Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:48 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed when I read answers to the OP. I am at $400 on average per month for one person.

Please note though - I rarely eat out or even buy coffee out. It includes all snacks, drinks, etc for work as well as lunch.

Doesn't matter how careful I am - it is $350 in a good month, $450 in a high month (when I've run out of everything).

And regionally costs really do differ. I'm in a high area. NYC grocery prices didnt shock me at all and I live 200 miles south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 01:09 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
A few months ago I started on a budget of much less, self imposed just to save more money, I used to always just buy whatever I wanted, for groceries, cat food, paper products etc. I have been able to stick to it but this month I am finding there are some deals for things I use frequently and if I buy them I will go over my budget. I almost feel bad buying these things and stocking up when I know I will go over budget. Kind of nuts. I then think I will just deduct it from the next month's amount. I'm generally not an OCD type but haven't quite figured out how to handle this.

What do you do if this happens? Buy the stuff and stock up and just go over budget for the month or let the deals go?

Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
At one point I was spending about $2,000 a month, 2 adults and 8 kids.

Currently...hmmm...about 600 for 2 adults, and a teenager. And he is talking about moving out next month.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
that's for 10 people, averages to $200 a person a month.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
A few months ago I started on a budget of much less, self imposed just to save more money, I used to always just buy whatever I wanted, for groceries, cat food, paper products etc. I have been able to stick to it but this month I am finding there are some deals for things I use frequently and if I buy them I will go over my budget. I almost feel bad buying these things and stocking up when I know I will go over budget. Kind of nuts. I then think I will just deduct it from the next month's amount. I'm generally not an OCD type but haven't quite figured out how to handle this.

What do you do if this happens? Buy the stuff and stock up and just go over budget for the month or let the deals go?
If it's a self imposed budget, then by all means, get the stuff (if it will store well) on sale and then just deduct the amount from your next month's budget for the items as if you would have bought them then. We always buy a case of whatever it is if it is on sale, will store well and we will use it.

Our monthly average is about $300 for two, but we live in a really high cost of living area. Milk runs a minimum of $5 per gallon. Cheap bread is $3 a loaf (although we generally make our own), 5# potatoes is about $5, eggs are about $4 per dozen or more. But we eat grass fed beef (bought directly from the rancher in 100# lots), organic eggs (from my friend's yard, although I pay her for the eggs or swap veggies for eggs), loads of fresh veggies (year round garden), assorted citrus and fruits and there's usually about two take out pizzas a month. We also get bulk foods from a food co-op and do lots of scratch cooking. There's still pork in the freezer from that pig that was digging up my friend's garden. Fish are in the ocean when we want them. But, all this just augments our food bill, we still buy groceries at the local grocery.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If it's a self imposed budget, then by all means, get the stuff (if it will store well) on sale and then just deduct the amount from your next month's budget for the items as if you would have bought them then. We always buy a case of whatever it is if it is on sale, will store well and we will use it.

Our monthly average is about $300 for two, but we live in a really high cost of living area. Milk runs a minimum of $5 per gallon. Cheap bread is $3 a loaf (although we generally make our own), 5# potatoes is about $5, eggs are about $4 per dozen or more. But we eat grass fed beef (bought directly from the rancher in 100# lots), organic eggs (from my friend's yard, although I pay her for the eggs or swap veggies for eggs), loads of fresh veggies (year round garden), assorted citrus and fruits and there's usually about two take out pizzas a month. We also get bulk foods from a food co-op and do lots of scratch cooking. There's still pork in the freezer from that pig that was digging up my friend's garden. Fish are in the ocean when we want them. But, all this just augments our food bill, we still buy groceries at the local grocery.

Actually, I did go ahead and just buy the stuff. It only turned out to be 59.00 extra, so not bad. Some I can store, some perishable as I want to make ratatouille. Gee, I usual spend 300.00 for me, my cats and bird and squirrel food. You do well for 2 people.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
If we added in pet and livestock feed, well, then the amount would be significantly more. Ratatouille sounds lovely! It's a fairly frugal sort of meal, isn't it?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If we added in pet and livestock feed, well, then the amount would be significantly more. Ratatouille sounds lovely! It's a fairly frugal sort of meal, isn't it?

Yes, it is and I make a ton of it. Eat it cold or hot, eat it alone, add pasta or sausage... however! Eggplant, zuc, peppers, onions all were on sale. Mushrooms only one at reg. price

Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
sadly my wife does not understand the word "budget". Today she spent $200.00 for a family of 3. She then promised we won't go out to eat this week.

Well see...

Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
About $400 per month for 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living