U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:15 AM

9,962 posts, read 11,848,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
My plan is not as low cost as yours but I was fortunate to get on the Sprint SERO plan when it was available.

Here's what I get:
500 anytime minutes/month
Unlimited night and weekends; nights start at 7pm
Unlimited texting and data

Was advertised at $30/mo; after tax/fees it's $33.49.

The plan is no longer offered but I'm grandfathered into it so it should keep going until I cancel, although I never plan to
Verizon.

Two phones with 2,000 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekends that I think starts at 8:00.

Everyone in the family, spread over the country, uses Verizon so we can call each other free anytime we want. I also use it for business and that is where most of the 1,000 minutes a month we do use goes.

$80 per month/$40 per phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM

16,700 posts, read 39,427,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Verizon.

Two phones with 2,000 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekends that I think starts at 8:00.

Everyone in the family, spread over the country, uses Verizon so we can call each other free anytime we want. I also use it for business and that is where most of the 1,000 minutes a month we do use goes.

$80 per month/$40 per phone.
That is not free, it is costing you $960 per year!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM

804 posts, read 1,383,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is not free, it is costing you $960 per year!
And no data or texting on top. Might not be a big deal but I find data useful for when I get lost and need to find directions on my phone or look at a map. Helps prevent me from driving around aimlessly and saves gas. I also take trips across the NYS thruway in winter and I often check local radar to spot any snow squalls headed my way. I suppose in the midwest it could be useful for avoid tornado producing storms. I'm exploring using remote desktop from my phone as well.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 PM

682 posts, read 1,830,630 times
Great suggestion! Thanks, I'm going to look into this.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM

226 posts, read 668,159 times
Anybody use Tracfone? I'm thinking about buying one and getting the 1 year service plan for $100 (includes 400 minutes). I hardly ever use my current cell phone. I have a Verizon plan and I think the Tracfone would be much cheaper for me since I don't use it much. How is the coverage in most places? Just wondering in case I have to take it on a trip somewhere and need to use it.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:27 AM

682 posts, read 1,830,630 times
Ooh, I forgot about this thread. This is another change I made. I got rid of my monthly plan with AT&T and bought a prepaid plan with Virgin Mobile for $.20 a minute. They had other options, but when I really looked at my bills, I realized I barely ever use my phone. So, I doubt I'll even spend $10 a month on my new bill. Which saves me $40, since I was paying $50 a month for my AT&T phone that I barely used.

No, I don't know anything about Tracfone, sorry. I'm excited about this new Virgin mobile plan, though.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 PM

102 posts, read 262,540 times
I bought a Boost Mobile phone because the rates were cheap (10c/min) and at the time I got free incoming text messages. I also had free (but slow) data service so I could check my GMail account.

Also, I moved someone from ATT to TMobile prepaid, where she gets 1000 minutes for $100 that don't expire for a year. Each subsequent year only costs $10 to keep the minutes from expiring. We were able to call ATT to unlock her phone, and just put in the TMobile SIM, and save ~$40/month immediately.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,692,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
Anybody use Tracfone? I'm thinking about buying one and getting the 1 year service plan for $100 (includes 400 minutes). I hardly ever use my current cell phone. I have a Verizon plan and I think the Tracfone would be much cheaper for me since I don't use it much. How is the coverage in most places? Just wondering in case I have to take it on a trip somewhere and need to use it.
Yes, I have a Tracfone and I have traveled a good deal with it. It has worked well on every one of my trips and I've had absolutely no issues with it and I have never used all of the minutes. This is really amazing because I got this phone for free after its rebate three years ago. Here's a helpful hint, if you buy a Tracfone with a free doubler card included you can get 800 minutes a year for $100 instead of 400 minutes. I just got a new camera flip phone with the doubler for $19.99 at the Wmart. My old phone is going off to college with my son. I hope this helps you.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 AM

226 posts, read 668,159 times
Sunnydee - Thanks for the info!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 AM

16,700 posts, read 39,427,735 times
Here is the TracPhone service coverage map, it looks pretty good. TracFone Nationwide Prepaid Wireless - Expanded View Of Your Calling Area

Here is the AT&T coverage map for comparison http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

The Virgin Mobile coverage map, looks a lot more sparse http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cover...areCoverage.do

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-05-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living