U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:05 AM

9,962 posts, read 11,842,726 times

Advertisements

We live in a small (5,400 population) southern town where electric golf carts as a second vehicle seem to be taking hold.

Why not? In many small towns they would make perfect second vehicles and it is part of the going green thing while saving money for a change.

I calculate I can go at least 30 miles on a single charge that costs me $1.00 which is equivalent to 80 miles per gallon in a car.

We've had a number of people in town really get into this by altering the transmission these things will go 30 mph which is the speed limit in town anyway. A trip to the grocery store might take me 5 minutes in the car and 6 minutes via golf cart but the golf cart is more fun.

Is allowed in town as long as people obey a few common sense rules. You need to have a valid drivers license. You can cross but can not ride on state highways of which we have two. This isn't a problem we just cross and drive parallel.

Drive on the right side of the street and obey all traffic laws just as you would if you were driving a car.

If driving at night you need a full set of lights.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1355/golfcart.jpg

And you know what? I enjoy it, people wave and are friendlier often stopping just to chit chat and for $4.00 a month I can do all the "in town" driving I want.

Of course this wouldn't work in Houston, Los Angeles or New York City but would it work in your town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 AM

26,589 posts, read 53,038,435 times
We have a large active adult community right behind our local grocery store plaza (also has a dentist, chiropractor, inexpensive Mexican restaurant, banks, Blockbuster, golf shop, Mc D's, liquor store, dry cleaner, etc.) and most of them use their golf carts rather than drive to run their errands.

We plan on selling the larger home we are in now once we retire and moving in there, and you betcha we'll buy and use a golf cart at that point in time!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,327,425 times
That would certainly work in areas where the weather is mild year round and rain is rare.

It sounds like a lot of fun!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Rain doesn't make a difference, the golf carts all have rain hoods for lack of a better term, just like baby strollers do.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
That would certainly work in areas where the weather is mild year round and rain is rare.

It sounds like a lot of fun!
I would estimate we have at least 300 golf cart days per year and never suffer snow or ice.

There's one that runs around town that has six seats, a radio, full set of lights and if it rains he has plastic pull down screens that keep the front dry but if the weather is bad why not wait a day or two?

But fun they are, it brings back a sense of community because most people want to talk... most of the time about their golf cart and getting around.

Our area is about 2 miles wide by 8 miles long and is actually joined towns where you can get from one to another by taking a back route through a residential area. Banks, two grocery stores, barber and beauty shops, doctors offices, hospital, county building and the post office can all be gotten to in 10 minutes tops. A dependable second car that takes $1,000 to $2,500 to purchase and $5.00 a month tops to operate and that is if you use it a lot. Sometimes it's nice just to get out and drive around especially on a summer evening.

On the few times I've been "stuck behind one" it doesn't bother me because they are a golf cart and by not using gasoline they are lessening the price of gas keeping it cheaper for me. What is not to like about that? I should add "getting stuck" behind one has never cost me more than maybe 60 seconds on my ride. Hardly worth mentioning.

Should also add there are some that go as fast as a car. The one that hauls six can reach speeds over 30 mph.

I would imagine accommodation could be made in any town with a population less than 10,000 and maybe even larger towns where rules of the road could be established.

Imagine the giant "up yours!" that could be delivered to oil exporting countries if everyone that could would use something like a golf cart.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 AM

929 posts, read 1,826,989 times
I think this is a great idea, as long as you don't get T-boned by one of those big honking trucks or SUV's.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 AM

In the state of Florida (and I expect most states) if it goes over a certain MPH it needs to be licensed and equipped jsut like a car, and that includes only being operated by a licensed car.

If I'm not mistaken, any vehicle being used on a public road, regardless of the local speed limit, needs to be licensed, insured, and able to pass inspection, including have the required saftey equipment.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In the state of Florida (and I expect most states) if it goes over a certain MPH it needs to be licensed and equipped jsut like a car, and that includes only being operated by a licensed car.

If I'm not mistaken, any vehicle being used on a public road, regardless of the local speed limit, needs to be licensed, insured, and able to pass inspection, including have the required saftey equipment.
The beauty of small town living where your single vote means something and even the mayor drives a golf cart.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,501,302 times
I don't think it's a bad idea, but only for areas that don't get much traffic. I'd rather have steel between me and some maniac in their oversized suburban assault vehicle.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 AM

339 posts, read 1,058,933 times
Where I live there is a suburb where cars are completely banned and if you want to get around by vehicle you have to use a golf cart. It's very high density (so easy also to get around by foot) and the only way in and out is by ferry or bus. However, this is not a money saving exercise because they limit the number of golf cart 'licences' and it costs around USD$700 per month just to rent one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living