U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 05:39 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times

Advertisements

Im averaging still around $75/week. Mainly due to premium coffee purchases (on occasion) and things like clementines, which can be pricey, and good cuts of meat for stews and such earlier in the year (comfort food for winter).

Planning on cutting back on the meat& coffee intake, so figure costs might get lower over summer....
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 PM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times
So, how to people eat on $100 a MONTH? There's my wife and I and we spend $400 to $500 a month on groceries. We don't eat a lot either. Food is expensive.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:06 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
Quote:

Food is expensive.
Especially if you buy a lot of fruit and vegtables. Even the non-organic stuff is pricey. I've been using Aldi to try to keep the costs down a bit, but they don't have everything.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
So, how to people eat on $100 a MONTH? There's my wife and I and we spend $400 to $500 a month on groceries. We don't eat a lot either. Food is expensive.
Carbs. Cheap carbs. Combined with other dried & canned foods that don't go bad or take at least a week or more go bad. Pasta or rice paired with canned or frozen veggies. Chicken thighs/legs can be had pretty cheaply so if you want to add meat, can do that. Bread, particularly breads that come in dry mixes that you can make, ie: cornbread, although loaves of bread can also be had cheap in the day old section or cheap brands. Potatoes. Rice. Pasta. Lots of that.

If it meets these criteria you can live on ~$20 a week: 1) can buy it cheaply and in bulk, 2) when prepared it will fill you up for 2 meals or more, 3) can be stored or frozen for long periods (preferably a month).

Produce is expensive. I avoid all "organic" branded stuff because it's usually more expensive. Still, it's hard for me to eat healthy and get through the month with less than $200 spent on food, usually closer to $300. As someone said, daily healthy prepared meals cost in the $5-10 per person per day range.

This is the reason poorer Americans are so fat and the rich are in good shape. If you're very careful, you can eat somewhat healthy and cheap -- the slow cooker comes in really handy for that and some vegetables aren't that expensive, but it takes time. I really don't see how you could get out for less than $35 a week though if you're regularly buying fresh fruits & veggies and certainly not meats.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 PM

5,472 posts, read 8,162,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
. I really don't see how you could get out for less than $35 a week though if you're regularly buying fresh fruits & veggies and certainly not meats.
You don't buy them.

I can keep myself in lettuce using a pair of dollar store trays on the counter.

$0.50 pack of seeds will do about 2 years.

Pack of cuke seeds will make all I can eat, give away bags, and make jars of pickles.
(takes just a few square feet to do this. I've done it off bag gardens)

Meats:
.22's are still pretty cheap.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:55 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

As someone said, daily healthy prepared meals cost in the $5-10 per person per day range.
Our evening meal for everyone usually ranges around $10 which comes out to $2 per person. I don't think we ever make a $5 per person meal, but if we eat start snacking around or buy pre-made snacks or desserts, the costs for the day go higher.

Thursday night is soup night at my house. Last Thursday, we had a bean type soup. I used frozen purple hull peas because I like them and I don't have to let them sit for hours. You could use dried beans for a less expensive option.

$6 - 1.5 lb frozen purple hull peas
$2 - 1/4 lb bacon
$1 - onion
<$1 - rice
$.25 - 5 chicken bullion cubes and pepper
--------------------------------------------
~$10 for bean soup

Stir fry was another meal. I have different variations and ways I make it. This was from last Friday.

Costco has a packaged stir fry kit with fresh cut kale and other veggies and ginger sauce in the produce cooler. I can't find my receipt, but I believe this cost $5 and has a huge bag for two meals. I use both parts of the meal for our family meal I appreciate not having to cut the veggies myself. I dress it up with my additions to give it more flavor.

$5 - Stir fry kit with veggies and ginger sauce
$1 - onion
~$.25 - garlic cloves
$2 - 1 lb chicken
~$.25 garlic salt
~$.25 soy sauce
<$1 - rice
------------------------------------------
~10 for stir fry

Pork loin goes on sale pretty regularly. The kids requested green bean casserole.
$5 - 2.5 lbs pork loin
<$.50 spices
$1 - two cans green beans (stock up when on sale)
$.50 - cream of mushroom soup (stock up when on sale)
$.50 - milk
$3 - crispy onion things
$3 - homemade bread or rolls
------------------------------------
$13 for total meal, but could be less expensive if we had kept the vegetable simpler or used other sides.

Tonight is soup night. Having chicken noodle soup.

$2 - 1 lb chicken.
$2 - carrots
$.50 - celery
$1 - onion
~$.50 seasoning TBD
~$1 for canned chicken broth if I don't have any frozen left over from a different meal in the freezer.
$1 bag egg noodles.
$.25 garlic cloves
---------------------------------------------
~$6 for chicken noodle soup.

May also have banana bread to go with it using the overripe bananas if I get industrious.

We sometimes have meals where we go over $10 particularly if it we crave a beef roast or grilled hamburgers. I don't mind doing that if the other meals are in check.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:20 PM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times
So basically, no one eats beef, steak, or pork ribs, or bacon? No Pizza? No Blue Bell ice cream? Nope, just can't do it.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 AM

5,472 posts, read 8,162,916 times
Quote:
So basically, no one eats beef, steak, or pork ribs, or bacon? No Pizza? No Blue Bell ice cream? Nope, just can't do it.
I eat all those. (I also don't live on $100/month.)

Old 04-10-2015, 06:21 AM

15,565 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Pizza is fairly cheap if you make it at home. We managed to eat it regularly during our Lenten food stamp challenge. I made the dough from scratch, and we topped it with leftover veg.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Quote:
We eat that stuff too. My earlier examples were just what I could think of off the top of my head. Beef has gotten extremely pricey lately so haven't bought it as much.

We're finding recently that Costco bacon is the best for us in terms of price and taste. I threw away my receipts for that so don't have the price.

Blue Bell ice cream ranges from $4.44 to $6.99 per half gallon. It's expensive, but they have kept the half gallon size unlike other manufacturers who keep shrinking the packaging. IMO, Bluebell tastes the best because they use quality ingredients. I hope they figure out what is causing the listeria problem. We toured that factory a few years back. It was very clean.

I usually get pizza when we have friends over or a babysitter. Haven't done that much lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living