vs.

Monthly expenses he could do without and then pay his child support:

$280 / cigarettes

$250 / Coors Light

$350 / going to bars and eating out at restaruants

$120 / XBox 360 games (average: two per month)

So those items combined come to $1,000 a month and in his world take priority over paying the $300 in child support, so in order for the child support to get paid, he has to have an extra $1,300 a month with the first $1,000 going to the crap listed above first.

And note: he has a truck that his dad paid for and bought for him (no payments required) and his dad pays for the insurance on the vehicle every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I have this person who constantly complains to me how he lives from paycheck to paycheck supporting two wives and two kids. OK, he eats out everyday including dinner and then he shows up with this brand new car with shiny custom wheels (about $35-40K all together).

Wow!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM

59 posts, read 90,906 times
Ask any two self-described broke / frugal living people to analyze each other's spending habits and they'll find something excessive or unnecessary in each others lives. I think everyone has cried "poor mouth" at least once. I know I have, while sitting in a bar playing with a 4 year old busted iphone (the one time I went out that month). I knew exactly how it sounded and looked, but hey a man needs to vent every now and then when the money is tight. I would agree the flat screen tvs and $40k cars are excessive, but I can understand why someone would depend on smokes and beer to deal with life.

I wonder if "frugal fatigue" is a driver behind these seemingly huge splurge purchases? You scrimp and save for so long while people around you acquire more and more STUFF, and finally just cave and buy something nice that you can't really afford. I suspect it's a fundamental complication of human psychology, not so much that people are just lazy and entitled.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I have a cousin that is the biggest hyprocrite when it comes to being "poor".

He complains constantly about having to pay child support - although he is only ordered to pay an astronomical total of . . . . $300 a month.

Now on months where it doesn't get paid, I just sit back and laugh because his monthly budget of things that he could do without and then pay his child support is huge.

$300 in child support

vs.

Monthly expenses he could do without and then pay his child support:

$280 / cigarettes

$250 / Coors Light

$350 / going to bars and eating out at restaruants

$120 / XBox 360 games (average: two per month)

So those items combined come to $1,000 a month and in his world take priority over paying the $300 in child support, so in order for the child support to get paid, he has to have an extra $1,300 a month with the first $1,000 going to the crap listed above first.

And note: he has a truck that his dad paid for and bought for him (no payments required) and his dad pays for the insurance on the vehicle every month.
That's because he gets nothing for that $300, he won't see it until he has an adult heart.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
It's his call whether or not its OK for him to expense it; I'd argue its fraud too, but far as I was concerned thats between him and his employer. What bugged me most was that he basically took money from his friends.

If you think thats offensive consider this: The guy makes well over $100k...

But the worst part of the story? He's a lawyer. Seriously.
No, he didn't take money from his friends, his friends ate food and paid for it.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
what annoys me about people that say that is they are usually poor money managers and r heavily in debt.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I have a relative who is constantly complaining about no money when she owns three houses,
goes travelling whenever she wants and basically lives the LIFe of Riley. Get tired of it.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
That's why it's probably good to at least at some point to have been really broke so you know what it means. It means you turn down an invite to go for $1 beers because you really can't afford even one. Any chance to earn a few dollars sounds like a good opportunity. You start actually listening to those who talk about getting still warm and wrapped hamburgers a fast food restaurant is going to toss - just in case things get worse.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,776 times
I have a friend of 37 years who is always crying poor. She's 76, works full-time and part-time, draws Social Security and was getting alimony until her ex died last yr. Her house is paid for as is her 13 yr old car. She has literally travelled the world over the years, but she can't afford decent shoes or clothes. Whenever she tells me she "can't afford" something I just say, "Sure you can!!" Even her financial advisor has told her she's nuts. I think she likes the attention.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I wonder -- is this an American cultural trait? Is it as common in other cultures to pretend to be poor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living