U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,819,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
OUCH! $65 a year? And that's if the price doesn't go up. Maybe for large families that would be a good investment but for a family of 2.... that's not really a good idea. But I'm glad it saved the OP money.

Want a good site, for free? HillbillyHouseWife www.hillbillyhousewife.com
Check out the site....they have an article for $45 weekly menu for 4-6 people $45 Emergency Menu for 4 to 6 | Hillbilly Housewife

Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM

13,734 posts, read 22,922,213 times
One thing that always amazes me is the refusal that some have to paying for education. People will pay tens of thousands of dollars for a college education which includes at least 15-20 courses that are pretty worthless. However, if they are asked to spend $100 for a day seminar to advance their knowledge, they cry bloody murder.

E-mealz costs a whopping $1.25/week and it helps people plan their menus and the like. If each family that subscribed to the service ate just ONE FEWER meal in a restaurant, the return on the investment would be substantial.

Personally, I cannot see how the OP is saving 75% on her grocery bill by planning out a weekly menu but I have NO DOUBT that she is saving a lot more than she is spending.

As for me, I have no interest in meal planning, period. I do not plan my meals in advance. I do not carry a grocery list EXCEPT to remind me that I still have not bought those @#$% #4 coffee filters and have only six left. My menu plans are made at the grocery store when I see the specials and this week's prices. And as I shop for the most part at local independents, ethnic groceries, and Aldi, I do not think that E-mealz would be of any use.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,589,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If I saved 75% on my food bill, I would be spending $25 / month. (for 2)

Already this week (and it's only Monday!); Grilled Salmon, Crab, Fresh fruit smoothies (from our own frozen fruit + $.29/# apples, pears, oranges and melons), H & C omelets, Steel cut oatmeal, Apple salad, Broccoli salad. Yum, I'm hungry even after my brownie and Ice Cream.

I shop 'lost leaders' and coupons, I stick $100/ month in an envelope for both groceries and eating out, when it is gone (rarely), we don't eat. No big deal, freezer is full of berries, salmon, steak, ribs. In a pinch, we can always live on Top Ramen for $.10 / day /each. We also volunteer at a homeless shelter, so can eat there in a pinch. Or 'dumpster dive' with my buddies
Wow! Wish I lived with you all so I could learn these techniques!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
I'm seriously missing something here. What did I do wrong?

I went to their site and looked at their "sample". I estimated the price at my supermarket for the ingredients of their first three meals for two. The price came to $25.50, for six meals, which is four bucks a meal. That would be $120 a month, for dinner only, one meal a day. Some things were in parentheses, labeled as "staples", which have already been paid for separately.

I eat three meals a day, and my grocery bill all goes on my credit card, and it rarely goes over $80 a month, including snacks and beverages, and a few non-food items.

Some of the things on the list were "bag of salad" and "can of frozen pizza dough". I have absolutely no idea how much those things cost, so maybe my price estimate was off by a bit.

I agree that it might be a decent idea, for someone who has no sense of meal planning or who throws a lot of impulse items or pre-packaged quickie packs in their cart. But there must be dozens of websites with meal-planner features, that you don't need to pay for.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM

12,635 posts, read 14,670,082 times
I see this is an old thread and that I commented on it several years ago. I did end up signing up very briefly. When I did, one of the "meals" that was on my menu was Hot Pockets. Really?! Well ya, I could use coupons and buy stuff like Hot Pockets and spend very little on food, but my husband wouldn't eat it.

That was a few years ago and maybe they've improved by now. But I don't need to spend $1.25 a week for someone to tell me to serve Hot Pockets for dinner.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,355,928 times
I first learned of the Emeals site thru the Dave Ramsey website a couple years ago, & I signed up for it for about 6 mths. I really liked how they combined the sales with recipes, & I since always use coupons, I found that I saved quite a bit.
I quit using it after I learned their techniques. But I thought they were well worth the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living