U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM

420 posts, read 298,927 times

Advertisements

Hey people, would you expect to buy a Ferrari if you paid forward 10,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,492,187 times
responding to this comment: ...you often get what you pay for...

Fat Freddy wrote: But more often you don't.

If you mean that you are left feeling disappointed by the poor quality of a high priced item, then I agree with you. More often than not I feel ripped off at the shoddy quality of a pricy item

Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 AM

16,755 posts, read 18,995,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".
True in some cases and not true in others... product dependent...

Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,925,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
It was used, and a 500 cc. I use it for commuting, not for twisties at the track or as a vanity symbol. Comparing two standards (one HD and one Kawasaki let's say) with similar stats, the Kawasaki comes out on top as economical almost always. They were built to be economical. Harleys were built to be big, bad, and sexy (I definitely have a respect for the vanity of the bike). They have one or two bikes that I would consider "economical" (under 7K new and 150 cc +, at least 40 MPG, cheap repair costs, cheap to insure... something that won't put huge dents in the budget after buying it). The Japanese bikes like Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha end up being more economical over the life of the bike. It's the same reason why Honda cars tend to cost less than GM over their lifespan: Japan is an island nation with ~128 million people crammed on it with very limited resources. They have to import most of their raw materials for manufacturing, and petroleum is expensive! Of course they have to make these machines efficient. In America, we have the luxury of having vast amounts of resources, so we can afford to be "flashy" and build stuff that may cost more over time. However, now that prices are catching up to us, we're finding flashy to not be good on the wallet.
Okay, so again, tell me how comparing a used 500c motorcycle to a new top-of-the line model that would command $20,000 or more is a fair comparison.

I ride a 1200 Harley Sportster Custom that I paid $10,500 for brand new 5 years ago. It gets over 50 mpg and has excellent performance. A used one with low mileage could be purchased today for $5000 to $7000. My friend purchased a used 2001 883 Custom model with 3000 miles for $3200. It gets 60 mpg and he has put over 12,000 miles on it since he purchased it with little more than regular maintenance items such as a new set of tires, and oil changes.

An even better comparison to your bike would be a Buell Blast that has a 492 cc displacement. The Buell Blast is fuel-injected and get 64/73 mpg. They retail new for $4795 and sell for less with sales and incentives. You could easily find a used one for $2100 or less.

As far as your Kia and Hyundai comparisons go. Kia continues to make it's share of junk and Hyundai only recently moved up into a higher level of quality and not until they started making them here in the U.S.

BTW, my other friend had a Honda Shadow 700 cc and it was insufficient to use at highway speeds. In contrast, my other friends 883 is more than capable. The foreign bikes often have superior horsepower per cc in comparison to Buells and Harleys but they are no match for torque which is much more valuable in the real world. The foreign bikes also generally generate their horsepower at higher rpms which is quite annoying when riding in traffic.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:39 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,913,559 times
I will only say I will never again
buy a DVD player for $39.95 from wal mart... JUNK...went thru three of them in three months...sure they replaced them, but I had to fight them on the third one..We up graded after that and it is still working after about four years.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,547,854 times
I think a lot of times you do get what you pay for..penny wise and pound foolish. That cheap import might be the right price today, but when it breaks you won't be paying that.

That said, I will pay more for customer service, every time. I get my car fixed at the dealer, and I know they'll do it right. The base charges are a bit more, but they'll always toss in a freebie or two. Right now I'm shopping for a new car, and though some other brands have better price or reputation, the dealer I've been going to for six years knows me by name and never pushes me. They also tell me the shortcomings, instead of trying to trick me into buying.

I'd rather be a happy customer for life, paying a bit more and keeping people in work rather than paying bottom dollar WalMart price for subpar service and products and sending my money overseas. But that's just me.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM

392 posts, read 1,685,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
BTW, my other friend had a Honda Shadow 700 cc and it was insufficient to use at highway speeds. In contrast, my other friends 883 is more than capable. The foreign bikes often have superior horsepower per cc in comparison to Buells and Harleys but they are no match for torque which is much more valuable in the real world. The foreign bikes also generally generate their horsepower at higher rpms which is quite annoying when riding in traffic.
Really????????? My 650 Honda is more than capable in traffic. I commute on the highway year round and tour on it. I regularly pass Harleys, the other day I stopped to help a guy with one that was broke down.
If you like them, great, but please spare us trying to justify the cost over a metric.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 AM

11,452 posts, read 19,521,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".
It totally depends.

If I go to Wallyworld and see a pair of Levi's 501 jeans for 25 bucks, and then go to Sears and see a pair of Levi's 501 jeans for 35 bucks and then go to Macy's and see a pair of Levi's 501 jeans for 45 bucks I would buy them at WalMart because I expect Levi's 501 jeans to be Levi's 501 jeans. Buy them at the best price possible.

BUT -- and I can talk about this, since I quilt -- let's use fabric as a generic thing. At Wallyworld, a yard of fabric can run me 3 bucks. At JoAnnes -- 5 bucks. At my Local Quilt Store -- 8-10 bucks.

No doubt about it -- I'm not going to waste my time on cheap fabric. It does make a difference.

But I learned a long time ago, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about me. Frankly, most people I know are so incredibly messed up, I'm the LEAST of their problems!

Last edited by Tallysmom; 07-06-2009 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: because I can't type!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,290,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Oftentimes, paying less is the result of a capable negotiator.

Let's say two people buy the exact same car. The first person falls for the no hassle gimmick and pays the full sticker price of $30,000, while the second person sees the no hassle gimmick for what it is, and offers $29,000 which the so-called no hassle dealer accepts. They both got the same car, but the smart consumer paid $1000 less.
Exactly!

I don't believe in buying inferior products if you can help it, but I'm a firm believer in buying the same products for less!

You know what’s funny… Once I walked into some obscure (no chain) grocery store in a poor neighborhood that was supposed to be cheap. It was full of all kinds of off-brands I’d never heard of. And you know what? If you shopped there, you’d spend the same amount of money (if not more!) you would shopping in a regular grocery store the smart way. Same goes for food shopping at Wal-Mart. I don’t get why people do that. Granted, Wal-Mart's regular prices are a little lower than other stores', but if you take advantage of sales and plan and think ahead, you’d do perfectly OK without having to set foot there ever.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,469,724 times
[quote=Craig121;9456111]"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".[/quote

I do not agree with that statement at all...It all depends in your shopping skills...

For instance lets say you get a flyer from your Favorite Grocery store and in that Flyer it says you can get a Galllon of Cooking Corn oil for a Special Price of $6.95..and you say WOW..that is a real good price so you go to the store and get your gallon of oil and do not bother to look at the other Gallons of Oils in the same isle.

I go behind you and check every single Gallon of Cooking Corn oils and get one for $4.95

I am not buying a incomplete product, is not a broken product or a wrong product ...
Is just a shopping skill...you need to check out everything on that Isle before you buy the one you thought you were getting a Great Special price on.

Another instance do you all know..That the smaller the package the more the store makes on you?

If you use lets say a lot of Rice during the month...why go to a grocery store and buy a pound of rice every day?? if you multiply that 1 lb of rice lets say here in Broward a 1 pound bag of rice costs $1.29 multiply that 1 lb of rice by 30= $38.70

You can in some places buy a 20lb bag of rice for as low as $13.35 or less

So $38.70
-----------------
$25.35 SAVINGS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living