Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,962 times

Advertisements

I'll admit it, I don't budget and I'm a great cook..but I'm a horrible food planner. I'll go to the grocery store and spend $120 a week for two people and have no idea what I just bought, or what we are having for dinner. I signed up for e-mealz...you can google their site, and wow!!!!! I spent $60 dollars for my weekly groceries this week. That also included paper towels and the such as well. They give you a meal plan based on what sales are at the store of your choice. I signed up for the lowfat meals for two/5 meals. The ingredients for the week corelate with weekly specials and coupons you might have. They give you a separate ingredient list and a separate list of meals for the week. They all take under 30 minutes to make and they taste great! Take a look at their website. It's only $5.00 a month. I'll admit that looking at my grocery cart at the end of the shopping trip looked rather bare and I thought: this is not going to feed the two of us for a week. It did and we had leftovers each meal!!!!! I am going to save $300 in groceries per month and I'm soooooo excited! No more wasting money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I'll admit it, I don't budget and I'm a great cook..but I'm a horrible food planner. I'll go to the grocery store and spend $120 a week for two people and have no idea what I just bought, or what we are having for dinner. I signed up for e-mealz...you can google their site, and wow!!!!! I spent $60 dollars for my weekly groceries this week. That also included paper towels and the such as well. They give you a meal plan based on what sales are at the store of your choice. I signed up for the lowfat meals for two/5 meals. The ingredients for the week corelate with weekly specials and coupons you might have. They give you a separate ingredient list and a separate list of meals for the week. They all take under 30 minutes to make and they taste great! Take a look at their website. It's only $5.00 a month. I'll admit that looking at my grocery cart at the end of the shopping trip looked rather bare and I thought: this is not going to feed the two of us for a week. It did and we had leftovers each meal!!!!! I am going to save $300 in groceries per month and I'm soooooo excited! No more wasting money!
I've looked at their website and wondered how it was. Thanks for the review! One thing I was wishing is that you could see a sample week of menus from each of the types of diets to see which one would work for us. Because I would like to eat low carb but my DH has to have a substantial amount of food and doesn't care about the carbs; need something that will work for both of us!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:45 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I've looked at their website and wondered how it was. Thanks for the review! One thing I was wishing is that you could see a sample week of menus from each of the types of diets to see which one would work for us. Because I would like to eat low carb but my DH has to have a substantial amount of food and doesn't care about the carbs; need something that will work for both of us!
Agreed. Could you post a few sample meals so we know what it's like? I'm not big on processed foods or tons of ground beef, and I love my fresh veggies, and I can't eat gluten regularly (I know, I'm a pain) so I'd like to see what sort of options they have.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:26 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,962 times
Actually it's rare that the list uses processed foods. That's the whole idea...you save more money since you actually cook rather than getting things that are quick and easy. There's a veggie, meat, starches in all the meals. Uses all of the food groups. For example in the last two weeks we've had barbeque meatballs, steamed broc, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, enchilada pie, beef and wild rice bake, parm chicken with pasta, english peas, strata....for example. I think they do offer gluten free maybe, and I know they have a lot of different plans. I'm not sure about the low carb, because I got the low fat meal for two. We have tons of leftovers after each meal. I don't care about the low carb meal plan offered. 4 days a week at the gym with weight training so that I can stay trim and I need all the carbs I can get. You basically end up with a cart full of real food instead of processed junk that looks fast and easy, but in reality it just takes your hard earned money.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,804 times
I looked at the site and some of the meals contain fish which my family cannot eat, how do we get around these meals

Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
If I saved 75% on my food bill, I would be spending $25 / month. (for 2)

Already this week (and it's only Monday!); Grilled Salmon, Crab, Fresh fruit smoothies (from our own frozen fruit + $.29/# apples, pears, oranges and melons), H & C omelets, Steel cut oatmeal, Apple salad, Broccoli salad. Yum, I'm hungry even after my brownie and Ice Cream.

I shop 'lost leaders' and coupons, I stick $100/ month in an envelope for both groceries and eating out, when it is gone (rarely), we don't eat. No big deal, freezer is full of berries, salmon, steak, ribs. In a pinch, we can always live on Top Ramen for $.10 / day /each. We also volunteer at a homeless shelter, so can eat there in a pinch. Or 'dumpster dive' with my buddies

Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
OUCH! $65 a year? And that's if the price doesn't go up. Maybe for large families that would be a good investment but for a family of 2.... that's not really a good idea. But I'm glad it saved the OP money.

Want a good site, for free? HillbillyHouseWife www.hillbillyhousewife.com
Check out the site....they have an article for $45 weekly menu for 4-6 people http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm

Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Thought I would revive this thread since Groupon currently has e-mealz.com at half price (ends today, 1/18/11). E-Mealz Deal of the Day | Groupon Amarillo

There are some good recommendations here, but I've also read other forums (like Dave Ramsey), where they thought it wasn't worth it. A lot of folks mention the processed food part, but mjohnson185 above, debunked that pretty well.

A couple of recommendations I read were a book called Saving Dinner. Amazon.com: Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping Lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table (9780345516299): Leanne Ely: Books

Also a meal planning website that is free: Monthly Meal Planner, Menu Planner, Free Recipe Website, Dinner Ideas, Monthly Menu Planner, Monthly Meal Plan, monthly menu plan, Monthly Meal Planning, monthly menu planning, meal plan, family meal planner, family menu planner, easy meal planning,

Anyway, would like to hear from any folks that have tried e-mealz.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Seems like this would be a real bargain in the long run. It wouldn't take long to learn how to do yourself and then you could dispense with their services.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Seems like this would be a real bargain in the long run. It wouldn't take long to learn how to do yourself and then you could dispense with their services.
The key to their service is that they coincide their menus with the current weeks sales at your particular store. So if chicken is on sale, you meals will have more chicken in it. They do the leg work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living