U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,792,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
Another instance do you all know..That the smaller the package the more the store makes on you?
Sometimes! You have to check the cost per unit. Is the 16 ounce at 2.99 cheaper than the 10 ounce at 1.85?

I just wish they didn't make the cost per unit stickers so darn small for my old eyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:24 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,499,096 times
I've often wondered how you can save $200 by buying something on sale. If you buy something on sale for $1000, you've just SPENT $1000, whereas if you don't buy it at the full price of $1200, you've spent nothing!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:40 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,323,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I've often wondered how you can save $200 by buying something on sale. If you buy something on sale for $1000, you've just SPENT $1000, whereas if you don't buy it at the full price of $1200, you've spent nothing!
Yeah, it's like: Yey, it's 60% OFF! Yet it's still 40% ON!

Joking aside, it all depends on whether you really need it. Should you need it, of course it's a good deal.

For instance, this year I really was planning on shaping up my house and it would've been a great year to do that. Unfortunately, some outrageous dental bills took away the money allocated for these purposes. I could've dipped into savings, but didn't want to do it considering the times... Now I'm thinking it might turn out to be a mistake as I passed on some unheard of prices in order to stick to my guns.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 PM

5,359 posts, read 4,838,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
I do not agree with that statement at all...It all depends in your shopping skills...

For instance lets say you get a flyer from your Favorite Grocery store and in that Flyer it says you can get a Galllon of Cooking Corn oil for a Special Price of $6.95..and you say WOW..that is a real good price so you go to the store and get your gallon of oil and do not bother to look at the other Gallons of Oils in the same isle.

I go behind you and check every single Gallon of Cooking Corn oils and get one for $4.95

I am not buying a incomplete product, is not a broken product or a wrong product ...
Is just a shopping skill...you need to check out everything on that Isle before you buy the one you thought you were getting a Great Special price on.

Another instance do you all know..That the smaller the package the more the store makes on you?

If you use lets say a lot of Rice during the month...why go to a grocery store and buy a pound of rice every day?? if you multiply that 1 lb of rice lets say here in Broward a 1 pound bag of rice costs $1.29 multiply that 1 lb of rice by 30= $38.70

You can in some places buy a 20lb bag of rice for as low as $13.35 or less

So $38.70
-----------------
$25.35 SAVINGS
I may be wrong but I don't think Craig had cooking oil, rice, etc., on his mind when he posted that comment. I'm not discounting anything else in your post since it is a good post on comparison shopping, which some people don't do, either by not bothering or not knowing. If a person does take the time to comparison shop for groceries they can quite often find great bargains, as you've shown.

But, it's other things that may be "incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product". Like tv's, washer/dryers, toaster oven, blenders, lawn products such as mowers, weeders, edgers, etc., etc., etc.

Like I had posted earlier, discount places like Wal Mart have many things that are specifically made for them. If you plan on purchasing a tv for example, you can go to Best Buy and find a Toshiba that you like. You write down the model number, etc., and decide to try and find it somewhere else cheaper. So you end up at Wal Mart and you see the exact same Toshiba tv for a cheaper amount, except, the model number is different. Everything about the tv matches up to the one from Best Buy, except the numbers and the price.

Wal Mart can sell that product cheaper than Best Buy since it was made for Wal Mart and it had been made to sell cheaper, from using cheaper parts than what was used to make the tv that Best Buy was selling.

If you buy the tv from Wal Mart you may get lucky, the tv may last the normal lifespan and you would have gotten a really get a deal. But, being made with cheaper products it will be a crap shoot if you get a good one.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 PM

190 posts, read 607,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Exactly!

I don't believe in buying inferior products if you can help it, but I'm a firm believer in buying the same products for less!

You know what’s funny… Once I walked into some obscure (no chain) grocery store in a poor neighborhood that was supposed to be cheap. It was full of all kinds of off-brands I’d never heard of. And you know what? If you shopped there, you’d spend the same amount of money (if not more!) you would shopping in a regular grocery store the smart way. Same goes for food shopping at Wal-Mart. I don’t get why people do that. Granted, Wal-Mart's regular prices are a little lower than other stores', but if you take advantage of sales and plan and think ahead, you’d do perfectly OK without having to set foot there ever.
I don't know about your "poor" neighborhood but in the inner city poor neighborhoods I know the big big grocery chains don't have stores. The only local option is small chains or independents. When your $$ and transportation are limited you shop what you have.
Shopping at Walmart..... I can't explain

Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 AM

42,837 posts, read 77,323,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
I don't know about your "poor" neighborhood but in the inner city poor neighborhoods I know the big big grocery chains don't have stores.
Now that I think about it, you're right... Some Mexican chain is coming here from CA and everybody around its location (carefully chosen obviously) is very excited about it. It's true - the mainstream chains tend to have stores on the periphery, but not really deep inside such neighborhoods.

I didn't word my post well. The store I was talking about wasn't in a large and distinctly poor part of town. It was just in a so-and-so area in which all other chains have stores as well, so it's not like there is no choice.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM

929 posts, read 1,830,085 times
The price of clothing has more to do with what is in fashion than anything to do with quality.

I have some clothes that I have purchased used that have lasted longer than some items purchased new.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 AM

315 posts, read 827,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I will only say I will never again
buy a DVD player for $39.95 from wal mart... JUNK...went thru three of them in three months...sure they replaced them, but I had to fight them on the third one..We up graded after that and it is still working after about four years.
I agree with you on the cheap DVD players. I bought one for my sons playroom and by the fourth one I finally spent more money to get a decent one. Bought one from all the stores, target, bestbuy and walmart. Have not had any problems yet.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 AM

26,589 posts, read 53,132,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".
I think it entirely depends.

If I buy a set of gardening tools at the Dollar Store for $5, I expect they'll break and/or rust the first year. If I buy a quality set of gardening tools at Home Depot for $20, I expect they'll last me 10 years. If I buy a set of tools from a specialty retailer like Smith & Hawken for $50, I expect they'll last me 10 years.

Home Depot clearly has the best quality/price ratio in this example.

On the other hand, if I go to Kohl's and buy Hanes undershirts for my husband BOGO (works out to 6 shirts for $12 or so) I'm getting a much better value than going to Neiman-Marcus and buying one Armani undershirt for $25, and my guess is that the Hanes shirts will hold as well if not better in the long run.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 AM

26,589 posts, read 53,132,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
The price of clothing has more to do with what is in fashion than anything to do with quality.

I have some clothes that I have purchased used that have lasted longer than some items purchased new.
I don't buy used clothes. It's a long story, but I just can't bring myself to do it. That said, I do have one particular item in my wardrobe that I spend big money on. $130 for a pair of pants, I have six pair of the same pants in several colors. They are chinos and need no ironing, plus the fit is fabulous. But the best part--my oldest pairs which are now over five years old still look like new despite being washed weekly. (I wear these pants to work daily and have for over four years now.) They've outlasted pants I've bought elsewhere in the meantime by years.

The manufacturer also strongly believes in fair trade, anti-sweatshop labor, and giving back to the local communities where their stores are based. They adhere to SA8000, source many of their fabrics from organic materials, and are socially aware. For that I'm willing to pay a higher price, because I know it's being reinvested, not lining some executives pockets.

So I can spend $30 on a pair of pants at Old Navy that fall apart ofter a single season and were produced in a sweatshop, or I can spend $130 on a pair of pants that will last a decade and were produced by a company with a conscious. The answer seems pretty clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living