U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM

682 posts, read 1,827,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
I try to keep the grocery bill at $40 or less a week (one person), and usually succeed. So that's $160 a month.

But I could do better. I used to buy a lot less packaged/processed food and cooked more. Rarely bought bread, made my own desserts, etc.

Vegetarian, so no meat, but on the other hand I do often get at least one of those Boca Burger type products now, so that offsets that savings a bit. No eggs cuz my chickens do that for me (and their feed is wicked cheap).
What kind of meals do you usually eat? Do you have any favorite budget-friendly recipes? (That don't take an hour of prep time)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I spend an average of $100 a month for myself and my cats. I'm including toiletries and cat litter in that number. My cats have fairly expensive food but I generally eat cheap staples (rice, beans, cheaper fruits & vegetables) which keeps costs down. I don't eat much meat either, which helps.
Wow. So is a typical dinner for you beans and rice?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Wow. So is a typical dinner for you beans and rice?
$80/person in our house, and that included (8) Salmon and steak dinners last month + hosting 22 extra meals for visitors (all done within $160 total). Plenty of fruits and veggies 4 servings / day

If its not a sale, I don't buy it; if I run out of money, I don't buy food; If I run out of food I don't eat... pretty simple strategy. (lost 8 # last month, but gained 4# back due to over indulgence of Homemade Ice Cream and fresh raspberry pie this week (plus as granny said..."I eat like a horse"), I'm definitely reducing serving sizes as 'gravity' takes over the waistline.

Bound and determined to be back down 6# by the end of the week. That will put me back to my High School weight. (36 yrs later )

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-12-2009 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$80/person in our house, and that included (8) Salmon and steak dinners last month + hosting 22 extra meals for visitors (all done within $160 total). Plenty of fruits and veggies 4 servings / day

If its not a sale, I don't buy it; if I run out of money, I don't buy food; If I run out of food I don't eat... pretty simple strategy. (lost 8 # last month, but gained 4# back due to over indulgence of Homemade Ice Cream and fresh raspberry pie this week (plus as granny said..."I eat like a horse"), I'm definitely reducing serving sizes as 'gravity' takes over the waistline.

Bound and determined to be back down 6# by the end of the week. That will put me back to my High School weight. (36 yrs later )
In case you don't already know about it, Livestrong.com is a great website for counting calories. I've never tried to lose weight before, but I decided a couple months ago I wanted to lose 10 pounds to improve my 5k time. It only took me six weeks to lose it (and I wasn't being gung-ho about it, either). I was really amazed at how easy it is to lose weight if you just keep close track of your calories.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM

315 posts, read 825,443 times
My DH and I and our 6yr old, we spend about $450 per month on food alone. We buy alot of organic foods, if it was not for that I am sure it would be less.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 PM

96 posts, read 218,724 times
I spend about $100 per month on food alone for myself. I eat well! Fresh fruit and veggies, chicken and beef, rice, pasta, beans, some seafood. I buy meat on sale and use my freezer. I'm a good cook and know how to get the most for my money. My Mother was an excellent cook and baker and she taught both me and my sister. Also always have had a garden which saves you a ton of money plus the taste is so much better than storebought.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,705,435 times
$150-200 per month for myself. Lately I have been a bit more conscious about what i buy, trying to save a bit more. I eat well, and some of that is getting a pizza or a burrito(I like to treat myself on payday.) Brown bagging lunch has helped save me a ton. i have friends who buy lunch everyday and complain that they are broke.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 AM

47 posts, read 136,448 times
It's just me and my roommate, but we buy our groceries separately.

I spend about $300/mo just for me, but that includes lunches which I brown-bag for work everyday.

I think that my grocery bill is a little high for 1 person, but it is really important for me to eat organic fruits + veggies, grass-fed beef, etc. Yes--I just saw Food, Inc.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,433,041 times
Our grocery budget for 2 is $600 per month but that includes paper products and some toiletries but I'm going to stop buying toiletries at the supermarket. When I have to buy meats, I go to BILO. They also have the best produce section but they are an expensive supermarket. I try to shop Food Lion for all of my day to day needs. My hubby is 6'4 and eats a great deal more than I do. I do buy organic milk and lean meats, which cost more. Our food budget is an area where I will be working to cut costs over the next 2 months or so. We planted our first garden (new house in the country) and I've been getting tomatoes, cukes and a few peppers, which has helped some. We eat out at least twice on weekends (he works and travels all week) but we don't go overboard...usually one of the country barbcue buffets here in rural SC. I'm going to get better about using coupons and really working to get our food budget down. I cook home made meals frequently but there is room for improvement all the way around.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
when I had easy asccess to my beloved Aldi I spent $100 per week for three adults and 2 kids. Everything except pet food. Now we live in a more expensive area and my grocery bill went up to $160 per week! Not good. Now we dirve to Cary once every 3 months to stock up. I rarely use processed foods and when veggies run out we buy from the farmer's market. I think folks who don't keep track of what they spend on groceries and complain that they can't save are being naive about their food costs. We are upper side of middle class-almost $200,000 per year in income and we still watch every penny. I don't know how somebody trying to raise a family on $50,00 can NOT afford to keep track of grocery costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living