U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times

Advertisements

Well, I have to. All my other expenses are "fixed", but food. It is either reduce the food budget, or get another job. I was barely making it before, now the student loan people found me...

My plan is to eat everything in this house, before buying another thing. I have stuff in the freezer, and the cupboard.

But, as a single person, I can do that. It is more complicated with kids.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 06:06 PM

6,308 posts, read 7,990,836 times
$175 per month is my monthly budget for 1 adult (me). I have a separate dining out budget of $60/month. I generally never go to the max on both in the same month.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:31 PM

866 posts, read 933,191 times
My household which contains 2 adults is budgeted at $100.00 for each of us...that includes everything,TP, shampoo, laundry soap,toothpaste,deodorant, as well as food. Does NOT include S.O.'s beer, however.

This month that amount has increased due to the special foods that we're
getting to celebrate the holidays with...not sure how much extra we've spent,do know my cash stash has been depleted almost entirely...

Bak to beans & cornbread come January...

Old 12-31-2011, 01:49 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,581,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
3 adults with many frequent guests, our grocery bill averages around $700 per month. This includes non food items. We use coupons and also buy some items in bulk. This is by far our largest monthly bill and has been for years.
Exact same here. My family needs to cut down.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 AM

191 posts, read 398,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvroman View Post
I spend around 60-90 dollars on groceries monthly for two people. I shop smart at Aldi's, I don't buy ready made meals- it is a lot easier this way to save money and make great food for very cheap. Sometimes I even make my own bread, but I really do not know if that is cheaper because it uses a lot of flour. If you just buy basic ingredients and spices you can make so many different delicious meals even on an extremely tight budget.
I would agree, I just started learning how to cook and I have realized that A LOT of foods that you eat and the ingredients that you put in it can be homemade. Like I needed fajita seasoning the other night for a recipe, I could make that myself because I already had all of the spices at home, who needs to buy the convenience foods when you can make it from scratch?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM

191 posts, read 398,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
About 700-800 for 2.5 people (2 adults and a 4yr old) We are horrible shoppers. Generally forget list, never have meal plans in mind, don't use coupons (generally bulk of what we buy doesnt have coupons such as meat, fish, fruits and veggies)
I feel the same way you feel, my husband and I spent around $200-250 a month and I feel like that is a lot(Gosh $700, I bet you guys really eat well ). Anyway, sometimes we forget lists or sometimes we will go to the store because we were "in the neighborhood." And coupons are out of the picture, which works at my disadvantage because I am super frugal and my husband LOVES to spend money .

Old 04-06-2015, 01:51 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I think I spend about $250-300 for one person (me) in a month. This might include some toiletry items or might not. I've spent as little $100/month and as much as $500 - both rarely - maybe once a year.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
On top of my basic housing and utility bills which come out to about $1200 including some extra put down on principal on the mortgage every month -

In an average month I spend between $600 and $800 on everything else which includes groceries and eating out - food is probably about 35-40% of that total in the mid 200s to low 300s somewhere, and at least 1/3rd of that is eating lunches out. Even Subway, etc... adds up.

I can cut that significantly by curtailing my eating out. Even splurging at the grocery store is considerably cheaper than eating out just twice a week. I don't pay real close attention to my grocery bill or clip coupons... I do have a sequence for hitting the grocery stores when I shop, b/c I know who's generally cheaper for what - typically hit Kroger OR Safeway, a discount grocery, then Wal-Mart for anything left over. I could probably save another $75 a month more carefully shopping but who has the time to watch the ads/coupons?

When I overspend and check my statements - yup, it's always restaurants/breweries/bars. 2 beers and 1 burger over the course of a game later and I'm out $35 which would have fed me at home for at least 3 days and maybe 5-7. That's actually why I bought cable because I love sports and was spending a ton going out to watch games, even though most people consider cable a #1 thing to cut.

Last edited by redguard57; 04-06-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,268,412 times
maybe around $200 for the Wife & I....another $120 for the pup (Yorkie), he's on a Prescription Diet as per the Vet

Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
We recently decided to give ourselves a food budget of $125-175 per week for five people. We spent extra last week for the Easter meal and fun filled baskets. At an average of $150 per week, we are spending roughly around $130 per person. I do have a huge pantry full of non-perishables and the kids and dh do not eat lunch at home. We are eating out about five times a month as a family. Obviously, we could cut back on food costs a lot more if we wanted by cooking everything at home, making everything from scratch, eating only foods that have been purchased on sale, or eating less expensive meals. I find our evening meals are averaging around $10 per meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living