U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,096 posts, read 1,830,969 times

Advertisements

I know it's early in the year, but frugal living requires planning...so do you have a plan for the gift giving holidays yet?

For years now (as everyone is getting older, and don't need stuff) I have shifted to food gifts. I have tried to use things that I have grown and harested here. I've done pasta, a dessert a month, things that you make in a mug, spice/season mixes, ice cream sundae kits...I don't know what I will do this year. I'm thinking of making totes to "wrap" them in this year.

As far as the meal goes, we usually decide when it gets closer as to what this years menu will be.

Have any of you thought about, or have started preparing for this years holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,461,822 times
I cheat. Not necessary.

The parents take up the Jewish way (no gofts involved) and we're all just happy to make it to the next get-together.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,961,982 times
I like to create gifts that are thoughtful and are something that I know the person likes, no matter what my "budget" is for that year. For instance I will pair a gift certificate to the local community theatre with a small but excellent quality box of candy, or an orchid and nice card. A new deck of cards and a jar of change for the poker playing friend, exotic BBQ spices for the grill cook, thing like that. Small inexpensive items together in a pretty tin or basket that can also be used later by the person. Makes the "shopping" almost as fun as being the recipient!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,824,676 times
We're nearly done for Christmas this year. I have some little things to get still and plan on making some rice heat packs for a few folks and I need something personal for my SIL. We shop for bargain items throughout the year so are usually done early. This was a very good year, we have almost everything already.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 PM

10 posts, read 22,957 times
I need to work harder on shopping throughout the year for gifts. For some reason that is really hard for me. Last year I made homemade dinner napkins from fabric store remnants. They were the most positively received gifts I've ever given. Now I have to figure out how to top that!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,314 times
Default Frugal holidays

I have ideas and suggestions for celebrating frugal holidays: decorating, recipes, and holiday budgeting on my website, <a
href="http://www.frugal-living-now.com/frugal-holidays.html">Frugal Living Now</a>
I welcome input of more ideas to add to my site!

Last edited by hollylu; 07-09-2009 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: left link out

Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,465,743 times
I look for wrapping paper/decoration deals all year, and don't have to buy any at the holiday when they are expensive. Now, in July, is a great time to check out thrifts and yard sales for the stuff, people are giving it away!

Christmas stuff makes nice gifts too, add pictures to holiday frames, fill decoritive bowls/continers with food, customize items, whatever

Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times
We celebrate Christmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and all the other "Buy Crap Nobody Needs" holidays in the most frugal way possible.

We just ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living