Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this in another thread but have any of you heard of Angel Food Ministries? (Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries ) For $30 you get enough food to feed a family of 4 for a week. In last month's package we got 4 ribeye steaks, 4 boneless pork chops, a pound of hamburger, a frozen Banquet type hamburger/macaroni dinner, a dozen eggs, rice, frozen lima beans frozen corn, and quite a bit more. Go to the web site and click on "this month's menu" to see what's up for delivery for September. Then click on "find a local site" to find where to pick it up in your area. The package I told about is the signature box. Scroll on down and they have extra packages you can also buy. We grilled a couple of the ribeyes yesterday and cooked the pork chops last week. We were able to cut both with a fork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 03:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I mentioned this in another thread but have any of you heard of Angel Food Ministries? (Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries ) For $30 you get enough food to feed a family of 4 for a week. In last month's package we got 4 ribeye steaks, 4 boneless pork chops, a pound of hamburger, a frozen Banquet type hamburger/macaroni dinner, a dozen eggs, rice, frozen lima beans frozen corn, and quite a bit more. Go to the web site and click on "this month's menu" to see what's up for delivery for September. Then click on "find a local site" to find where to pick it up in your area. The package I told about is the signature box. Scroll on down and they have extra packages you can also buy. We grilled a couple of the ribeyes yesterday and cooked the pork chops last week. We were able to cut both with a fork.
The current "Assorted Meat Grill Package" works out to about $3.30 a pound. Eeek! The "Assorted Meat & Chicken Combo" works out to $4.40! Double Eeek!

Their Thanksgiving Box looks like a good deal though!

Old 09-06-2009, 03:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Resistance is futile.........

McDonald's Menu

And I just couldn't resist!!

Old 09-06-2009, 03:59 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I just got the meat that comes with the signature package. That's plenty for my wife and I.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytes View Post
My grocery list for the week:
-Chicken legs, back attached: $6.55 ($1.67/lb)
-12-pack of 1 litre wide-mouth mason jars (for storing bulk beans and grains): $12.74
-Blueberries: $8/4 lbs (on sale from $10)
-Broccoli: $1.57 ($1.50/lb)
-Carrots: $1.41 ($0.98/lb)
-Excel gum: $4.39/60 pieces
-Dozen large eggs: $2.69
-Red cabbage: $2.12 ($0.88/lb)
-Red potatoes: $2.30 ($0.98/lb)
-No-name block of cheddar cheese: $13 ($13/lb)
-Store-brand extra-virgin olive oil:$7.69/500 ml
My grocery store has a 15% off deal once a month on orders over $50, so the total was $52.15, including gst. It'll be enough for two adults for about a week. The menu for this week:
Dinners:
1) Lentil and vegetable curry with rice. Dessert: fresh blueberries.
2) Spicy cabbage and vegetable soup with homemade bagels. Dessert: rice pudding.
3) Chicken pot pie. Dessert: baked apples.
4) Chickpea hot pot. Dessert: homemade banana-oatmeal cookies (frozen leftovers from last week)
5) Vegetable stir fry with rice. Dessert: blueberry crumble.
6) Hearty sausage, bean, and vegetable soup with homemade bread. Dessert: leftover blueberry crumble.
7) Cheesy baked potatoes with steamed vegetables. Dessert: homemade banana-oatmeal cookies.
Breakfasts:
A choice of
1) yoghurt and granola with fruit
2) hot cereal with pieces of frozen fruit
3) pancakes with maple syrup
4) eggs
Lunches:
Either leftovers from the previous night's dinners, or a sandwich. I keep supplies of tuna, peanut butter and honey, and homemade hummus around for sandwiches.
Other:
-Cheesy dog biscuits
-Dog food
I try to stock up on bulk non-perishables like flour, rice, beans, canned tomatoes if they're cheap, as well as baking supplies (sugar, baking soda/baking powder, cocoa, oil, honey on sale) so that when I go shopping, I don't need to buy much more than vegetables to make up a meal. We rarely eat meat (well, the dog regularly eats meat. The two human family members aren't so lucky), but the chicken was on sale this week.
I think the only really expensive things on my average list are the pre-prepared curry paste (but I'm looking for a recipe to make my own) and real maple syrup. I can't stand corn-syrup pancake syrups, so I'm willing to pay more for that one item.
im coming to your house for dinner sound good!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,883 times
I'm surprised that noone mentioned something I found out. Walmart here will match any advertized prices. Tried it and works at King Soopers as well. Walmart prices fairly good here but veggies very expensive~ so go to a place called Rancho Liborio for veggies~ and a few more things.

Earlier someone said they are glad they moved from Colorado springs to texas as prices were much cheaper there~ but I can beat her prices in Texas right here in Colorado Springs!
But am looking forward to going back to Az because veggie prices are so much cheaper there!

Ask your supermart if they will match advertized prices~ you may be surprised!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 AM

691 posts, read 2,328,478 times
I usually purchase whatever is buy one get one free, and stock up when that sale is on.
These are the staples:
Eggs, cheese, onions, peppers, oranges.
Treats
Meat, coffee

Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
Earlier someone said they are glad they moved from Colorado springs to texas as prices were much cheaper there~ but I can beat her prices in Texas right here in Colorado Springs!

That was me... and it blows my mind that you say that! Can you tell me where you shop (it isn't in Briargate at King Sooper, Albertsons, Super Target, Sam's Club, Costco or Walmart, for sure!)... I would LOVE to let my friends know where to buy stuff for so much less! I bought and froze gallons of milk when it went below $3 there! Ground beef for less than $1.75/lb (94/6) was UNHEARD of when we left June 29th! And eggs for 99 cents a dozen - other than during the week AFTER Easter - never saw it! Not even advertised as a "loss leader"!

Looking forward to knowing where!

(King Sooper's Labor Day special/advertised price for Gnd Bf (73/27) is $1.49/lb - more than the $1.25 they said they pay for 94/6 normally, I googled the other prices and none of the grocery stores I've heard of come CLOSE to those prices even during these huge specials this weekend!)

Old 09-07-2009, 01:03 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are a lot of other stores in SE Michigan where you can do better than the large chains - Eastern Market, Spartan stores, etc.

Personally, I never found the prices in that area to be high and was in general cheaper than Cleveland.
Thanks, I live near Ypsilanti, MI, and don't know where Eastern market is or Spartan Stores. I will check online. If Eastern market is in Detroit, then it would be an hour's drive one way to get there from here. The only grocery stores around here are Meijer, Busch's, Trader Joe's and Kroger's.

Coleman markets are very pricey, as are the farmer markets here, which are "boutique" markets, not real farmer's markets. I'll check online for Spartan stores. I did stop at an Aldi store in Canton (about 30 minutes east) last month and found the selection to be poor, the prices not cheap, and the vegetables not good at all, with very few to choose from. I have not been to Costco yet, but for a single person, the annual fee is high. The closest one is 30 minutes north. No superwalmarts around here offering groceries. No idea how they would stack up in terms of prices.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I have not been to Costco yet, but for a single person, the annual fee is high.
Another single friend and I split the cost, and we each get a card. We have other friends who want to use it, one of us takes them and they pay us a $5 temporary membership fee (we call it gas money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living