U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:15 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,112,954 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ordered eyeglasses online from Zenni?

The $600 pair of eyeglasses that I bought less than 3 yrs. ago from a local optician are falling apart. I've got 'em held together with crazy glue for now but I don't know how long it's going to last.

Even though I'm quite nearsighted (-7.00), and old (need progressive lenses) and prefer Transitions or photochromic lenses, I'm getting tired of spending a small fortune for eyeglasses. I could get a pair of glasses that would meet my needs for about $100 from Zenni. Or I could get glasses with clear lenses for about $80 and prescription sunglasses for $20. Really, I could go wild here.

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's experience ordering from Zenni Optical, the cheapest of the cheap of the online eyeglass stores. Quality, accuracy, shipping time, customer service, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:41 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,364,557 times
You should get frames that are metal, or mostly metal. You mention the glasses are falling apart, from what part? Also, the frames should have a full border around the lens (not some strange special lens mount like wire (on some)).

Old 07-04-2009, 03:07 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,022,377 times
I've ordered many eyeglasses from Zenni. I have mixed feelings. They offer a variety of lens types including high-index, progressive, and many frame styles. I'm currently wearing a pair with progressive lens and high-index because I don't care at all for the coke-bottle look. The coke-bottle look is what I seek to avoid in all my eyeglasses and up until this year, Zenni has been able to satisfy my needs for two pairs that ordered from them.

Something happened at the beginning of the year however. Maybe their best technician quit or something, but the lens cut and bevel hasn't been to my satisfaction. Too much lens edge showing and hence the coke-bottle look. I've tried 4-5 different pairs this year and no luck. My next pair will not be through Zenni as I have lost confidence in their cuts. Even if I order the exact same pair that I wear now (a pair that doesn't show the coke-bottle look), I have no confidence that they would make them right. So IMO, the quality of their lens cut and bevel has greatly diminished. But you can't beat the price.

Their customer service is fine and they will issue partial credit for eyeglasses that you're not satified with or full credit for eyeglasses that are defective. For the price, you should pick a pair and see how they work for you. Other than my paticular problem, the eyeglasses that I have purchased from Zenni have been adequate.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
You should get frames that are metal, or mostly metal. You mention the glasses are falling apart, from what part? Also, the frames should have a full border around the lens (not some strange special lens mount like wire (on some)).
My frames do have the lens mounted on wire, and the wire has started to fray. I wouldn't mind if they'd been cheap glasses, but they weren't, and I've always handled them carefully.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I've ordered many eyeglasses from Zenni. I have mixed feelings. They offer a variety of lens types including high-index, progressive, and many frame styles. I'm currently wearing a pair with progressive lens and high-index because I don't care at all for the coke-bottle look. The coke-bottle look is what I seek to avoid in all my eyeglasses and up until this year, Zenni has been able to satisfy my needs for two pairs that ordered from them.

Something happened at the beginning of the year however. Maybe their best technician quit or something, but the lens cut and bevel hasn't been to my satisfaction. Too much lens edge showing and hence the coke-bottle look. I've tried 4-5 different pairs this year and no luck. My next pair will not be through Zenni as I have lost confidence in their cuts. Even if I order the exact same pair that I wear now (a pair that doesn't show the coke-bottle look), I have no confidence that they would make them right. So IMO, the quality of their lens cut and bevel has greatly diminished. But you can't beat the price.

Their customer service is fine and they will issue partial credit for eyeglasses that you're not satified with or full credit for eyeglasses that are defective. For the price, you should pick a pair and see how they work for you. Other than my paticular problem, the eyeglasses that I have purchased from Zenni have been adequate.
That's what I was afraid of, the coke-bottle look. I was hoping I could diminish it somewhat by ordering frames with small lenses.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,582,076 times
Another place like Zenni is 39dollarglasses.com.

I have thought about trying one of those on line places, but I use progressive lenses which, at least for me, have to be adjusted perfectly to work properly. Sometimes this take several trips back to the optometrist. There is no way to do this with an on line place.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
That's what I was afraid of, the coke-bottle look. I was hoping I could diminish it somewhat by ordering frames with small lenses.
If they polish and bevel the edges, it will avoid (mostly) the thick edge look. Yes, a smaller lens size will reduce the weight and lens thickness, however the range of vision will go down somewhat since the area covered by the smaller lens is less. I would suggest smaller lens though, it's lighter and more comfortable over a whole day (I just have to wear my previous and larger lens for night driving sometimes, to get more peripheral vision).

Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 AM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
My frames do have the lens mounted on wire, and the wire has started to fray. I wouldn't mind if they'd been cheap glasses, but they weren't, and I've always handled them carefully.
From a mechanical point of view, this design is not very strong. The titanium full frames are probably the best strength ones (although some a pretty thin, maybe too thin), or any stainless/steel or aluminum full frame. Plastic eventually cracks.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 AM

I just ordered a couple of pairs of glasses from Zenni. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

I know the titanium frames are strong--my old glasses are titanium full rims and they've held up well. However, this time I ordered a pair of rimless titanium frames, with progressive & photochromatic lenses for about $100. For that price, I'm not that concerned about how durable they are. And a pair of plastic frames with dark tinted lenses for $15.00, because I wanted a pair of sunglasses with a good, dark tint.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 AM

393 posts, read 1,027,619 times
I just got 2 pairs I ordered from Zenni. They are okay. Quality is a little lacking, but for $22 shipped, I can't complain. Got the basic lens that's included in the price. Took 3 weeks between order and arrival.

I ordered a pair from LBW Eyewear a couple of months ago. They are excellent. Perfect quality. 10 days between order and arrival. Got the 1.61 lens for $10 more. Paid $33 shipped.

Both places, the script was dead on.

Would I order from Zenni again? Probably not.
Would I order from LBW again? Most def.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living