U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,939,688 times

Advertisements

Aldi is generally cheap, although they don't carry the brands you are familiar with from the regular store.

I can do better at BJ's with a coupon for "brand name" food, which I'm more comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 AM

326 posts, read 1,146,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Aldi is generally cheap, although they don't carry the brands you are familiar with from the regular store.

I can do better at BJ's with a coupon for "brand name" food, which I'm more comfortable with.
Good to know... have to check it out one day.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:54 PM

732 posts, read 1,667,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
Same here!!!

Execpt Aldi... I've never really entered Aldi. I was under the impression that they were expensive. Is that not so?
As annerk said, Aldi is often much cheaper than regular grocery stores. However, they are a 95% private label store. Brand names (the Kraft, General Mills, Pillsbury) are generally special purchase items. Aldi also does not try to carry every product- only those items that will turn over quickly. Thus, you would have to supplement with items from other stores.

Prices at Aldi vary with geography, but here in Northern VA, the Aldi near me carries eggs at $.88/dozen, milk $1.99/gallon, block cheese $1.29/8oz and sliced cheese $1.49/8oz.

Produce is a weaker area. Prices are good, but the quality can be spotty. With that said, their mushrooms ($1.19/8oz) almost always look pristine, and when they have a sale on strawberries ($1.29/lb this week) they produce moves quickly and stays fresh.

The one area that I avoid Aldi is fresh meat. They used irradiated (sp?) meat in that packaging that claims to be good for a while. I don't trust that processing, and thus get my fresh meat elsewhere.

I would check out Aldi's website to get the low-down on the cart system (need a quarter, which is returned to you when you return the cart) and the need to bring/buy bags. But once you get used to it, Aldi is a wonderful aid in keeping food costs low.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM

901 posts, read 2,610,229 times
I average $250 for a family of 1.5 (my boyfriend eats with me a couple of days a week).

Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM

18,264 posts, read 6,947,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
I'm curious as to how much everyone spends on groceries per month per person. I know this will vary by geographic area and age of children, but I just want a general idea.

*JUST groceries. Not including things like laundry soap and toilet paper.

Around $300 a month. That is just my mom and I.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,850,315 times
We have 3 adults and 2 young children. I spend about $550 a month on groceries, but this does include things like paper towels, toilet paper, household supplies (cleaners, wipes, sponges, soap, shampoo, lotion) and wine. If I were to minus out the wine, then the bill would go down to $450. Minus household stuff - I'm guessing around $400. It would be less than $400 if I didn't have to buy stuff from Melaleuca - that runs me about $75 a month. Ouch.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,966,907 times
Excluding non-food items we spend $140 or so a month. We eat out about 2 times a week (usually lunch).

Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 PM

326 posts, read 1,146,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
As annerk said, Aldi is often much cheaper than regular grocery stores. However, they are a 95% private label store. Brand names (the Kraft, General Mills, Pillsbury) are generally special purchase items. Aldi also does not try to carry every product- only those items that will turn over quickly. Thus, you would have to supplement with items from other stores.

Prices at Aldi vary with geography, but here in Northern VA, the Aldi near me carries eggs at $.88/dozen, milk $1.99/gallon, block cheese $1.29/8oz and sliced cheese $1.49/8oz.

Produce is a weaker area. Prices are good, but the quality can be spotty. With that said, their mushrooms ($1.19/8oz) almost always look pristine, and when they have a sale on strawberries ($1.29/lb this week) they produce moves quickly and stays fresh.

The one area that I avoid Aldi is fresh meat. They used irradiated (sp?) meat in that packaging that claims to be good for a while. I don't trust that processing, and thus get my fresh meat elsewhere.

I would check out Aldi's website to get the low-down on the cart system (need a quarter, which is returned to you when you return the cart) and the need to bring/buy bags. But once you get used to it, Aldi is a wonderful aid in keeping food costs low.
Thanks for the info... I sounds like something I MIGHT check out.

I don't need another store to supplement... I do enough running around...LOL. I go to three different stores already to buy my groceries.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM

33,945 posts, read 32,373,038 times
I don't know. I stopped knowing how much grocery items cost when they stopped stamping the price on them back in the Jurassic Era. I go to the supermarket every few days and only buy a few things each trip because I have to lug groceries up a flight of stairs. Maybe if I went less frequently I'd be able to answer. I just food shop for myself. I don't have a budget. I live cheaply because I'm boring, not because I'm frugal.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 PM

2,539 posts, read 8,563,766 times
We don't really keep track, but probably about $300 or so a month for my husband and I. We don't eat meat...so that probably lowers the cost a bit. However we do try to buy organic when possible, and shop at farmers markets for produce when we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living