U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:12 AM

173 posts, read 436,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".
Hell no, just because you pay less for something does not automatically make it inferior. Sometimes, you might have just found a much better price on a quality product than some places offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Craig121 wrote:
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".
We tend to get get whatever we expect. I expect a good deal on a good quality item, and that is what I usually ( but not always ) get. Ocassionally I get sucker punched. Read #30 for details.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:24 AM

929 posts, read 1,823,735 times
No, I don't believe it. I have purchased pants at Target that lasted longer than a more expensive pair of pants at J.C. Penney's. Price has very little to do with quality, and more to do with what is the fad of the times. What is smart, is to always get a deal on your purchase. Don't pay more than it is worth to you, not the store.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 AM

420 posts, read 297,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
If you can't afford it, you can't afford it.
Then I'll find a way to get it. The money, I mean. People like me can't afford to steal, its bad for my future plans.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,933,468 times
Quote:
Then I'll find a way to get it. The money, I mean. People like me can't afford to steal, its bad for my future plans.

Sounds like this could be for you:
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone Believe This Statement?-ferr.jpg  

Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 AM

420 posts, read 297,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Sounds like this could be for you:
Why make fun of me? Is it because I plan to get something big out of life?

Or is it because you have no aspirations to better yourself and you hate it when others try to better themselves?

Look, sister, you can have anything you want, but if your too morally or ethically inclined, then you stay with the masses and shuffle to work and be unhappy breaking your balls for a job that you may hate.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:11 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,933,468 times
Quote:
Why make fun of me? Is it because I plan to get something big out of life?

Or is it because you have no aspirations to better yourself and you hate it when others try to better themselves?

Look, sister, you can have anything you want, but if your too morally or ethically inclined, then you stay with the masses and shuffle to work and be unhappy breaking your balls for a job that you may hate.
Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed today.

I'm very happy thanks very much

I travel extensively, live in a beautiful house with my fabulous husband and have a great life

I left the rat race in London (and the UK) years ago and haven't regretted it once

Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
The price of something is frequently not tied to it's quality and a lot of this is only good for retail shopping anyway. When you play the money game, there will always be someone who has more or bigger or better if you all use the same value systems. Is this the "whoever dies with the most toys wins" game? A lot of folks get sucked into that one.

Follow the advice from my mechanic friend, "Get what you like, you can fix everything else." I suspect in this case knowing what you personally like may be difficult since it seems your value system may have been set in place by other folks. There was a bunch of cars touring through our town today, fancy corvettes, old '55 Chevys, muscle cars, etc. Of all of them, I think I liked the touring model A the best although it wasn't the most expensive or the fastest or even the shiniest. It just looked like a fun way to travel with friends. So, get what you like, you can fix everything else.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:07 AM

735 posts, read 1,412,482 times
The best deal gets you the most product for your dollar. A Craftsman wrench will certainly cost a lot more than one at Walmart, but I bet it will be a lot more durable too. If you only need it to put together some shelves in your home, maybe you can get buy with the cheap one, but if you are using it everyday to take repair machinery, you might might to pay more for the better one.

The generic chips and sodas at the market cost about 2/3 the price of the popular brands, but most of those are substandard in taste, so in that case, you are definitely getting what you pay for.

One the other hand, I was shopping for an item one day and at most stores, I saw the small for $40 and up and the large for $55 and up. The last place I checked sold me a large for $30.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:16 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,037,515 times
When it comes to buying things cheaply...say clothing at walmart...the quality of the clothes is no different then say if you bought it at macy's...

However...the level of quality is based on the price of the clothing...the cheaper it is the less amount of care that is put into it.

So in all aspects..if you buy an item new, just off the store shelf and it has never been used...then you got your money's worth. If you bought that same item used for a considerably lower price say on clearance, or in a yard sale or thrift store then yes...do not expect it to last that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living