U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:31 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,155,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".

Yes, you can spot a WALMART shopper a block away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 PM

13,711 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
The price of clothing has more to do with what is in fashion than anything to do with quality.

I have some clothes that I have purchased used that have lasted longer than some items purchased new.
Agreed many of the high priced clothing found in high-end boutiques and in the upscale department stores are made in the same locations and sweatshops as many of the lower end products.

Find brands that you like and that you like the fit and then keep an eye on any deals that you can make on them.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:41 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,467,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121
"If you pay less for something, expect it to be an incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product".
Thats a very strong statement today!!!!

DO NOT TRY TO GET SOMETHING FOR A LOWER PRICE,you will be sorry

Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
Dude111 wrote: DO NOT TRY TO GET SOMETHING FOR A LOWER PRICE,you will be sorry be

If you actually believe this and actually make your purchases using this strategy, you are wasting a lot of your hard earned money. Every house I've ever bought was at a discount of 10% or more BELOW the listed price.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:35 PM

7,969 posts, read 6,720,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I may be wrong but I don't think Craig had cooking oil, rice, etc., on his mind when he posted that comment. I'm not discounting anything else in your post since it is a good post on comparison shopping, which some people don't do, either by not bothering or not knowing. If a person does take the time to comparison shop for groceries they can quite often find great bargains, as you've shown.

But, it's other things that may be "incomplete product, a broken product or the wrong product". Like tv's, washer/dryers, toaster oven, blenders, lawn products such as mowers, weeders, edgers, etc., etc., etc.

Like I had posted earlier, discount places like Wal Mart have many things that are specifically made for them. If you plan on purchasing a tv for example, you can go to Best Buy and find a Toshiba that you like. You write down the model number, etc., and decide to try and find it somewhere else cheaper. So you end up at Wal Mart and you see the exact same Toshiba tv for a cheaper amount, except, the model number is different. Everything about the tv matches up to the one from Best Buy, except the numbers and the price.

Wal Mart can sell that product cheaper than Best Buy since it was made for Wal Mart and it had been made to sell cheaper, from using cheaper parts than what was used to make the tv that Best Buy was selling.

If you buy the tv from Wal Mart you may get lucky, the tv may last the normal lifespan and you would have gotten a really get a deal. But, being made with cheaper products it will be a crap shoot if you get a good one.
Quite often a manufacturer will sell the identical product with somewhat different model number to end sellers so the seller can claim it is not the same model a competitor is selling thus does not have to honor any we match price offers. Sometimes there will be a difference like only color to set them apart.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:13 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
Last week I bought a refrigerator for $473 at the Sears outlet store that retailed for $949, simply because it had a small dent in the door, that a common refrigerator magnet easily hides. $500 off for a small dent....I can live ( quite happily ) with that!

Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Then, go to a convenience store, in a high diversity neighborhood, with bars on the windows, and buy the best products on earth.

A $60K Mercedes may be "better" in some respects than a $30K Toyota, but not because the Toyota is broken, incomplete or doesn't work. Have you seen any used Maseratis around with over 200,000 miles on them?

Old 09-30-2015, 12:05 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,671,042 times
No absolutely don't believe it. It's possible sometimes but not always. We have paid less for certain items many times and they are not defective or break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living