U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:33 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,586,660 times

Advertisements

When I have money, I spend it.
When I don't have any money I make do with what I have.

Over my lifetime, I have had no money a lot more often than I have had money.
So when I average it all out, I have lived a very frugal life.

My grandmother, who taught me:
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
would have been proud of me.

My mother, who tried to teach me:
"Hard work is the road to success"
Always called be a bum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 AM

3,714 posts, read 8,119,233 times
My gran taught me the same thing. My mother - well, best left usaid. But she brought me up with thrift shops and garage sales. I've had money, and I've had zilch. Oddly enough, it was the times that I had the most money (on paper for the IRS, anyway) that life was most difficult and required the most penny-pinching.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,578,099 times

Thanks Freddy...what a GREAT quote! Amazing how much wisdom came from those who survived the Great Depression. My mom grew up as a kid during the war in Germany. She taught me the importance of living frugally....but not necessarily doing without anything. It's more about spending your money wisely on things you really want or need and not a bunch of filler junk.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,359,578 times
Love that saying "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" And how true.
I've been on both sides of the track...with money and with no money. I tell my kids and anyone who says about money that it wasnt until i had/have no money that i really started to "live" Sure its nice to have money to get all the bills paid and do all the extra things that are just money blowing extravagances. BUT...we struggle to make ends meat now, and my family is happy. We do more family things together, that are non money related, we do puzzles, games, hikes, walks, ride bikes, parks, ect...we look for the "free" things to do. And it has brought us closer together as a family, what i didnt have growing up with money.
So Freddy, thank you...and thank your Grandma for a wonderful reminder.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 AM

304 posts, read 782,376 times
It's nice to control the paycheck rather than the paycheck control me.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,782,622 times
This stance "use it up, wear it out, etc.", I completely make it mine, in fact I live paycheck to paycheck, don't save much (only for travelling because it's my hobby) but don't live on credit either, it feels good to always have a little money for small things that make life pleasant , I wouldn't want to starve myself for a longterm "big scheme" or "investment of the century" ...

Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM

179 posts, read 852,633 times
You have to find a happy medium. You should not spend to the point you live paycheck-to-paycheck (or worse, you spend more than you make) but you also have to enjoy life, which is difficult to do if you are far too frugal and save as much as possible for a future day that might not ever arrive. I use my grandpa as a perfect example of how not to starve for today in order to have money for tomorrow, as he did not even live long enough to enjoy the rewards of his frugality (he was in his early 60s when he died from cancer).

I think I have been able to find this medium, as I am able to save a significant portion of my income but I also am not afraid to spend money on things I enjoy (such as buying an expensive little fishing boat; oddly, the ones that do not save money are the ones most critical of my decision).

Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 AM

304 posts, read 782,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
I also am not afraid to spend money on things I enjoy (such as buying an expensive little fishing boat; oddly, the ones that do not save money are the ones most critical of my decision).
They have a case of the green-eyed monster then.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,491,516 times
Perfect set of rules, I love it. I think those are rules for financial success.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM

540 posts, read 1,175,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

My grandmother, who taught me:
would have been proud of me.
My granny used to say..."Make hay while the sun shines"

Love that one, but my favorite as a kid was....

"Wherever ye be, let the wind blow free"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living