U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,057,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I currently drive a 10-year-old Honda, and I'm going drive that thing until it absolutely falls apart even though I can absolutely afford to buy a new vehicle. What's keeping me out of the showroom? Mostly, the cost of registration and insurance. Right now, my annual registration is a pittance, and I carry the absolute minimum in auto insurance allowed by my state. Sure, the old car costs me a bit each year to keep it running smoothly, but it's still way less than the carrying costs for a brand new version. Before you make your decision, take the time to add in all those extras like insurance deductibles, registration, and taxes.
Yes, I agree 110%. Way to many people forget that there are several different cost to every car/truck.
1.) Purchase price
2.) Depreciation
3.) Insurance
4.) Maintenance
5.) Fuel & lube oils/grease
6.) Personal add on's
7.) Garaging (for some)
8.) Loan interest
9.) State registration & plates
10) Sales tax &/or personal property tax

So as all can see the cost of the car and the fuel to feed it are always the smallest cost of all. A kept car is the cheapest car you'll ever own so keep it up well 'cause cars are always a money pit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,377,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I've had a lot of success going this route. I take my time and search out an older, boring sedan that was owned by a senior citizen. Low miles, well maintained and kept in a garage it's whole life. There is an initial repair cost when I press them into heavy service then they last for years.
Yeah, my Aunt gave a cousin her old car with only maybe 10-20k miles, even though the car was probably 10 years old but in the garage most of the time.

My old car sold for $2000 on a consignment lot, it was about 10 years old but with new battery, new Michelin tires, new CD/MP3 radio. It had ~165k miles and should have had 75-100k more left in it (my relative had a similar model with ~230k miles still running). The only thing it needed was brakes/master cylinder.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,377,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
It's a chain, not a belt. It's not supposed to break at all so there was no neglected maintenance, and when it does break, it whips around in the engine and can damage other things. There was a 50% chance that I would have had to replace the entire engine, but thankfully there was no damage that they could see so I was able to just replace the chain. Buuut they don't know if it will affect anything later on down the line.

Like I said, I'll keep it for another six months at the least, which I don't view as throwing away repair money.
It seems there are others that complain of the breaking chain, even though the chain should last a long time. According to some comments there were recalls on certain models.

Consumer complaints about Saturn Engine Problems

Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 PM

16,531 posts, read 20,094,501 times
Default Drive 27YO and a 24YO cars

I drive a 27 year old Toyotal 5speed Celica with 147k miles and I drive another, an 85 Toyota Supra with 137k miles. They will definitely outlive me!

The key to keeping older cars is lots of research and finding a truly reliable mechanic you can turn to in time of need.

My mechanic is a mile walk from my house, but I'm fortunate to have two vehicles, so when one goes down, I have the other to get around in.

Extremely cheap liability insurance on both and license fees that make you smile when you write out the checks.

They're both fun to drive and economical with gas and I love the designs of both cars.

I look upon cars as pets and I humanize them to the nth degree. Now that the statistics are out that 68% of car owners talk to their cars, I jabber to mine now endlessly. Feeling a little low, I go out to the garage and pour out my troubles to my "friends" who are always there to listen and encourage me to stick a key into one of them and give them some exercise and help to forget all my woes.

Even if I park in a parking ramp, up to the top floor I'll go to park. Why?
So they'll have a nice view while I'm shopping.

Friends til' death do us part.

Last edited by tijlover; 07-23-2009 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,686,543 times
My newest car is a 96 Subie with 170 k. My other car is a 92 Buick Roadmaster Wagon with over 180k on it. I bought the Subie for 5 grand cash and the Buick for $2500. I decide wether to do a major repair by asking if I would buy the repaired car for that price. Unfortunately both have the typical New England salt induced rust. I really envy you guys in the southwest.

I simply will not either buy a new car or take out a loan to buy an old one. I have a savings account for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living