Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,661,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
We all know someone who cries poor mouth, yet annoys you with their hypocrisy? Who is that person? What annoys you?

Ill start it off.

A woman at my job, who constantly cries about being broke, and how her kids have to eat the same thing every day to anyone who will listen, yet at the same time eats out every single day at restaurants for lunch.
LOL, don't get me started on this road. I know a lot of people like this, my neighbor is the worst. She complains they have no money to do anything with the kids, yet her and hubby smoke a pack a day. Choose how you spend your money carefully. Those cigs will run at least $300 a month, thats a lot of FUN money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM

22,821 posts, read 6,431,335 times
We have rentals and see all kinds of people. There are always those that don't have the rent, can't pay the utilities, but there's always money for beer, cigarettes, maybe drugs as well. No, their friends aren't supplying them for free. They leave more clothes behind than I own, along with a lot of items you would think a person would take with them when they move. I end up donating a lot to various charities. Before I was a landlord I didn't understand what goes on..

Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
We have rentals and see all kinds of people. There are always those that don't have the rent, can't pay the utilities, but there's always money for beer, cigarettes, maybe drugs as well. No, their friends aren't supplying them for free. They leave more clothes behind than I own, along with a lot of items you would think a person would take with them when they move. I end up donating a lot to various charities. Before I was a landlord I didn't understand what goes on..
My parents had apt. and home rentals for many years and it never ceased to amaze me what people would leave behind. Some of it useful some just junk.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,445 times
A friend of mine is pretty well off but acts poor. If she owes you money, write it off. Never lend money to people like this.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
I've also met many people that have similar stories to the ones that have been shared here.

What annoys me the most - actually what disappoints me the most - is that such qualities as honesty, integrity, self-sacrifice, helping your neighbor, personal responsibility, sucking it up, adult decision making, caring for your children first, standing on your own two feet, humility, are all foreign concepts to so many people.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 AM

83 posts, read 121,282 times
I hate how a friend of mine is always complaining about not having money to spend on himself because he has a daughter! Seriously? That's what you have parents for. They're there to take care of you until you can handle handle yourself on your own. Just because he see's me with the new PSP, skateboards,"cool clothes" and whatnot he assumes I'm a freaking bank.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times
I have never heard anyone cry "poor mouth" in this country.
I seem to be surrounded only by people who are extremely tight-lipped about their money.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I know a family who lost their home due to foreclosure. Their house payment was $1400/month and they couldn't afford it even though the household income is about $100,000/year. When they were forced to move out they rented a house for $1600/month.
They probably lived in the foreclosed house for free for up to 3 years. Think of the money they saved!

Not knowing what they paid in property tax, insurance, upkeep, and utilities, it's possible the $1600 apartment is cheaper than the $1400 mortgage. It's also likely they carried a 2nd mortgage on their house, which they no longer have to worry about.

I would say 100% of the stories we hear have missing elements.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanKed View Post
I hate how a friend of mine is always complaining about not having money to spend on himself because he has a daughter! Seriously? That's what you have parents for. They're there to take care of you until you can handle handle yourself on your own. Just because he see's me with the new PSP, skateboards,"cool clothes" and whatnot he assumes I'm a freaking bank.
I'm sure glad you aren't my kid. You would have a job and be buying your own toys.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,150,918 times
I dislike how these people feel entitled to others giving them stuff. My friend who I mentioned before, they rent from her brother-in-law. He's nice enough to allow them to be late on rent sometimes (I'm sure many people think that family should help others out, but we all know it doesn't always work that way).

Anyhow, said friend has the nerve to complain that he comes looking for their rent (which is now 2 months behind) and that he should just let it slide since he has so much money. I bit my tongue, but couldn't help but think "well, he probably figures you have the money since you just bought yourself a Kindle Fire". Not only that, but why should he let it slide, rich or not? He handed her husband a job, no questions asked; rented them the home for dirt sheap since they are family. They could've been back in their home state living with her parents and have NO job and NO money if not for the brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living