U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 09:18 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,426,600 times

Advertisements

We spend about $385/month for 2 people. That includes all HH supplies needed too. So it's probably actually closer to $350 on food, or $175/person. Then an additional $25-30 per person a month eating out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 10:13 AM

8,960 posts, read 3,118,603 times
I would say that the average is about $105 per week for a family of 4, and 2 pets.

We eat at least 2 vegetarian meals a week. For example, we might have baked potatoes as the main course.

I buy almost exclusively items that are on sale. I've calculated that using my store card for purchases saves about $1,000 per year. Do that over 20 years and you've really got something.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:10 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,744,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
$300 a month for just myself. That includes toiletries and paper products. Food is the one area in my life where I'm not frugal. I have a little bit of a food addiction, and I try to eat healthy.
That's not bad at all. Ours (him and me) was over $800 for December which includes any non foods I buy at BJs, Costco, and the regular grocery store. We do not eat out often. I eat very little starch, though I'm considering adding some small servings of oatmeal just because I have so much of it laying around.

I'm not frugal with food either because I love good quality food especially meat and vegetables, and back when I was super frugal trying to save money, I was on a strict budget for food and absolutely hated the experience.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
The move to Oklahoma has thrown my price matching and neighborhood store shopping. WallMart, Sams, Aldi, two rather dingy local chains (We actually walked out of one.) within a 45 minute radius. Wine is ridiculously expensive, so are vegetables.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:33 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,248,189 times
For those on gluten-free diets:

I don't have a food $ number to post yet but the way we save money while still eating high quality meat is to eat less meat
:-). I buy meat on sale then weigh it and re-package it to freeze in 8 ounce portions (2 adults) or less which is 4 ounces per person per dinner. I can't eat seafood due to allergies but DH buys salmon and shrimp and has that once a week while I go vegetarian that night (I love veggies). We also have at least one other dinner per week that is either vegetarian or egg-based.

I had to change my diet (and husband came along since I do the cooking ha) due to GI problems. We basically eat 4 oz. meat each with a green veggie and a potato. No pasta, no rice or other grains. I am gluten-free but do not buy pre-made GF products (except quinoa pasta). They are expensive and taste like crap. GF flour lets me make cookies and other snacks so I don't feel deprived.

Not only am I healthier eating this way but my hubby is happy too. Our meals are so good we don't feel like eating out at nice restaurants. Being retired helps allow the time to do this but cooking takes up very little of my time. 30 minutes is normal unless I'm making a big batch to freeze some for future.

Examples: (2) 4 oz. portions of ground beef can be hamburgers or (8) 1 oz. meatballs in gravy or tacos or many other fun meals. I just made the meatballs and we both commented that 4 meatballs each seemed like a much bigger amount than having 1 hamburger, maybe it was the gravy (made from chicken broth from the meatball recipe).

Potatoes are also wonderful and do not deserve the bad rep some people give them. They can be used in so many ways and are nutritious and filling.

Casseroles: I don't make many because I'm Gfree but if quinoa pasta is on sale I'll make a chicken and GF pasta casserole and freeze extra. Add a green veggie and that's a great meal.

After Jan 1 I'll be doing a past year financial review and see how much I spent on the 2015 food. I charge everything so I get back % on the credit card and it's a way to keep track of expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living