U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,829,798 times

Advertisements

We order from Zenni but there are other online discount options as well. We've been pleased with our purchases so far but our Rx's are fairly simple. DH's lenses alone are over $200 retail, now he pays around $50 for complete glasses from Zenni.

My last pair of retail glasses was nothing fancy but still $150 and the frames were wearing out in well under a year (but beyond the 3 month warranty). I've had a $29 pair from Zenni for over a year now and they are holding up fine.

Be prepared for the shipping to take longer than they say and customer service can be hard to reach but I can overlook those things considering we are saving many hundreds of dollars a year on glasses for the entire family. We have the Rx's checked each time and they have been spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,449,644 times
My husband ordered a few pairs from there. They are totally fine. He has not had a problem at all with them. The only thing (if I am remembering right) is they took a long time to get here. I think they come from China. So he contacted them and they said they were 'held up at customs' or something like that...

Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,829 posts, read 37,506,287 times
I tried Zenni & 39dollar

Zenni will not return my inquiries and I think they messed the lenses up (progressive).

$39 was prompt in my inquiries, sent a prepaid mailer, and are re-cutting as they messed up.

I seem to be stuck with me Zenni pair, an they need fixin.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 PM

102 posts, read 262,189 times
I've ordered from Zenni. They're okay, kinda cheap quality. I don't mind because I primarily wear contacts. They take a long time to arrive though.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,115,738 times
I got my two pairs of eyeglasses today, five weeks after ordering.

I'm pretty happy with both of them. It looks like they did a good job with the grinding and polishing of the lenses.

One pair is a titanium frame with progressive, photochromic, mid-index lenses. Both the distance correction and the reading correction seem fine. The AR coating looks good, and they darken up in sunlight and lighten up inside just like they're supposed to.

I have a really strong correction, and I was a bit worried that the mid-index lenses would be too thick (Zenni does not do progressives with high index lenses). But they look good, and they're pretty flattering if I do say so myself. I ordered a frame with small, narrow lenses to minimize the 'coke bottle' effect . The lenses may be 1 mm thicker than a comparable pair of my older glasses with high index lenses. But it's not very noticeable from the side because they did a good job on the edges of the lenses, and the color of the lens and the frame are similar. This pair of glasses cost $100. Compared to over $600 for my last pair of glasses bought from a local optician.

The second pair is a plastic frame with single-vision lenses and dark (80%) tint, these will be my prescription sunglasses. I could have ordered high-index lenses for this pair, but I didn't. I got the mid-index to save money. With a plastic frame and the dark tint the thickness of the lenses isn't noticeable. They cost $15.00.

I'm pretty thrilled with this. For less than the cost of a pair of decent shoes, I can get a new pair of eyeglasses. I wear glasses all the time, so it would be great to have different pairs of glasses to suit my mood or whatever.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:21 AM

192 posts, read 776,754 times
Just received 2 pr from goggles4u.com they are very nice frames and lenses, not the cheapest out there, progressive top and bottom script, 10 days to deliver. Will do business with them again for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living