Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 03:08 PM

156 posts, read 436,883 times

Advertisements

I figured someone here might have a good solution to this problem.

I want to give my Grandfather a gift card to Taco Bell, but I don't want to actually get him a gift card. I'd like to make a certificate and just pay for his meals when I visit him. He always sends me out to pick up a meal since he can't get out himself. The only reason I don't want to buy him a gift card is because I don't want other family members using it on themselves. My grandfather always insists on paying for everyone elses meals. So if I make a certificate, then I can pay for his meal without worrying about others using it. I hope that made sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a certificate without it coming across as confusing? I was thinking about making something that specifies a certain amount of meals. His and grandma's meals usually come to $6.60 + tax, so I was thinking about doing four meals (four for each of them). Then everytime I pay, I could just mark it off on the certificate. I just don't want it to be confusing to him or come across as weird or even cheap. There's really nothing else to give him as he doesn't have long to live and isn't doing much anymore. He's barely eating, but he still loves his fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 03:35 PM

22,331 posts, read 47,280,769 times
Just write a letter telling him that when you visit the meals will be on you.
No need to get complicated.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,078,825 times
Making the coupons should be easy enough if you know how to cut and paste, copy a Taco Bell logo or have any drawing ability. (Personally, I'd have to skip the attempt at drawing. LOL

IMHO, I would not put a price on the coupons. I would just mention that the coupon is for a meal/a specific food. Apparently, they don't eat much anyway, so it isn't like they will use a coupon to order $100 worth of tacos.

If you wanted it to look "authentic", you could put an expiration date of December 31, 2020 (for example). You could add UPC lines, and pictures of tacos, burritos and drinks.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,642,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Making the coupons should be easy enough if you know how to cut and paste, copy a Taco Bell logo or have any drawing ability. (Personally, I'd have to skip the attempt at drawing. LOL

IMHO, I would not put a price on the coupons. I would just mention that the coupon is for a meal/a specific food. Apparently, they don't eat much anyway, so it isn't like they will use a coupon to order $100 worth of tacos.

If you wanted it to look "authentic", you could put an expiration date of December 31, 2020 (for example). You could add UPC lines, and pictures of tacos, burritos and drinks.
This is what I would do. Make, say, 12 coupons, each for one meal for two people, then staple them into a little booklet.

You can get publishing apps for either mac or windows that are free or cheap to make this easier. In fact, a lot of photo library apps have this capability too.

And, BTW, you're a good grandkid!

Old 12-23-2015, 04:06 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,239,790 times
They are right. If you have office with publisher you can pull up certificates or tickets & "Just Do It"

Not being sarcastic, I had to make many certificates & pamphlet' s in my work. It's really fun when you start doing it.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:36 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,015,682 times
I would not put a price on it either, just say something like "This certificate is good for a lunch on me when I next visit you."

I made a card that is good for a year and just pay for their lunch for all year when you visit. Give one card to grandma and another to grandpa.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 AM

14,412 posts, read 20,486,044 times
Christmas is over so maybe you already finished the project. Various Taco Bell images on Google images and MSN Paint and other "free" programs can help you create and print some certificates.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:06 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,078,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Christmas is over so maybe you already finished the project. Various Taco Bell images on Google images and MSN Paint and other "free" programs can help you create and print some certificates.
Your post is still useful for anyone who wants to do this for any occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living