U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 22,957 times

Advertisements

I believe it's foolish to pay less without shopping around and doing research to determine that what you're paying less for is actually of equal or similar quality to other items/services on the market. Sometimes you can actually find a much better deal on something, but sometimes you're being offered a much lower-quality product/service for that cheap price.

My loving boyfriend has not figured this one out yet. He's far too willing to accept the crap he sometimes gets for that low price. Makes me mental!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:56 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
I don't believe in paying huge markups on anything, EVER!

And paying full price does not guarantee better quality.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:56 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,933,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanne View Post
I believe it's foolish to pay less without shopping around and doing research to determine that what you're paying less for is actually of equal or similar quality to other items/services on the market. Sometimes you can actually find a much better deal on something, but sometimes you're being offered a much lower-quality product/service for that cheap price.

My loving boyfriend has not figured this one out yet. He's far too willing to accept the crap he sometimes gets for that low price. Makes me mental!
You are spot on about doing research. My husband is actually very good at researching "big ticket" items and this is one area where he will pay more if he knows he's getting a far superior product. Equally there are occasions when a cheaper product has been found to outperform a more expensive one.

If we are taking a vacation we ALWAYS research accommodation on TripAdvisor - often the best places to stay are NOT the most expensive.

Taking the time to do some research can bring big rewards.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 22,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
If we are taking a vacation we ALWAYS research accommodation on TripAdvisor - often the best places to stay are NOT the most expensive.
We just got back from Florence. We stayed in a little hotel that was recommended by a poster on another forum. The price sounded almost too good to be true, so I checked it out on Tripadvisor (as well as on other travel review sites), and it truly did get overwhelmingly positive reviews. It was a great, great place, so this was one research project that got us a great accommodation for a great price!

Just don't ask me about the "great deal" my boyfriend got me on a bumper repair on my car. That one did not end well!

Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Its not smart to pay less.
So...
if three stores are selling your favorite brand of jeans, and store#1 has them for $35, store#2 has them for $45 and store#3 has them for $60, where will you buy them?

It's not smart to pay more than $35!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:27 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
No. There are certain floor prices for quality, but often you won't see that...people try and make sure no one knows what the true price of anything is. I know shopping for computer products I've been pretty stumped, some are really good...some are the same products you find elsewhere with a brand sticker on it and price raised by 4x.

I just say find quality and check out the price history. I know Timbuk2 is beyond great for their bags, but rarely go on sale because they price at margin. Eddie Bower has been good, and I would get their clothes only on sale.

It's really hard to figure out honestly, but I know I will pay more for quality...not obscenely more but reasonably.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,295,912 times
Yes I do, in most things. My mom always says that a poor person cannot afford to buy cheap stuff. She, of course, only pretends to be poor, lol. But nevertheless, I've thought about it and she is right.. We bought all new Ikea furniture when we got married a few years ago. Now most of it is broken. Should've spent a few thousand dollars more and get quality furniture that will last for decades.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 PM

420 posts, read 297,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So...
if three stores are selling your favorite brand of jeans, and store#1 has them for $35, store#2 has them for $45 and store#3 has them for $60, where will you buy them?

It's not smart to pay more than $35!
I'll pay the $45 at store 2. I wouldn't be seen as a "price hawker" nor would I been seen as a "pay it, no matter what" type.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,933,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
I'll pay the $45 at store 2. I wouldn't be seen as a "price hawker" nor would I been seen as a "pay it, no matter what" type.
I call BS

Last edited by London Girl; 06-26-2009 at 01:36 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 01:48 AM

420 posts, read 297,127 times
You buy the cheap product, doesn't mean that I will.

I mean, come on, I have to spend the money I have, and its a lot, so buying cheap things will take me longer to spend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living